• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Silverbacks MM

huh?!

Jan 18, 2012
is it a stock or aftermarket (accufab) TB? dealt with a few high idle issues on single-blade throttle bodies and wonder if that could be a contributing factor?

EDIT: just looked at the pics and notice it is the ford double-blade TB. my above post is not applicable to this issue.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I continued the search for the high idle...no luck.

TPS is ramping voltage fine.
Switched the IAC...no change.
Sprayed the hell out of everything with carb cleaner, no change in rpm.
Removed all vacuum lines to rule out components...no change.

Disconnected the IAC....idle went down.

Im going to keep lowering the IAC duty cycle and see if that fixes it.
Since this car has no Intercooler and a recirculating bypass valve, im wondering if it can relieve excess pressure good enough to keep the idle in check???????

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Zack;

In a previous post you mentioned that Silverback had 6.5 degrees of timing at 6K.

I asked if that was good or bad. But you were probably involved and didn't answer.

So....is 6.5 degrees advance at 6K good or too conservative?

Don't worry about the idle, it's consuming a lot of your time. However, if you would bring the IAC tables in the tune back to nominal values then when the high idle condition is corrected the tune won't be out of wacky. Make sense?

Bearing on the vacuum/idle situation. I now remember a few weeks prior to Louisville when I was chasing down the vacuum leak I remember finding a pinched vacuum hose (plastic) behind the glove compartment. It seems a pair of sunglasses was inadvertently pushed over the edge of the back panel in the glove compartment and found it's way between the little vacuum line and a hard place. I freed the line up but couldn't tell if it was "holed". The big leak behind the gage prolly would have hidden the small leak if in fact there is one. FWIW.

What did you discover with the wacky wipers?

Thanks for your attention to my car.

Pat

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Zack;

In a previous post you mentioned that Silverback had 6.5 degrees of timing at 6K.

I asked if that was good or bad. But you were probably involved and didn't answer.

So....is 6.5 degrees advance at 6K good or too conservative?

Don't worry about the idle, it's consuming a lot of your time. However, if you would bring the IAC tables in the tune back to nominal values then when the high idle condition is corrected the tune won't be out of wacky. Make sense?

Bearing on the vacuum/idle situation. I now remember a few weeks prior to Louisville when I was chasing down the vacuum leak I remember finding a pinched vacuum hose (plastic) behind the glove compartment. It seems a pair of sunglasses was inadvertently pushed over the edge of the back panel in the glove compartment and found it's way between the little vacuum line and a hard place. I freed the line up but couldn't tell if it was "holed". The big leak behind the gage prolly would have hidden the small leak if in fact there is one. FWIW.

What did you discover with the wacky wipers?

Thanks for your attention to my car.

Pat

Thanks for this info.
6.5 degrees of timing isnt squat. Cars with an intercooler have 14. Each degree of timing can equate to 10rwhp.

Havent looked at the wipers yet.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Hey Zack. Is it possible that the TB blade adjustment could be off? I recently had to open up the blade a hair so my IAC reading wasn't so high. That was giving me a high idle. Aftermarket BBK though...

No its where it should be (based off TPS voltage) If the TB blades adjustment are tampered with you cant get the TPS in range without modifying the screws.

I drove it to work today with the ISC transfer function modified and it idles lower and coasts to a stop without the feel of it wanting to keep going.

Still have the wacky wipers, even after I took the connector off, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease on it. I unplugged the fuse....not sure if i will have time to address this problem.

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Traveling to St. Louis tomorrow to pick up Silverback.
Zack has repaired and tested Silveback and he's ready to come home.

Thanks Zack for your welcomed help, the willingness to take on this task and your expertise and quality workmanship.

Summary of work:

Repaired broken vacuum hose behind boost gage.
Valve Job both heads to fix reported ticking. Shop found valve seals worn out.
Inspection of internal engine parts - all OK
Powder coated valve covers.
Replaced leaky power steering hose and oil filter adapter gasket.
Replaced drive belt.
Retuned tranny/converter to fix bucking. Found upshift and downshift points overlapping.
Added head cooling mod and fuel filter mod.
Cleaned MAF, Throttle body and idle air controller.

Regards,

Pat

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Yep its all good except the wacky wipers.

I got the idle down to about 800 in drive and it no longer goes 40mph with your foot off the gas.
I searched high and low for a vacuum leak and there definitely isnt one unless the bottom of the lower intake is cracked. but...17-20 in of vacuum depending on the circumstance tells me there is none. Short term fuel trims are also good.

Im going to miss the great stereo in this car!

And...I really think the car needs an intercooler. IAT's were 140 on an 80 degree day just driving around normally.

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Happy as a MM owner can be........

Pat has the car and im pretty sure he is happy. :D
It made the 350 mile trip without issue.

+1, car made a 670 mile trip home OK, gas economy has increased by a solid 2 MPG. Getting 25-26 unofficially @ 70 MPH, 90 degrees and the A/C on.

I really like what you did with the tranny shifting, so much more driveable.

Thanks again Zack, and we will see you at a national or regional event again.

Regards,

Pat

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Silverback continues to run great, oil changes clean, supercharger fluid changed, no consumption. Cooling mod is doing a great job in these triple digit temps, no hint of overheating. Thanks again Zack.

Went to the Texas Marauder meet in Waco, had a good time met some new drivers with preowned MM's including a gentleman who self installed his Trilogy. He did some great work on customizing the trunk of his car too. Pic's on MM.net site under North Texas Marauder Forum, Waco thread.

Marauderville registration and hotel are open for booking.

Regards,

Pat

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Silverback continues to run great, oil changes clean, supercharger fluid changed, no consumption. Cooling mod is doing a great job in these triple digit temps, no hint of overheating. Thanks again Zack.

Went to the Texas Marauder meet in Waco, had a good time met some new drivers with preowned MM's including a gentleman who self installed his Trilogy. He did some great work on customizing the trunk of his car too. Pic's on MM.net site under North Texas Marauder Forum, Waco thread.

Marauderville registration and hotel are open for booking.

Regards,

Pat

Good. Now make your way to Marauderville X!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info