YouTube Sharkwerks built 3.8L & 4.1L motors in 997 911 GT3RS

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Sharkwerks is a well known Porsche shop. They developed, in partner with Evolution Motorsports, a big bore / stroker motor for the high revving GT3 (3.6L & 3.8L) motor in the 996 & 997 model 911.

Joe Rogan a big car guy and has a great collection for those of you who don't know. He isn't about them sitting in climate controlled garages to be looked at. He drives his cars hard. Rogan has talked about his Sharkwerks GT3 in his podcasts over the years. You can see in this video his excitement for it.

The blue Sharkwerks GT3RS sound so angry! Such an incredible car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjefaqTFJQg

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I'm wanting a 911 more and more. Maybe in another life.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
it sounds awesome but ohh man $60K to build an N/A 6 cylinder is crazy

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
it sounds awesome but ohh man $60K to build an N/A 6 cylinder is crazy

It is definitely for the people who have lots of disposable cash in their pockets. haha Becuase honestly, at $90k+ for a 997 GT3 (non-RS) plus $60k for the motor, you might as well spend $180k for a 991.2 GT3 RS with the factory 4.0L. Because what's $30K - $50k at that point?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Be a bad argument though.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
I would argue that my vette sounds damn good and probably turns just as many heads. Plus, its paid for.
I didn't say they vette doesn't sound good. One of the props I give the LS family of motors is that they do sound good. But you said you wanted a Porsche. So I said do it. My bad for being positive and supportive in your life!

:rofl:

Be a bad argument though.
:bowrofl: wow

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
“Everyone is missing the point. It’s shaving off tenths of a second, but removing a piece of your soul.”

Truer words have never been spoken, fuck the autos. They are BORING

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Drive my car. It might change your mind.

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
Drive my car. It might change your mind.

It won’t. There is a connection to a car when you drive a manual that isn’t there when you drive an automatic.

I’m not suggesting that driving your car is boring. In my opinion as an enthusiast, I want the most involved tactile driving experience possible and that involves a manual trans.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
What's so much more entertaining about driving around town with a manual than a DSG? Nothing like being connected to the car from stoplight to stoplight.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
It won’t. There is a connection to a car when you drive a manual that isn’t there when you drive an automatic.

I’m not suggesting that driving your car is boring. In my opinion as an enthusiast, I want the most involved tactile driving experience possible and that involves a manual trans.
You'd be surprised how in control and connected you feel in manual mode. I had the same worry before I test drove the car...but it definitely changed my outlook.

Paddles arent a replacement for a clutch and shifter but its still far more fun that i was expecting. I still love driving the car...and you know how quick I am to abandon hope :rofl:

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how in control and connected you feel in manual mode. I had the same worry before I test drove the car...but it definitely changed my outlook.

Paddles arent a replacement for a clutch and shifter but its still far more fun that i was expecting. I still love driving the car...and you know how quick I am to abandon hope :rofl:

Everything about using paddles with no clutch feels wrong. I’ve driven cars like that and it is just wrong.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
To each their own. I thought I would miss manual (the whole reason I sold the Supra)....but I havent yet.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
DCT cars are built for a purpose such as to extract the best ET, lap time, and so on. It isn't about the driver's experience. It is cold and emotionless but highly efficient. DCT, stability control, traction control, and more make driving some of these new cars feel so sterile. Only rewarding when you see the impressive ET or lap times.

The manual trans car is much more analog and less efficient. But as an enthusiast looking to have fun, who cares? That engagement stirs up feelings in us. That driver's experience and thrill are rewarding. Even at the expense of ET and lap times.

Some of the new automatics and DCT are incredible. There is a place in the market for them. But not everyone is willing to let the computer do a job they enjoy doing.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
.....I can have total control over the trans when I'm in manual...I dont find to be cold or sterile in the least. Its just a thrilling (ok maybe slightly less) as ripping gears in the evo.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score

DCT cars are built for a purpose such as to extract the best ET, lap time, and so on. It isn't about the driver's experience. It is cold and emotionless but highly efficient. DCT, stability control, traction control, and more make driving some of these new cars feel so sterile. Only rewarding when you see the impressive ET or lap times.

The manual trans car is much more analog and less efficient. But as an enthusiast looking to have fun, who cares? That engagement stirs up feelings in us. That driver's experience and thrill are rewarding. Even at the expense of ET and lap times.

Some of the new automatics and DCT are incredible. There is a place in the market for them. But not everyone is willing to let the computer do a job they enjoy doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom