3800 SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea...i took mine off. I have two extra ones at home. If you end up needing to replace it, let me know and Ill send them to you cheap.

But things to check. I will assume that you know very little about under the hood....just to make this easier.

Pop your hood and find your air box. It will be the big black box near the driver side of the car and right behind the headlight. Follow the flexible tube that comes out of this box until you reach an aluminum part with lots of wires going into it. This is your TB. You should be able to see the bolts that attach the TB to the Supercharger. Right behind this connection point there will a black cylinder with a black plastic cap with wires coming out. This part is your EGR. Look at the tubes coming out of the egr and see if they are bent, broken, missing, or not connected. If this is the case then this will be your problem.

You will probably need to remove your engine cover to view this. To remove it, just unscrew the Oil Cap Neck, not just the cap, with your hand. Now the cover will come up and off. It is held down in the back also.

Sorry if all this was too basic....but many people dont know what a TB is. I thought this would be the easiest way.

Anyways...if you still have trouble...look at this picture. In the very top left is the EGR. It is the last part you can see in the top left of the screen:

GP~Custom~Intake.JPG

Hope that helps

Thanks a bunch GUYS! i knwo things under the hood pretty well.. but thanks for the easy step by step!!.. i wil lgive it a go.. I onyl asked all this cause my service light is on and this code is what made my car fail the emmissons test! :(... If any of you need computer repair of help let me know i run my own company.. N.U.R.D.S. Networking Updating Reapir Data Services.!!! I will let you know how this turns out!! TY

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by rockbassray@Nov 16 2004, 11:34 AM
I got the code and info.. if anyone knows what I need to do to fix this.. please post.. THANKS!!!

P0401  Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
[snapback]60487[/snapback]​

RBR-
I'd be willing to bet that little spring valve in your EGR is stock closed. The EGR is behind the TB downward and towards the firewall. Give it a shot and post your results.

Well went o autozone.. something is up with the egr.. so i went home and took it off.. noticed the gasket was pretty worn,, along with the inside to be pitch black... i ordered a new gasket and should get that soon, and bought mystery fuel cleaner it is called.. i was told it will help get rid of the carbon build up in there...on the bottom of the egr there is a hold and then a screw that seems to go up and down inside the egr.. it seems to move just fine.. if that was what you guys were talking about as the switch or trigger.. that may be stuck..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list