LS Swap
Wheels
Sounds/Music
Suspension/Brakes
Paint
BOOST TIME!!!!

General Information

1688879068474.png

***Check out the tabs to save you the headache of reading this whole thread, also post 3 has a current mod list***

Well boys and girls my new project is finally home. Ive always had a hard on for the Donks (71-76 Caprice or Impala) and always told myself since 1994 that I was eventually going to build one. My buddy mike at the time had a 74 Caprice Vert with 30's and Vouges (google them if you dont know what they are) basically 30 spoke cragars and vouge tires. Its a classic old school gangster look. Over the years he built a few more and sold them and always offered them to me first and I declined because of my love of G Body's as well. When I bought the Regal a couple years ago, I really looked hard at the Donks and believe it or not they were going for half of what they are going for now. Even last summer they coulda been had for about a 1/3rd less maybe a little less for what they are going for now. I was set on a 71 or a 75 for 2 reasons. 71 is the most sought after and fetches the most money as its known as the ACE. 75 because it was the year I was born, and thought that would be pretty cool. Didnt care if it was a HT or Vert, kinda preferred that HT as I dont think Chgo weather is weather for Verts. Pay a extra $10k for a Vert, no thanks.

So when my buddy and I made a deal for the Regal months ago and I knew he was serious. I got serious in my search for a donk. As most of you know I went to Miami for 4 days last month. Had a shit load of them lined up to look at and found either garbage or guys that wouldnt move off what I thought was too high of a price. Few that I thought were too high, have actually sold since then, so I'm thinking price wasnt too high. While in Miami I met this dude Josh and him and I clicked and became friends. Super cool white boy who is in to donks as well, not generally something you see white boys building. He told me he would keep his eyes and ears open and if close enough would do the leg work for me. But told me if he found something I would have to hi-tail my ass down there asap as when they are priced right they sell in hours. Just so happened we decided to go down to Orlando this weekend because we found $61 RT airfare and the biggest donk/g body show just was going on. Figured I might be able to buy something there. Called Josh to tell him we were coming down and if he planned on taking his car to Orlando. He said he might know of a 71 going up for sale with a motivated buyer. I said well fuck let me know asap.

Touched down in Orlando Friday night and had to be up early Saturday to cruise to Ft Lauderdale to see this 71. Pull up to this gated community with $1m+ townhomes and get buzzed in by security. Pull up to the house and she was sitting in driveway and looked as clean as the pics I was sent. Took it for a ride, BSing with Josh, my buddy Ralphy and the owner of the car. Talking about everything from sports to woman to cars. Come to find out this rich fuck is a collector and has 2 other 71's besides the one I bought, and just purchased another on top of 6-7 other cars he has. I guess the Wife has a rule, every time he gets a new one something has to go lol. While BSing I kinda feel him out and get the idea he doesnt want this car going to a black guy who is going to ruin it with big wheels and a LS swap lol. So I played my white privilege card with him. He was asking $25k and very easily had him down to $20k. My final offer was $17.5k and he said he would sleep on it. Told him if he agreed in the morning then it was his job to get it to Orlando before Sunday night. He woke me up about 8am saying the car was mine and was on the way to Orlando. He showed up, we exchanged cash and paperwork, took it off the trailer and parked it at my Airbnb. We were going out for the day/night, so I pulled the coil so the fucker wouldnt start in case someone wanted to steal it lol. Also backed it in so a tow truck would have a hard time stealing it as well.

Talked to a few of the Chgo guys down there for the show and got lucky as one of the haulers had room for me to get her home. Car was dropped off in Midlothian today at $how and Go Customz and turns out Playboy a friend of mine just opened that shop up. Does nothing but suspension and motor work. Talked pricing about shortening my rear end, coilovers all the way around, new axels and adjustable control arms to squat this car. Basically a "California Lean". Front end will sit at stock height with a 26" rim and the rear end will squat 3-4" lower. I have some 26" Billets but probably going to put new barrels on the rear rims. Right now they are a 5.5" lip and I want that 7" lip on the rear, hence the reason for shortening the rear end. Most of you think of Donk and think of those 71-76 sitting on fucking 4x4 suspensions with 30" wheels. Yes those are donks as well, but not the look I'm shooting for.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Just a thought but maybe a DD dealer has one in stock on the shelf somewhere?
That's what got me a module I needed for mine in a pinch.
Problem is, I ordered one that hasnt been released yet. Nobody has it on the shelf as nobody has it in their car yet.
I'm supposedly one of the first 10 people that ordered this particular digi dash. Was originally told 8-10 weeks, but thats not happening lol.
Back ordered parts is a big problem right now. It seems like any cast aluminum parts, forgings, or electronics are back ordered with no estimated availability date.
Correct, its a huge problem right now

Reactions: FESTER665 and Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Problem is, I ordered one that hasnt been released yet. Nobody has it on the shelf as nobody has it in their car yet.
I'm supposedly one of the first 10 people that ordered this particular digi dash. Was originally told 8-10 weeks, but thats not happening lol.

Correct, its a huge problem right now

Ah copy. Good luck man. Things only seem to be getting worse, I know we are really struggling at work - even with basic stuff like hoses and steel to say nothing about complex electronics.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Accessory drive kit here and in the car! Also just left Winners Circle. Picked up upper/lower tubular control arms, coilovers for front and rear. Of course rear trailing arms and anti-roll bar are back ordered till May. Might as well buy a new brake booster, then the complete brake system will be 100% new lol

ECAE15BC-1040-43CA-8057-D0CAFE4BE641.jpeg

958999CB-7807-4401-AE90-0A2C5E23D4AE.jpeg

7DCC78E4-475C-4B0B-A3C9-5FBCB02285A4.jpeg

CF11C6B7-260E-4EF6-86C7-154AE47483C8.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
And yet, another change lol. I really want a copper colored face rim on this car as I think it will go great with the color now and the color I wind up painting it. Billets are aluminum so they can’t be painted. Tried to get them powder coated and that’s a no go as well. Unlike all 2pc wheels, the faces on Billets are welded on vs nuts and bolts. So that’s the reason I can’t powder coat them as I want to keep the barrels chrome. Buddy in Florida just bought a 75 Vert from here of all places lol. I offered my current rims to him for $1k more than I paid. He jumped on it so fast, I probably coulda got $1500 over lol. So I’m going with some 26” Forgiatos, chrome barrels and copper colored faces. Picture is just for finish reference, that’s not the actual rim I’m ordering.

F757FB97-B611-4B39-81C9-3C8368C115CB.jpeg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Cerakote is paint not powder so I’d think you’d be able to mask them off and spray it.

you can mask and wipe off powder before baking but it’s a very thick coating so you’d be losing any definition around sharp edges or it’ll be thin there and original material may show thru a bit.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Cerakote is paint not powder so I’d think you’d be able to mask them off and spray it.

you can mask and wipe off powder before baking but it’s a very thick coating so you’d be losing any definition around sharp edges or it’ll be thin there and original material may show thru a bit.
Doesnt have to be baked and media blasted, similar to PC? That was the issue when I called Crown Customs and another PC place.
Like I said though, I will dig deeper later today and make some calls if I find a local place that does wheels

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Doesnt have to be baked and media blasted, similar to PC? That was the issue when I called Crown Customs and another PC place.
Like I said though, I will dig deeper later today and make some calls if I find a local place that does wheels

There is different levels of Cerakote, they have air cure versions that are slightly less durable, but still really good.

You want Cerakote C series for air cure

Youll notice a lot of their colors have gun manufacturer names because they match that vendors color and need air cure because you can’t bake the parts all the time with many firearms parts as well.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You’d have to find someone actually good at painting vs most auto powder coat places.

The metal needs to be cleaned up via media blasting but should be able to mask off anything that won’t be painted. They have an air dry option but the bake on stuff holds up better.

I’ve got a friend who paints high end custom bikes using cerakote. He uses it on carbon fiber and low heat bakes it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Accy drive looks legit man, digging the all black.

Have you thought about going hydro boost on the brakes vs vacuum? Vacuum/boost can be a little dicey even with check valves.
Shit, just seen this.
I think I should be fine with the bigger brake set up and rear discs for now. The Regal has been fine so far.
When I go with a SC or Turbo, then yes I will definitely cross that bridge

Reactions: Jon01

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Accy drive looks legit man, digging the all black.

Have you thought about going hydro boost on the brakes vs vacuum? Vacuum/boost can be a little dicey even with check valves.
And I spoke to soon. Brake pedal hard AF, afraid to drive it on bigger streets, but I will lol. Just ordered a brake canister to see if it helps.

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
And I spoke to soon. Brake pedal hard AF, afraid to drive it on bigger streets, but I will lol. Just ordered a brake canister to see if it helps.

It should make enough vacuum with that cam to run a booster, there could be something else going on there.
Do you have a vacuum gauge you could put on it just to see?
My concern was after you boost it, climb on it and let off/jump right on the brakes and there won't be much assistance - not a good thing at high mph.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
It should make enough vacuum with that cam to run a booster, there could be something else going on there.
Do you have a vacuum gauge you could put on it just to see?
My concern was after you boost it, climb on it and let off/jump right on the brakes and there won't be much assistance - not a good thing at high mph.
Brakes were perfectly fine prior to the swap. Not sure what could affect them, I checked all the vacuum lines and they look fine.
I dont have a vacuum gauge but will go buy or rent one to see what the issue is.

I might hold off till next week on the gauge and canister. Installing all new brake lines, booster, master, proportion valve and rear disc conversion.
If the problem still exists after that, then we can troubleshoot

Reactions: Jamesv82 and Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Brakes were perfectly fine prior to the swap. Not sure what could affect them, I checked all the vacuum lines and they look fine.
I dont have a vacuum gauge but will go buy or rent one to see what the issue is.

I might hold off till next week on the gauge and canister. Installing all new brake lines, booster, master, proportion valve and rear disc conversion.
If the problem still exists after that, then we can troubleshoot

Oh shit I thought you had the new stuff on it.
Carry on!

Thread Info