3800 service engine soon light

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
i was going to my car after class and it started up kinda funny. i didn't think anything of if. but when i put the car into gear i noticed that the ses light was on :angry: on the drive home whenever i'd accelerate it kinda felt like my car was pulsating a little bit. it felt like this when i was at idle too. but when i was going a constant speed i didn't notice the pulsing. my a/f ratio gauge was going extremely fast too, faster than normal. when i got home i popped the hood and it seemed like the engine was shaking a little too much for just being in park. i drive a 99 gt with approx 65k miles. do you think this could be a misfire? me and a buddy of mine recently changed the plugs and wires, but that was around november/december. thanks in advance for the help.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
the mechanic says that it prolly the fuel injectors, but they have to run some tests tomorrow. and i guess it could cost approx $600. i'm thinking that's way too high. my dad knows the guy so i don't know why it's this much, i mean i don't think he'd rip us off since we know him. i saw on zzp that they have a set of 6 for $125. would there be soo much labor that it would make it so expensive?

starrGTP

Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Originally posted by frankenstinesy@Feb 10 2005, 06:48 PM
the mechanic says that it prolly the fuel injectors, but they have to run some tests tomorrow. and i guess it could cost approx $600. i'm thinking that's way too high. my dad knows the guy so i don't know why it's this much, i mean i don't think he'd rip us off since we know him. i saw on zzp that they have a set of 6 for $125. would there be soo much labor that it would make it so expensive?
[snapback]70986[/snapback]​
I'm guessing it is your plug wires. Same thing happend to both Fish and I after removing the plug wires for a manifold change. When a mechanic tells you he has to run some tests...that is code for lube it up to bend you over.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by frankenstinesy@Feb 9 2005, 01:43 PM
i was going to my car after class and it started up kinda funny. i didn't think anything of if. but when i put the car into gear i noticed that the ses light was on :angry: on the drive home whenever i'd accelerate it kinda felt like my car was pulsating a little bit. it felt like this when i was at idle too. but when i was going a constant speed i didn't notice the pulsing. my a/f ratio gauge was going extremely fast too, faster than normal. when i got home i popped the hood and it seemed like the engine was shaking a little too much for just being in park. i drive a 99 gt with approx 65k miles. do you think this could be a misfire? me and a buddy of mine recently changed the plugs and wires, but that was around november/december. thanks in advance for the help.
[snapback]70794[/snapback]​

Check all the wires to make sure they are secure since you did them a month or 2 ago. Ive went 3 weeks after a plug change and one of the wires came loose. It should be easy to find. Just pull on all the wires with your pinky and see if they come out.

Also, his tests are gonna consist of taking the injectors out and flow testing them. Caspers can do that cheaper. Plus if it is an injector, you can order them and change them out for cheaper.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
yeah i checked the wires before i took it in, and they all seemed to be on there pretty good. i didn't pull too hard but prolly hard enough to come off if it was lose. i don't know how to change out fuel injectors, i'm not that knowledgeable about cars, but i have a feeling when i am being ripped off. i guess the shop is gonna try to "flush" them out and see if that fixes it. but if it doesn't and they try to charge me $600 i'll tell them thanks but no thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info