You may be wondering when the wheels changed..well while i was waiting for the engine, I managed to sell the front bumper and the super lightweight SSR wheels. They didn't look stellar but man they were light as hell!
If it didn't look like a project car before, there's no denying it now
it had some JDM fenders on it which I took off. I prefer the clean-er look vs the jdm side markers.
I'm waiting for some misc parts..so while I had some downtime so I took the material off the donor door panel. I'll make my final judgement when the interior is all together on whether or not I like this black vinyl look. If it doesn't cut it, ill buy an OEM suede interior and swap it in. I like the suede in my other car a lot.
Donor Door panel that will be getting stripped
Thoughts on how it looks compared to before? I think its an upgrade over the tweed but definitely not as nice as the OEM suede though. But considering I paid nothing for it, I'm happy.
The patient has been moved into the bay, ready for the transplant
Went in like butter...lets hope it never has to come out again
Starting to button things up
RPS clutch ready for duty
One of the few new parts I've purchased
Also replaced what was left of the old steering rack bushings
and here is the final product. Like I said, its not pretty, but IDGAF. I want it to be functional and just clean.
Glad to report that the car successfully started up last night and made it's maiden voyage as well! I've put a handful of miles on it, its got something goofy goin on in the suspension and/or tire wheel setup. It shakes violently randomly while driving. I'll figure out what it is. Oh and the car needs PS bad. I need to put that on the to-do list amongst the other things...
Initally the plan was to take it to the bodyshop rather quickly, but Im going to drive it around for a few months (with front bumper installed) so i don't miss summer 2020 with the car in the shop for the whole duration.
Also figured out how the aem truboost works...so controlling boost shouldn't be an issue. I wasn't sure if it was controlled thru the ECU or what. Thankfully its pretty simple to use.
So keep in mind, the car has a very tame exhaust on it at the moment. The car was an original cali car so it had to be ultra low key. I will drive it a bit more, do some WOT pulls(haven't done any yet) and decide if I want to keep this or install the labree. I'm heavily swaying towards the latter. This quiet exhaust is muffling the single turbo goodness.
hopefully thats a wrap for now!! Thanks for following, stay tuned for minor updates...mostly me driving the crap out of this car.
I've been busy tinkering with the interior while daily driving the car. Got just over 500 city driven miles on it, so far so good! Also added a 2nd radiator fan on the front as a pusher. Got some bumper hardware so I can mount the bumper on finally. Also ordered an mr2 spyder PS pump, There are 3 main mechanical items that need to be done then the car is 100% complete.
-install electric PS pump/lines
-install new exhaust
Once those 2 are done I will button up the interior 100% with the vinyl. I already swapped out all the old cluster bulbs with LEDS and the cluster itself with OEM gauge faces. Installed a radio and double din. Its not all complete yet but ill post pics when its all done.
Oh and the car is running 12.5lbs of boost, seems to be making somewhere around 320whp according to the butt dyno. The real fun will start when I swap exhausts, the current one is way too tame. But I enjoy driving the car a lot, especially since its summer time with the tops off.
granny shifting and not double clutching like i should...
As mentioned earlier, one of the last few mechanical items left to do were get a functional power steering setup on the car. The car desperately needed it. The wheel was very hard to turn and frankly, dailying the car with no PS was becoming annoying.
MR2 sypder pump assembly. Electric and the reservoir is built into 1 unit.
After getting the pump in my posession, i proceeded to purchase all the fittings. Initally the plan was to get a line made at a local hydraulic shop but when they quoted me $300 just to make the line, I said no thanks.
I picked the driver side in front of the wheel to mount the pump. It was close to the rack and nothing else was in the way. Filling fluid with the bumper on can be a challenge but thankfully im able to access the reservoir from under the engine bay. I can use a hose to fill the fluid if needed.
Here my friend and I are taking rough measurements for a bracket that he fabbed up so I could mount the pump
AFter getting all the bits and pieces I assembled the high pressure line
Then the last thing to do was setup all the wiring. I purchased a 60A relay and using online diagrams wired it up.
The finished product! I just got it done, went for a drive, it works well. SO happy i have PS now. Next I will cover the wires up with the plastic loom and then its a wrap!
next up is sorting the coilover setup. Its got a good setup on it but it rides like a$$. It shouldn't be hard, the whole setup is practically brand new. Then its time to mount the proper exhaust system on it FINALLY!