Shop recommendation for rear end rebuild??

pwrshft99

Reaction score
Need to have an 8.8 rear end set up. I pulled the housing out of the car and have disassembled the differential. I'd be bringing the bare housing and all new Ford parts in for assembly.

Anybody have a recommendation in the Chicagoland area? Any idea on price?

I let a long established, local shop handle my last rebuild. They didn't tighten a bolt on the ring gear and it backed out, trashing my gear set and differential.

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Hit up my buddy Rusty Graybeal at Graybeal automotive in shorewood. 815-725-3653 that's the shop number if you want his cell then pm me.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
Reaction score
Price... Lol people charge a mint to do these which is why I do my own!

These are not hard to do... If you have the parts already then I say buy the tools to do it yourself and learn something new!

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time,

I asked the same question.

I had a gear swap done 3-4 years ago by a well known shop in the area. Well the gear started whining after about 40,000 miles.

Then I came to the conclusion I'll learn and do it myself. If it fails. I can only be mad at myself and not someone else again. Bought a few more tools I did not have and did it. I gutted the axle and replaced everything. It really turned out to be quite simple and obviously I learned a new skill.

So many people make it sound like its brain surgery and scare others into not trying.

The end.

OP
P

pwrshft99

Reaction score
I have considered trying it, I've done all my other mods by myself. However, I'm a bit impatient and by the time I bought the tools I'd would only save a few dollars.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, still got parts to buy and some thinking to do!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom