Show off your garage v.2023

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
He got the next one down from mine, which has both 7,500 BTU on high and 5,000 BTU on low. Granted his is a 3 car garage vs. my 2, on those sub 30* nights last week, I ran mine on the lower setting (5,000 BTU), at around 1/4 throttle (so to speak) and it kept it between 75* - 77* in the garage.
Mine does the same and I’ve got no insulation up top. I put an oscillating fan right in front of mine. On super cold days if I’m working out there. I also have a wall mounted heater that runs off propane on the other side of my garage. Turn that fucker on low with a fan in front and I’m in shorts and a t shirt lol

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
JFC is epoxy really $8/ft!?
That's crazy. It's not that fuckin hard. Rent a grinder, chase it around, hand do the corners and angles, etch it, clean a few times and lay it down.
My guy had his done last November. So far so good after a year.

IMG_4364.jpeg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Did you not have a gas line easily accessible to run to the garage? Gas will be cheaper to run when the temps get colder.

Garage heat is a game changer. After having it for so long, I wouldn't be able to go without it.
Nope, I could have T'd in from the laundry room, but then I'd be dealing with drywall repairs and shit I didn't want to deal with, as the gas meter is on the opposite side of the house.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I could've but more work than it's worth. If it had been done before we moved in, probably a different story, but now that we've been in the house 18 years, basement has been finished, garage walls insulated and finished... Running a gas line halfway across the house, in the rafters of my dropped ceiling in the basement as well as electric (which Jared did have to do), then also have to figure in some form of venting which is more cutting through the wall/ceiling and plumbing something out. That would've netted a giant "fuck no" from the wife.

Here I paid Jared a couple bucks to lay a 240 line, which I was going to do so I could bring my lift over, anyway. The heater itself was $150, of which, I used a gift card, so I ended up only paying $30 out of pocket. Then another $40'ish for the cord and supplies Jared gave to buy. Wired it all up, plugged it in, and I have summer like temps inside the garage.

Mine is a regular sized garage, again, insulated walls, ceiling, garage door. I had the door open all day, so it was around 55* inside the garage (per my wall thermometer), after closing the door and turning the heat on, it took it 20 minutes to get it up to 72*. It's not like it's running all day/night to keep up. I did find that at the setting I keep it at to achieve my ~75*, it runs for about 13 - 15 minutes, then is off for about 30. My point being, it isn't running constantly.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Did you not have a gas line easily accessible to run to the garage? Gas will be cheaper to run when the temps get colder.

Garage heat is a game changer. After having it for so long, I wouldn't be able to go without it.
I recommended exactly that last week as I know how expensive it is to run the electric heater 24/7

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
For anyone looking to buy a garage heater, keep an eye out on Northern Tool and Menards for Mr. Heater Big Maxx unit heaters. They usually go on sale in the fall. I have a 50k BTU in my garage and my dad has one in his garage. They are amazing. The newer ones are setup to work with smart thermostats, which is really nice.

I'll probably add a wall mounted vent free gas heater at some point in the near future, in addition to the unit heater. My Big Maxx keeps up most of the time, but when temps drop below zero, it can take a long time to bring temps back up after the door has been open for too long. This is a non issue in a smaller garage , but I'm pushing it's limits at ~940 sq feet. Also when I'm welding, the blower fan on the Big Maxx is strong enough that it will blow out the argon shielding gas.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
For anyone looking to buy a garage heater, keep an eye out on Northern Tool and Menards for Mr. Heater Big Maxx unit heaters. They usually go on sale in the fall. I have a 50k BTU in my garage and my dad has one in his garage. They are amazing. The newer ones are setup to work with smart thermostats, which is really nice.

I'll probably add a wall mounted vent free gas heater at some point in the near future, in addition to the unit heater. My Big Maxx keeps up most of the time, but when temps drop below zero, it can take a long time to bring temps back up after the door has been open for too long. This is a non issue in a smaller garage , but I'm pushing it's limits at ~940 sq feet. Also when I'm welding, the blower fan on the Big Maxx is strong enough that it will blow out the argon shielding gas.
I have a big maxx. Keep the garage at 55* (no clue why you'd heat a garage to 70+) without issue and for not much $, and when i'm working in there i just increase it to 65ish, but normally it feels hot by the time it gets to 63* and i turn it off

Even when it's cold AF it'll heat the garage from 55 to 63 in like 15 minutes

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I have a big maxx. Keep the garage at 55* (no clue why you'd heat a garage to 70+) without issue and for not much $, and when i'm working in there i just increase it to 65ish, but normally it feels hot by the time it gets to 63* and i turn it off

Yup, I'll probably keep mine at 55-60*. Wanted to test how hot it'd get overnight. Apparently the wife went out there for a water this morning and opened both garage doors, before I checked the temp, so realistically the garage got to probably 88-90* before she opened the doors.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

My garage has an unfinished ceiling so I'm probably losing some heat. It's only an issue when it's really cold out. My gf will open the garage door as she's walking out the front door to the detached garage, and then take her sweet time closing it when she leaves. Leaving the door open for 5+ minutes at a time. When it was -8 degrees F last year, it had a hard time recovering and couldn't get up much above 62 degrees.

I generally keep it around 60 if I'm not out there working and will bump it up to 64-65 when I am working on something.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
My ADD kicked in yesterday. Ordered up some 4,000K garage door opener bulbs to match the 4,000K setting I have the canless lights at, so getting rid of that yellow hue. Then I ordered some under cabinet lighting, also in 4,000K to put under the Safe Racks on my wife's side. Because..... why not. Should get most of the stuff tomorrow, and then I'll dabble with putting it all together, hoping to be done by the weekend. Then maybe I'll mount the 48" Samsung TV I have collecting dust in my storage room, probably mount it to the right of the roof box under that top shelf. I'm sure I'll probably order up a sound bar and sub after that too.

1699458285415.png

1699458295628.png

1699458314798.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That reminds me, I should replace the burned out light bulb in one of my openers. I've been saying for the last 6 months that I'll replace it. Maybe today is the day 🤔
Have we got the thread for you!

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
So I think the best part of the garage update so far, is the ceiling fan. Running it in reverse to circulate the warm air that’s risen, has kept my garage at 65°. Had both doors open numerous times yesterday and today, garage got down to 55-56 and shortly after, temps stabilize. Would recommend. Haven’t run the heater since that test overnight.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
So I think the best part of the garage update so far, is the ceiling fan. Running it in reverse to circulate the warm air that’s risen, has kept my garage at 65°. Had both doors open numerous times yesterday and today, garage got down to 55-56 and shortly after, temps stabilize. Would recommend. Haven’t run the heater since that test overnight.
I'm really thinking about putting a circulation fan in our garage.
Im debating between a basic B ceiling fan like this:

Or a large oscillating fan like this that I can mount up high in an out of the way corner and run on low speed to turn shit over.

Reactions: Aircal

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm really thinking about putting a circulation fan in our garage.
Im debating between a basic B ceiling fan like this:

Or a large oscillating fan like this that I can mount up high in an out of the way corner and run on low speed to turn shit over.

I considered an oscillating, but it would just push air around instead of proper circulation in regular or reverse mode, season dependent, so I went with this one:

Reactions: Jon01
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info