Show off your garage v.2023

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
My second motor? Lol that isn't going on a shelf.
Coffee Table donor?

VW VR6 Engine table Garage Furniture, Car Part Furniture, Automotive Furniture, Automotive Decor, Steel Furniture, Engine Block Table, Engine Coffee Table, Passat B4, Metal Lathe Projects

Reactions: SleeperLS

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I do want to improve the already decent lighting in mine. I want to replace the 48" flourescent tubes in my existing housings, but I'm not finding PnP LED options that give any more lumen output than what is already in there, so why waste the money. Most of the ones I find at Menards or Home Depot that work with an existing ballast setup, are equal to, or less in terms of lumen output.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
One thing that has me baffled by my garage is how the previous owner setup the electrical and lighting. It makes no sense to me at all. It has 3 single bulb fixtures on a light switch. Then there are 9 portable 4' fluorescent lights plugged into outlets in the ceiling. Each one has a pull cord to turn it on. It gets sufficiently bright in there, but it's really annoying walking all around the garage having to turn lights on and off. I'm going to have to figure out how to switch a couple of those circuits and connect permanent fixtures to the boxes instead of having outlets all over my ceiling. To make it more annoying, I only have 2 wall outlets in the entire 36x26 garage.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Started my garage updates this week that I’ve been wanting to do since we moved in here June 2020.

I’ve had Gladiator cabinets for nearly 15 years now, and these old kitchen cabinets (I think) are great for storage but they are ugly as sin.

How it has looked for 3 years now

IMG_1385.jpeg

Pulled all the drawers off.

70465489492__D76295EA-3E13-45BC-8DDE-9474E2CA947B.jpeg

The sanding has started
IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

That was all a few days ago after work and about 2 hours today after work too.

Let the paint commence. 3 coats on everything,

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

Letting it all dry overnight, the other side of those need to be painted too. I think I’m gonna get a small roller and use that on these big cabinet faces instead of the brush I used for everything else.

70465488919__68DD44F5-0A6E-4DC9-AF06-AFDB9DA846E0.jpeg

bcouple

Regular
Apr 28, 2023
Started my garage updates this week that I’ve been wanting to do since we moved in here June 2020.

I’ve had Gladiator cabinets for nearly 15 years now, and these old kitchen cabinets (I think) are great for storage but they are ugly as sin.

How it has looked for 3 years now

View attachment 161192

Pulled all the drawers off.

View attachment 161194

The sanding has started
View attachment 161195
View attachment 161196

That was all a few days ago after work and about 2 hours today after work too.

Let the paint commence. 3 coats on everything,

View attachment 161197
View attachment 161198
View attachment 161199
View attachment 161200
View attachment 161201
Letting it all dry overnight, the other side of those need to be painted too. I think I’m gonna get a small roller and use that on these big cabinet faces instead of the brush I used for everything else.

View attachment 161193
It makes a lot more sense to go with black in a shop. I wish I would have done that. Even the medium blue that I picked shows the hand and finger prints.
I would how much of the light the black will eat up?

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Drawers are all put back together and in. Cabinets need the inside to be painted, will work on that later today. Plan is to do a light grey epoxy countertop once the cabinets are sorted. Will probably work on that next weekend. Later this spring, I plan on matching the heavy duty shelving with the same black/grey combo. Upright supports will be black, cross beams will be silver.
IMG_1937.jpeg

bcouple

Regular
Apr 28, 2023
Drawers are all put back together and in. Cabinets need the inside to be painted, will work on that later today. Plan is to do a light grey epoxy countertop once the cabinets are sorted. Will probably work on that next weekend. Later this spring, I plan on matching the heavy duty shelving with the same black/grey combo. Upright supports will be black, cross beams will be silver.View attachment 161214
nice, love it!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
are those lights just single string LEDs all connected together? Not a bad Idea then you can just add more as needed. Instead of trying to guess on what figure will give you the best light. nice!
Yup cheap string LEDs from Amazon. They were 6 lights per string and I bought 2.

Limited-time deal: (6 Pack) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility LED Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with ON/OFF Switch, ETL Listed https://a.co/d/dg0LUID

bcouple

Regular
Apr 28, 2023
Yup cheap string LEDs from Amazon. They were 6 lights per string and I bought 2.

Limited-time deal: (6 Pack) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility LED Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with ON/OFF Switch, ETL Listed https://a.co/d/dg0LUID
nice and you didn't have to create a heat loser by cutting into the ceiling.
Good idea. I paid $60 for the 2' x 4" in my shop OUCH

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

I bought 8 of those from ace hardware I think they were $1.50 each on sale I believe they were posted here and it’s a very nice light.

Reactions: blue-sun

bcouple

Regular
Apr 28, 2023
I bought 8 of those from ace hardware I think they were $1.50 each on sale I believe they were posted here and it’s a very nice light.
thanks beast. mounting them on a 1' x5' polished stainless steel plate would really multiply the light and look cool too
I am getting old, I needs as much light as I can get.
You wouldn't think so but seeing what I am welding is really getting effected.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Finally put those finishing touches on the cabinets (used a smooth roller for the 2 cabinets) over the brushed on look of all the drawers.

Next will be countertops, found special paint at Home Depot, just gotta grab it and get them done. Maybe this weekend, not sure. (see below). Thinking the Light Ash will match the fronts of the Gladiator cabinets best.

Then I have new storage for my hardware so I'll get rid of those 3 mismatched organizers next. Will be building a storage solution for those.

And then spraypaint the heavy duty shelving after that.
IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpeg

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Finally put those finishing touches on the cabinets (used a smooth roller for the 2 cabinets) over the brushed on look of all the drawers.

Next will be countertops, found special paint at Home Depot, just gotta grab it and get them done. Maybe this weekend, not sure. (see below). Thinking the Light Ash will match the fronts of the Gladiator cabinets best.

Then I have new storage for my hardware so I'll get rid of those 3 mismatched organizers next. Will be building a storage solution for those.

And then spraypaint the heavy duty shelving after that.
View attachment 162056

View attachment 162054
View attachment 162055
View attachment 162058

You can’t throw the storage shelves in the basement ? It would look so much better that being gone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info