🔧 BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

General Information

This will likely be the last z32 car I pickup. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few different varieties of z32 cars. Stock Twin setup, mild upgraded twin setup, v8 swap and now, in my opinion, the best(i hope) of them all, equal length single turbo setup.

The equal length tubular manifold plays a large role in the sound of the engine. One example I can cite is the RPS turbo manifold for the mkiv supra. It sounds delicious in large part due to its equal length headers.

I also single turbo'd my 3000GT and had similar results. It was the best sounding car I owned ever, till it burned down last year. :(

Here is a sound clip of it in all its glory. I got more vids but whats the point of uploading them now.

Not to get too far off topic, let me introduce you to my newest project. Its a 1990 300ZX which was originally TT that's got a custom made single turbo kit on it. Here is the whole list of goodies.

Engine-
87.5 mm wiseco pistons
Eagle esp high-beam rods
Clevite main and rod bearings
Super tech valvetrain
3 angle valves
Jwt r500 race cams
Under drive crank pulley
Solid aluminum mounts
New harness

Cooling-
Custom aluminum radiator
Custom modified piping and inlet
Electric fan()

Turbo kit-
Precision 6265 billet wheel turbo
Custom forward facing SS manifolds and up pipe
Custom downpipe and straight pipe single exhaust with borla muffler. All v-band.
Tial 44mm external gate v-band
Tial Q model Bov
Custom Garrett fmic core size 24"x12"x4.5"
Custom Single TB intake manifold
75mm strip TB with mustang 5.0 TPS sensor

Fuel-
FIC Hi Z Injectors. Unsure of size, probably 880cc.
Custom top mounted top feed rails
Fuel lab mini fuel pressure regulator
Dual Bosch 044 pumps, one in tank feeding external(kicks on under boost)
Stainless lines from tank and AN fittings throughout
AEM fuel filter
Painless fuel pump rewire kit

Ignition-
AEM Twinfire 4 channel ignition amplifier
NGK-BCPR7EIX plugs
Toyota Coil on plug setup with modified connectors

Driveline-
Aluminum one piece driveshaft
OS Giken triple plate clutch
OS Giken release bearing kit
Solid tranny mount
Hicas eliminated

Engine management-
HKS FCON
AEM 5 bar map sensor
AEM Air intake temp sensor
AEM Wideband
AEM Boost controller and gauge setup

Suspension
Powertrix sport street coilovers with swift spring upgrade
Adjustable arms and bushing upgrades throughout-not sure brands
18" SSR type C wheels

The bad news? Its got low oil pressure from the sound of it and has a hurt bottom end. I have yet to throw a gauge on it but its got a faint knocking sound around 3k RPM's. I purchased it knowing what I was getting myself into. Long story short, I acquired a spare built shortblock which I intend to freshen up and throw into this chassis. I plan to use the current heads which are already on the motor which is already in the car...after getting them inspected and cleaned up by a local machine shop.

For some of the older folks, you may recognize the ancient 6265 PTE turbo and the dinosaur HKS FCON engine management system. Needless to say this car was built a long time ago. The plan of attack for the time being is to get a good healthy motor into the car, then work on getting a more modern ECU into the car with some failsafes to ensure engine longevity and reliability. The current tune on the ECU has made 600whp but I plan to just get the car going again before changing more parts on it.

For now here are some pictures. The car is super fugly. But thats part of the appeal for me, once it gets mechanically squared away, she will be getting the full treatment. Full New paint, wheels, spoiler and proper rubber. It should be pristine when its all done and it will be very unique. When is the last time you heard of a single turbo VG powered z32?

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Day 2 of wrenching, today's goal was to take the entire powertrain out. I got half done, was able to drop the trans and all associated hardware. Got a good look at the OS Giken Triple that was stuffed in there too. All that's really left for the engine to come out is the motor mounts, im going to try to do that first thing in the morning.

Here is the donor motor that will be going in. Its got Wisecos/Eagles. I plan to drop it off at the machine shop tomorrow. I need to completely strip it prior to taking it. I've already taken the topend apart and sold bits and pieces of it. Plan is to just clean everything up, check clearances to ensure all is within spec and assemble it back together with OEM headgaskets.
uFOL1Yu.jpg

Trans is out!
sTqHcRn.jpg

1 piece exhaust system with borla muffler. Its light and functional but looks horrible(tip) and sounds meh from what I've heard so far....which is just idling and a couple revs. This will be getting replaced with a modified Labree catback exhaust. Note the 1 piece driveshaft as well.
ra6U7zr.jpg

Thank goodness for southern cars. only major item that needs attention are the front pinch welds they are completely bent, otherwise its not bad at all for a 1990!
Clvcsfv.jpg

1000hp worth of clutch here. Way overkill for my goals, this will be getting replaced with an RPS MAX 6 puck clutch. Only thing that I've found so far that's made me say WTF is that wiring harness which I assume is for the knock sensor just hanging out back there. (red wire on right side+black wire hard to see)Looks to me like it was never hooked up..possibly a reason why the engine wasn't so happy.
INSAbr3.jpg

Expect to see some engine out pictures tomorrow! Once its out I will immediately focus my attention on stripping the engine bay and scuffing to prep for paint....i will reveal the color of my choice to everyone once I have the engine out :)

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
So before I yank the motor out of the car, I wanted to get the donor engine stripped down and dropped off to the machine shop. So here she is stripped and then sitting in the back of my workhorse Prius :D I went ahead and dropped it off at the machine shop for a quick refresh.

uFOL1Yu.jpg

pMRW4yf.jpg

CGCHQDm.jpg

Once that was out of the way, I finished what I started with the powertrain currently in the car.
tbP3Qet.jpg

motor is out. No time to waste, got lots of work ahead of me! Got it on an engine stand and ready for disassembly
qbHclWp.jpg

