🏡 Better Homes Separate service/meter for detached garage for EV charging

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I've been dreaming about adding 240v charging capabilities to my detached garage for a while. My wife or I will likely go EV for a next car, and I preferably want a level 2 charger for it. My garage is severely lacking power, main panel in house only feeds a single 120v 20A circuit. Main panel is 100A and full, feeds a nearly full 60A sub. 200A upgrade will require new underground feeders. I think I could save some money/time adding separate service to garage and abandoning the house feed.

I've been reading up about utilities providing a dedicated meter for EV charging with night time EV rates and it sparked my interest. I'm going to email the village if this is even allowed first. I'd probably need 200A, separate panel to run 2x 40-50A chargers and maybe add maybe an electric heater too.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The question is what is the reason you want a separate meter? Are you saying you’d like to run it as a separate service, almost like an apartment? That’s an expensive way to go about things. Sounds like you need a 200a service upgrade anyway. Seems best to just get the 200a service and run a new sub panel to the garage. It’s going to be expensive but worth it in the long run when you consider that people buying the house are going to want 200a service and lots of power for car chargers in the future. Maybe not today, but in 20 years it will be a requirement

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I emailed village, will see what they say. Yeah I should just bite the bullet and upgrade my main to 200 or higher. The issue is my underground feeders to the meter are undersized for 200, so I'd need new service line pulled. Then I'd need to pull a new line to garage. All utility has to be buried here.

My thought here is leaving house as is, and having new separate service entrance ran to garage.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Perhaps a DCC-12 load management device could work if you can free up two panel slot. You’ll have to figure out your load rating but I have a 100 amp panel and was able to install a 50 amp EV circuit with this device that detects overall load, and if the EV is charging and the load gets to 80% then it cuts off the EV charging. This was permitted and all done by Kapital Electric, who I recommend.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Perhaps a DCC-12 load management device could work if you can free up two panel slot. You’ll have to figure out your load rating but I have a 100 amp panel and was able to install a 50 amp EV circuit with this device that detects overall load, and if the EV is charging and the load gets to 80% then it cuts off the EV charging. This was permitted and all done by Kapital Electric, who I recommend.

Interesting solution. Never knew such a thing existed.

That would definitely be thousands cheaper than a new panel, breakers and service.

Reactions: radioguy6

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From my understanding, it doesn’t impact your overall load calculation because it’s technically separate from the panel. We removed the dryer breaker to fill with this device because I have a gas dryer. My historic maximum amp usage was nowhere near 40 amps, so even charging at 40 amps (the max of my charger, a plug-in), I’m in good shape.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

Thanks, that's a very intriguing solution to respect the 80% rule, I'm going to keep this in mind. My major appliances are gas, majority of charging would be at night with less overall load, would never worry about this tripping.

He's gonna rock a Nissan leaf... You know, that silly commercial with Brie Larson trying to sell them as some adrenalinepumping, pulse pounding EV's. :D

I like my Nissans but not about to upgrade electrical service for a Nissan Leaf bro :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info