Shackle failure is no joke

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
It fucking sucks. I know this is a 'cool story bro' moment, but this was my first time dealing with a suspension failure and learning how to use a grinder on frame rivits

I spent my entire Sunday removing this mangled wad of hanger and shackle from the tail of my roomates ranger:

What it looked like when we were done:

Took nearly 10 hours (ended up replacing everything suspension wise with parts from my old truck...). Was suppose to just need a fuel pump...

LSx S10

Reaction score
My buddy had a shackle fail on his f-250. When it popped, the leaf spring blew a hole completely through the bed floor. That truck had some serious gangster lean after that one :rofl:

Outlaw

Reaction score
:ford:

but DAMN, that sucks, glad it didn't happen while driving.

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Here is the kicker, it had ALREADY partially failed. I wish I had a pic of it still on the truck...

The Shackle had completely failed (you can see the rust in the pic) and the spring was shoved up into the hanger, which was twisted back almost to the bed. One solid pothole would have had some interesting results...

The only shackles we had were my lowering ones (which actually LIFTS the truck if the spring is in the stock over axle position), so his truck now has an 1.5-2.0" lift in the back :rofl:.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
might want to inspect your rusty vehicle for pieces which have rusted entirely through once in awhile, eh? :hsugh:

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
might want to inspect your rusty vehicle for pieces which have rusted entirely through once in awhile, eh? :hsugh:
My roommate literally drives his car 1 mile to work and back, That's about all he drives, and has driven for the past year. Once every week or 2 he will visit his family (10 min away) or a female friend of his (also 10 min away).

I'm glad it's all knocked out now though.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
Dealing with frame rivets does suck and I hope you used grade 8 bolts to replace the rivets and some locktite. Did you break any bed bolts? Usually those are rusted up tight and I just grind the head off and replace them too.

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Only broke one bed bolt, and yea, the hangers are all grade 8 stuff.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Rust =/ Unreliable :bowrofl:.

This failure has nothing to do with it being a Ranger, Period.
Debate that. Uncle-in-law's Ranger had the same shit happen to it. What's fucked up is the under side of it's CLEAN with barely any rust, just the hangers and shackles decided they needed to peace out. Stock hangers gave it probably 1-2 inches of lift in the back compared to the smashed in ones he had. Why the hell the NTSB hasn't stepped in on this I'll never know. Probably hasn't killed enough people or something.

OP
Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Debate that. Uncle-in-law's Ranger had the same shit happen to it. What's fucked up is the under side of it's CLEAN with barely any rust, just the hangers and shackles decided they needed to peace out. Stock hangers gave it probably 1-2 inches of lift in the back compared to the smashed in ones he had. Why the hell the NTSB hasn't stepped in on this I'll never know. Probably hasn't killed enough people or something.
Rust related failures require some pretty serious failure for the NTSB to step in (ala steering components like the recent Jeep and Suburban ones, or Frames ala Tacoma/Tundras).

The failure never compromised the truck, and it is an area that gets COATED in crap through normal wear and tear.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened, I'm just saying that I don't feel that rangers aren't really notorious for rust issues outside of the norm IMO.

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
Subarus should be recalled.

Looks like a good, but seriously crappy project.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
From what I found on line there were a few incidents of people having the axle tear the brake line loose to the rear axle. Besides that the axle going sideways or out the back would IMO be sort of unsafe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom