• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Should a HS grad get into the auto mechanic line of work?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
[MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION]

Have a family friend considering going to school to be a mechanic. Anyone here have the deets on where to go, how to get the required schooling and certs without spending a million dollars on school?

How hard is it to find a job and what's Avg starting salary? Where's salary cap out?

Thanks for the input TCG!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
unless you're at a dealer or doing diesel work, it seems like its a hard career to make decent money

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it hard to get in at a dealer?
[MENTION=151]TURBOC1[/MENTION]

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
isn't there a shortage of well trained dealership mechanics incoming though? i think i read that somewhere. like if you wanted to go learn some luxo brand shit for the next year, you could probably get in somewhere.

lastls1

Reaction score
If they are local JJC has one of the best programs around. Massive shop as well. They also can assist with getting ASE testing and what to expect on those tests.

Starting jobs usually are not hard to find, but don't pay as well obviously. Sometimes you may start hourly before you get to book time.

As far as cap? Well sky is the limit when you get to book time but you will bust your ass and be in pain everyday because of it. Highest pay I saw was just over 100k in one year for master tech. Booked a shit load of hours though. All of my teachers and mechanics I worked with said if you can go to school try to do something other than turning wrenches if you can help it.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] [MENTION=79]bikrboy128[/MENTION]

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
something else a high school kid isn't thinking about: relatively little opportunity to grow in your career in any trade. You're a journeyman before you're out of your 20s, and that's it. Nowhere else to move up without getting out of what you're doing. Is the kid going to be happy swinging a wrench forever?

PANDA

Reaction score
I think with cars getting so computerized younger people will excel in this field. Old dudes had this kinda shit.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
It's doable even without schooling if you're a go-getter and looking for the niches.
Computer electronics Diagnostics and transmission work is the wave of the future as far as both the electric future as well as the gasoline/fossile future

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Get them into a refinery work on cars as a hobby

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Get them into a refinery work on cars as a hobby
This.

If their going in for a hobby, cause it's their passion and they love cars, don't do it.

I still love my job, but when it comes my shit that needs fixing :ming:

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
You can still be a mechanic at a plant just not working on cars

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
And go home and line em up down the driveway and be picky/chosey.

The best thing I've ever heard and can directly relate to is to 'never buy a car from a mechanic'. And it fits to a mother fucking T.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
For comparison, my son is interested in a truck driving career. Neighbor across the street got free training from a trucking co. in exchange for giving them one year of his life. Now, he quit them and got hired for $50K a year at a local trucking firm. He's home most evenings.

$50K isn't bad for a non college educated, 2nd year employee.

I don't know what being a mechanic pays?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
it varies greatly, and how you get compensated can vary greatly.

You can make $35+/ book hour and book 80 hrs in 50hrs of actually working
You can make a flat $15/hr and bust your ass for no extra reward doing the exact same stuff

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
i know guys making under $40k being a wrench and I know guys making $120k being a wrench.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Before the Marine recruiter called me up and sucked me in with glorious war stories and unlimited pussy with them dress blues, I was actively pursuing colleges for this exact thing; becoming a mechanic. Looking back in retrospect, I'm glad I never pursued mechanics. If working on cars is a hobby, run as far as you can from becoming an every day mechanic turning wrenches. If you're interested in the heavy equipment side of things, diesels, hydraulics, etc, absolutely get into that.

My $0.02.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yep, did autos classes all three years in high school, started going to college for automechanics and quickly realized I loved working on my own car when I could, but didn't like working on other peoples shit....

Got out at that point and started doing facilities maintenance stuff, still got to work on stuff and get my hands dirty but it wasn't always working on the same thing every day.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
My cousin has been a mechanic all this life. He started out at Toyota making good money and eventually got a loan from his dad to open his own shop. Even as a shop owner times have been tough, and it's been hard on his body. He's got gas hands and shoulders now and his neck is a problem now too. He's 44. But he doesn't need to wrench anymore. But if you were not an owner and still wrenching well into your middle age, man that's a rough life. Very hard on the body.

The Italian

But not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Get the training under his belt and then come work on the slope. I have a friend that is a heavy machinery tire guy up there, makes about $120K a year but only works about half the year. Lots of jobs like this up there if he can brave the cold and desolation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom