• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Should I e85

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I've always liked it in the past on other cars and now Lund racing offers a flex fuel tune for the 14 mustang, currently I'm tuned on 93 but any time I'm going to spray I add either torco or race gas mixed with 93, I know on motor it will probably only be worth a tenth or two on nitrous it may be good for a little more even a couple tenths would be nice lol, the catch I will need injectors and a boost a pump $580 plus shipping and the two tunes nitrous and n/a would run me $400 ish, what would Tcg do

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I always figured e85 wasnt THAT beneficial on a NA car but I rode in someones 300hp all motor Honda last week and he mentioned switching to e85 offers a huge jump.....soooo.....i say if you dont mind the 600 bones, go for it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have the Lund Flex Fuel tune in my car finally. I should have it on the dyno in a week or so. I will post up the results of the E10 versus the E70+. So you an see the comparison between the two. But have seen others have a 10-15 rwhp increase in peak power. And nice torque gains down low. I would think on spray there would be benefits over the 93 as well.

The flex fuel tune does take 5-10 minutes of driving to adjust for the mixture of the fuel. So you have to plan ahead a little when you plan to make a fuel change and romp on the car. So keep that in mind as well. I will say the car seems to run smoother on E70+ and even sounds cleaner when revving through the rpms.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
ONLY if you can swap back and forth. When I went E85 in my C6 GS, it was great....until I found myself on E with no station close. Almost ran out a few times. Plus I went from mid 20mpg's to 12mpg. And that was babying it. The mileage sucked so bad, and being a vette they get great mileage to start with. I can only imagine it would be worse with a mustang. Talking single digit mpg. But people will say that you shouldnt be concerned about MPG when you are trying to make power. Thats fine until you underestimate your fuel range and your high HP motor wont run without any fuel at all...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I took a trip to Peoria this weekend. Much of it was cruising at higher speeds. On E85 I got 16.7mpg. I expect cruising at 65 I could have gotten better. So the MPG wasn't horrible. And being it is a flex fuel tune he could mix and match the fuel as needed. But to take advantage of the added ethanol he would want to be at least 70%.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
You went what 11.9 on motor this weekend? With the same mods as you plus e85 Lund tune these are joeys back to back passes. That was also stock pump no BAP just injectors
cc028e3a6e31734b1a35f80ab18a4657.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
There isn't much I can really do with this set up that will net me a worthwhile amount of hp for a reasonable price, I figured if I could pick up 10-15 peak and some mid to low tq for less than a grand and have the detonation resistance for when I spray plus probably a smidge more timing on the nitrous, it would probably be the best bang for the buck, now that I've tasted 10's I want 10.5's and a 1.4 60' lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have the Lund Flex Fuel tune in my car finally. I should have it on the dyno in a week or so. I will post up the results of the E10 versus the E70+. So you an see the comparison between the two. But have seen others have a 10-15 rwhp increase in peak power. And nice torque gains down low. I would think on spray there would be benefits over the 93 as well.

The flex fuel tune does take 5-10 minutes of driving to adjust for the mixture of the fuel. So you have to plan ahead a little when you plan to make a fuel change and romp on the car. So keep that in mind as well. I will say the car seems to run smoother on E70+ and even sounds cleaner when revving through the rpms.

Let me know I'm interested to see the results

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
How does that work? Is there an ethanol sensor, or do they tune for the mid-point (E45?) and let the fuel trims compensate? E10 to E85 is like a 25% swing in fuel volume.

(I know little about ford tuning)

I don't know a lot about it either lol, I'm guessing it uses the wide bands to sense the ethanol content then adjust, the o2 sensors are wide bands from the factory

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There is no sensor like GM uses. Ford has tables in the ECU already. I assume Ford did testing on different levels of ethanol to come up with the tables when working on tunes for Flex Fuel vehicles. But even non-Flex Fuel vehicles have the tables in the ECU. Aftermarket tuning companies were able to figure out what these tables were and how to use them. So with the tables, they are able to have the tune infer the ethanol percentage based on Lambda, A/F ratio, short term fuel trims and more.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info