I need to do something about that wrap. its not going back in the bay. too fugly and the fiberglass itches like crazy when working with it. Also gotta do something about that plenum and VC's....they are an eye sore.
1vlTa4L.jpg

Plan is to have the heads off by mid week and have the machine shop pick them up. I took the front covers off today, fuel rail, manifolds and a few odds and ends. More updates tomorrow.
dkKoA8y.jpg

Once the heads are off and out of my possession, I will start tearing this bay up to scuff it. I feel like once I get past that point the disassembly portion of this build will be behind me...After spraying the bay I can finally relax a bit...i hope. Will update over the next couple days when I make some more progress.
bbZ3jaW.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Dry fiberglass header wrap is the worst shit ever. Phatride taught me a long time ago to dip the wrap in water whilst installing so you don't cover yourself in fiberglass shards and keeps everything tight, but it doesn't help when you have to take everything back apart. Ceramic coating is the best option if possible though.

Reactions: v6buicks

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Dry fiberglass header wrap is the worst shit ever. Phatride taught me a long time ago to dip the wrap in water whilst installing so you don't cover yourself in fiberglass shards and keeps everything tight, but it doesn't help when you have to take everything back apart. Ceramic coating is the best option if possible though.

you are speaking to the choir

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
oh yea..i guess I'll give you guys an idea of where I'm going with this car. Since the powertrain is out, ill be painting the engine bay so that it matches the rest of the car. I've picked the color San Marino Blue. Here is a picture. Shooting to get some black chrome wheels on it as well...or something polished. Size wise im thinking either 18's again or 19's. With some skirts I think the z32 can pull off 19's. Probably 10.5's out back and 9.5's out front. Going to keep stock fenders and I think I'll get a 94+ wing. JDM front. Maybeee a twinZ rear diffuser if I can get it for a good price. My other car has a winfactory CS-L wing and I don't like much else other than the OEM 94+ wing which has some height to it.

May18_FMI_San_Marino_Blue_M2.JPG

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
oh yea..i guess I'll give you guys an idea of where I'm going with this car. Since the powertrain is out, ill be painting the engine bay so that it matches the rest of the car. I've picked the color San Marino Blue. Here is a picture. Shooting to get some black chrome wheels on it as well...or something polished. Size wise im thinking either 18's again or 19's. With some skirts I think the z32 can pull off 19's. Probably 10.5's out back and 9.5's out front. Going to keep stock fenders and I think I'll get a 94+ wing. JDM front. Maybeee a twinZ rear diffuser if I can get it for a good price. My other car has a winfactory CS-L wing and I don't like much else other than the OEM 94+ wing which has some height to it.

That should look sick!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

That's gonna look fantastic.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
day 3 or 4 whatever it is, I'm starting to lose track but lots of progress today. The motor that I yanked out, I completely tore it down. Plenum is off, heads are off, coolant lines, accessories, etc.....AND I found the culprit of the faint knocking sound.
n1jdbq0.jpg

ARP hardware all underneath as well
pRkvHcE.jpg

Here is the culprit. Rod bearing no.6. Hadn't quite spun yet, but was on the verge...was definitely moving around in there.
vyorSZ6.jpg

The journal on the crank is damaged, but not beyond repair. I'm going to sell this shortblock for a good price on facebook and someone with a bit of skill can easily get a na crank, 1 new rod and have themselves a nice built shortblock.
v3lC6aT.jpg

Now that the heads are off this one, they will be getting sent to the machine shop for hot tanking. Shortblock got dropped off already. While the entire engine is at the machine shop, ill begin the ardous task of disassembly of the engine bay to prep for paint...really looking forward to that... :(

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Busy the last couple days with other stuffs but got a chance to attack the car today. Undid a bunch of stuff from the firewall and engine bay in general.

Even with the engine out of the car it just looks so damn messy. Even though the bay will get painted, I have no intentions of making it pretty. I just want it to be clean and functional.
6tCPsV2.jpg

After giving it a good wash and taking off a bunch of stuff and rerouting the wire harness so its not in the way. I still need to take those stickers off the front.
b9fgxnR.jpg

Finally I got to scuffing. I did my first round with a pad on the passenger side of the engine bay. Plan is to do the driver side tomorrow and everything else. I'm hoping by Thursday I can have the bay all painted and start to put things back together again. At that point ill just be waiting for the engine parts to come back.
0jxz8Qf.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
yeah, it really is a marvel how they got everything to fit inside the engine bay. Believe it or not, this single setup is worlds easier to work on than a twin setup and it still looks bad...but honestly the picture makes it look worse than it really is. undoing the wire harness was a cinch...once everything starts to get put back together I don't think it will look so bad.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
oh I have been watching. I used to have huge dreams of big power. Now I just want reliable and for it to stop costing me money ;)

Takes a lot of work to make these engine bays look nice. Mine was covered in cosmoline and so it really needs a respray for the engine bay to be truly white/nice. I probably spent 5-10 hrs with WD40, rags and a heat gun to get all of it off.

I am like 90 percent done with our Kitchen renovations and then I can figure out what is wrong with mine, finally. I also need to rewire everything I did on the car since I am 100x better at doing that stuff than when I did those mods in 2009-2010.

Nomie,
Did you switch yours to a manual rack? Or electric power steering pump?

ahmed-enginebay.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Yoo...thanks for chiming in.

The car currently has no power steering. The rack is still there, just all the other components are missing. I'm planning on installing a P/S pump and reservoir from a newer Mr2 spyder. Haven't thought out all the details yet, but once I get these pile of parts together as a car again, I'll fight that battle when I get there.

Thread Info