Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
and thats a pretty looking engine bay, but I have absolutely no desire to mess with TT z32's. They are a nightmare to get around especially in the engine bay.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
and thats a pretty looking engine bay, but I have absolutely no desire to mess with TT z32's. They are a nightmare to get around especially in the engine bay.
3 worst activities is doing a turbo replacement with the engine in place, Bolt on the back of the alternster thst nobody replaces. Passenger side stock downpipe removal.

I had to cut up a 10 mil wrench to do that last job.

My friend has a VH45de engine in his track focused 300zx with electric power steering if you need any help finding what works. He had a manual rack but sticky 275 tires on the track made it really tiring to drive.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I will defintely be reaching out for details regarding the PS setup.

I would never replace a turbo in the car, its self torture :D Easier to pull the motor.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
That girdle built into the main caps is amazing.

The car is fantastic, dig the fab work.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
First time seeing this thread, I always loved the look of these cars. Awesome work so far! Keep the updates rolling!

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
That girdle built into the main caps is amazing.

The car is fantastic, dig the fab work.
The OEM configuration of the girdle/main caps is a limiting factor for the VG motor. I think people can safely make about 700hp before it gives way. I have no intentions of making that kind of power but there is an alternate solution provided by mazworx which converts the 2 bolt bottom end to a beefier 4 bolt bottom with billet hardware. Pretty cool piece of engineering.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Some progress today, not as much as I hoped but the bipolar weather wasn't exactly cooperating either.

First order of business was taking the rear bumper off the donor car. The bumper currently on the car is hideous and trash.

On that same note, the rear end is coming together. I picked up the spoiler of my choice, OEM 94+ wing. Not the most popular choice but I think with the end result it will look the part. I would love to get a diffuser out back, if i end up getting a lip for the 99 bumper I will probably do the diffuser for sure. Spoiler is just mocked. Also need to get a new 3rd brake light.

Firewall has been scuffed as well as the driver side of the engine bay. Plan is to give it another once over to make sure I get all the nooks and crannies

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Next round of action will be to move the car inside the shop, another final round of scuffing then ill prep the engine bay for primer.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
probably shoot the bay this weekend and I can begin reassembly.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
At the bodyshop watching my painter mixing the magic ingredients..

The connection is complete

and now I finally feel like I'm at the midway point of this build..! I actually sprayed it yesterday. NOTE: I did not use clear coat in the engine bay. Due to the heat it turns yellow. So this is just primer and basecoat. It wont have that shine and sparkle like the paint will on the rest of the car, but as mentioned again, im not one for pretty engine bays. As long as its clean and functional, im good with it.

After the paint dried over night, I went back today and began to put the engine bay back together. Spent my whole morning putting this thing back together. Man this shit adds up on the clock quick. I keep telling myself I'm done with cars and these builds but I keep doing this shit over and over again. fawwwk. I managed to finally remove the stickers on the radiator support and scuff it as well. It will get painted with the rest of the car. This is as good as she's gonna get for now. While I wait I will scuff down and clean up the coolant reservoir and catch cans and also flat black paint the plenum. Ordered a complete gasket kit, hoping i get it this week.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That color is going to be fantastic.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Payload arrived from z1 motorsports

had some time since im waiting. Did 2 things..reassembled the heads since they came back from the machine shop and also painted the VC's and plenum. Not looking for anything fancy under the hood..just want clean and functional as mentioned before.

After scuffing

End result-low key. Still ugly, maybe later down the line ill get a nice one

Wanted to inspect the oil pump..didn't like what I found. Its going in the trash. The cover is scored, I don't think that's normal. New OEM pump OTW.

Heads are back. Still waiting for the bottom end. I began reassembly immediately.

Heads are together for the most part. Cam gears and rear covers will be installed and tightened down to spec after they are bolted to the block

Here is my workspace. Not ideal by any means but glad I have a spot to do stuff. I don't think I've lost anything yet...but we'll find out when full blown reassembly begins lol

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Among the shipment of parts was a complete engine gasket kit

Old gaskets that have been removed so far

Cleaning up the RTV on the oilpan

Getting there. Also cleaned up the oil pickup, oil filter housing. Installed new o-rings in both and cam seals inside both heads.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be too happy about that oil pump either. Nice work! Intake looks much better with the coating.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Im almost wondering now if that non harmonic crank pulley had something to do with it. Only reason I cracked the pump open was because it was a low mileage oem pump.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Im almost wondering now if that non harmonic crank pulley had something to do with it. Only reason I cracked the pump open was because it was a low mileage oem pump.
Hmmm could be ratting the pump around a little more than it's supposed to! I think some people underestimate the importance of good balance.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
puckin machinist ruined my long weekend. i was REALLY hoping to have the shortblock in my hands so i could utilize the extra day off and put that sumbich together..

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Well I got the motor last week..its been a busy week. After getting delivery I had to order a few odds and ends so its not in the car and running yet but im pretty close.

Picking it up from the machine shop...

Loaded up..and en route to the shop

I wasted no time and immediately got to work..new oil pump and strainer installed

Water pipe Installed

Rear Main installed

Oil Pan is sealed. Bottom of the engine is complete.

I was slightly delayed because i had to buy new headstud washers. the ARP set isn't quite up to the task.

Heads are bolted down. ARP studs torqued down to 100ft/lbs with lube. Once I had the heads on, I threw the intake plenum on and the fuel injectors as well.

The exhaust valve covers dont use gaskets, straight silicone. I hope it doesn't leak

VTC solenoids installed

Starting to look like a motor again. Everything on the top of the motor is complete. Plenum, injectors, VTC, valve covers, etc...now the front of the engine is left.

Installed timing backing plates, torqued down cam gears, installed new timing belt pullies and tensioner

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom