• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Shelf Life on Tires

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Whats the shelf life on Mickey Thompsons that are just sitting around? I have one tire that was relatively new when the other wore down and has been sitting in the garage. Its been sitting there for a solid year without being used, and I believe I bought it the year before.

I'd hate to replace it without it having much use on it. Is it junk? Its the bias ply Mickey Thompson ET Street.

The idea is that I'd buy one new one for the other wheel and use it with this one I have.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Sorry to thread jack... but, I am also curious about this. I bought a set of hoosier qtp tires for my monte like 7 years ago. Never used or mounted. Stored inside on their side except the last 2 years which they were stored in my non heated garage on their sides under blankets. Garbage and give them to [MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION] and let him have fun and hopefully not kill himself? Or, are they good? No cracking. Still feel soft.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Give em to me. Nobody likes me I'll take em. I read on mickey thompson that to store tires they prefer to have em inflated and not on the sidewall.

Since yours been sitting on the sides they might be slightly deformed from heat/cooling cycles. But like I said I just go by the visual, looking for indents/cracks/scratches. See how they balance when mounting, static balance since they are rears should be fine.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
abu9agej.jpg

Are those cracks?

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Honestly. I'd be a little concerned. Watch for cracks when you Mount em and roll around a bit. Inflate then deflate then inflate and see if they start to crack. Crack is bad. Only good for Burnouts and test hits then, I wouldn't even risk going 100+ with em then.

I've had a bad front tire that was like 15 years old crack apart on the sidewall Around 80 before. I noticed some looseness then when I stopped it was done for.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Sounds like your tire is only about 2ish years old. That's no problem at all. 6 years is the industry standard for when they really start to break down regardless of how they were stored. I have some MT drag radials from late 09 that I still run without a problem although next year will probably be their last.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info