shortblocks

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Reaction score
Trying to decide...

Need a shortblock for my winter car, '97 LeSabre L67 swap. Bottom end has an issue, and with blocks for $80 at the u-pull I'm thinking fuck it, spend the $80 and move on. It looks like they have only a couple supercharged cars, one a 2004 GP, and a bunch of series 2/3 N/A cars.

Winter beater currently has an NIC cam and a 3.4 & 3.2 modular pulley (the 3.8 is on it right now), headers, intake stuff, 105# springs, so nothing too spectacular.

I was thinking about grabbing the newest/lowest mileage vehicle I can find, is there a good reason that a series 3 NA shortblock won't work? There are two that look promising, one has a fleet vehicle history (makes me think regular oil changes and failed transmission) and another is in a Lacross that's been wrecked pretty good. The reason I ask is it sounds like the L26 bottom end is not as strong as the L36, but it's not like I'm trying to cram 25psi into it either.

No other mods have been done or will be done on this engine. I'll be driving the car until it rots out then moving the drivetrain on into the next one. Basically all I care about is that it doesn't die again again again again (because this is the third time this year I've had to pull the engine/trans).

GTPpower

Reaction score
L26's are still plenty strong. People blow them up from kr and/or way too much timing. There is a guy in Canada that has been putting 700hp through one for years. 1quick did over 500 without a problem. My race car is getting one and should be pushing the 500hp mark.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
L26’s are fine, I put one in a s1x gen 5 build and sold it in 2011 it’s still going, my turbo car had one, I actually like the higher compression, just leave the timing low and add boost when you want to make more power they seem to like that better

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I ran 800psi through an l26 and had ZERO problems.

TurboTPI

Reaction score
Id get the one that looks most maintained, regardless the series. Pop a valve cover and see if its clean, if it is, grab it. I think either L36, or L26 you just need to be careful about KR. That seems to be the biggest killer of them.

v6buicks

Reaction score
I've had issues finding good ones. Even a really clean looking one I found with under 130k on the clock turned out to be junk. The piston rings were shot which resulted in a hard misfire on one cylinder. They weren't broken. They were just so weak that I could put the piston back in the cylinder without a ring compressor.

There are tons of perfectly good engines in the yard, but the gamble is getting riskier as these 3800s get older and older.

v6buicks

Reaction score
Sorry... I just noticed how old this is... I got to scrolling around and forgot where I was. :confused:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's not that old, you're fine, there's always a need for good information.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom