Shelf Life on Tires

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Whats the shelf life on Mickey Thompsons that are just sitting around? I have one tire that was relatively new when the other wore down and has been sitting in the garage. Its been sitting there for a solid year without being used, and I believe I bought it the year before.

I'd hate to replace it without it having much use on it. Is it junk? Its the bias ply Mickey Thompson ET Street.

The idea is that I'd buy one new one for the other wheel and use it with this one I have.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's fine, especially down in your heat. Just give it a good scrub in the burnout box to get some fresh rubber.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that too, but dont wanna put junk on the car and have issues mid-pass.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mounted on wheel but not on car. In garage, but not in sun. In AZ so no freezing temps at any point.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Reaction score
No. There are plenty of other considerations beyond sidewall cracking. Especially on a soft compound tire.

Sounds like this one is perfectly kosher though. Run it.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack... but, I am also curious about this. I bought a set of hoosier qtp tires for my monte like 7 years ago. Never used or mounted. Stored inside on their side except the last 2 years which they were stored in my non heated garage on their sides under blankets. Garbage and give them to [MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION] and let him have fun and hopefully not kill himself? Or, are they good? No cracking. Still feel soft.

DynaSlim

Reaction score
Give em to me. Nobody likes me I'll take em. I read on mickey thompson that to store tires they prefer to have em inflated and not on the sidewall.

Since yours been sitting on the sides they might be slightly deformed from heat/cooling cycles. But like I said I just go by the visual, looking for indents/cracks/scratches. See how they balance when mounting, static balance since they are rears should be fine.

DynaSlim

Reaction score
Honestly. I'd be a little concerned. Watch for cracks when you Mount em and roll around a bit. Inflate then deflate then inflate and see if they start to crack. Crack is bad. Only good for Burnouts and test hits then, I wouldn't even risk going 100+ with em then.

I've had a bad front tire that was like 15 years old crack apart on the sidewall Around 80 before. I noticed some looseness then when I stopped it was done for.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are already mounted. I guess ill air them up see what they look like.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Reaction score
Sounds like your tire is only about 2ish years old. That's no problem at all. 6 years is the industry standard for when they really start to break down regardless of how they were stored. I have some MT drag radials from late 09 that I still run without a problem although next year will probably be their last.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom