Shifting question on 5 speed 04 mustang gt

Shells_04

ICE ICE BABY!
Reaction score
Is there a way to shift our cars without using the clutch? I was talking to my future father in law and said something about a spot in the revs in each gear where the trans can be shifted without using the clutch. Is this true? I'm not extremely car savvy so it's the first I've heard of this.

dmint

Reaction score
Only if you really hate your trans! I could do it from 1-2 with very low rpms and going slow, but I would not be apt to try it going fast. Maybe with the cars of the 60 and 70s were able to do that.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I cant say for the mustang for sure but I always thought it was the old transmitions with out syncros that you could do that with, I never tryed to shift without the clutch on any of my cars but my girlfriend shifts her eclipse with out the clutch all the time and it works fine for her but she isnt racing it either, I had asked my dad about it once and he said you wind it up tight let off the gas just a little bit and and you can feel it sync up, shift and hit the gas agian but all my 5 speed cars were expencive and i didnt want to break them so i never tryed it lol

Angus

Reaction score
I did this easily in my mustang. And actually, the higher gears were easier to rev match shift.

Basically you have to find that point in the rpms that would exactly match the speed you are moving for that gear. It's all a feel thing. And to go from a stop, you of course need to use the clutch...

IZZy