Senior Dog Experience

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
They got the results back from the cytology. There is no signs of an infection (thus why antibiotics don't seem to be doing anything) and no obvious signs of cancer (which can't be ruled out yet without the biopsy). She's leaning toward an autoimmune disease, specifically Sterile Nodular Panniculitis. Which is treatable with steroids. But the problem is that if I treat with steroids, and it's cancer, the cancer becomes much more difficult to treat. I'm not sure I would treat him for cancer at his age, as it wouldn't give much more time, if at all. So we are going to start treating with a steroid to see if it helps.

He still has a fever but she expects that to break soon. As soon as it does, and he decides to eat, he can come home. I'm really hoping it's tomorrow morning. Then he will wait at home for the results of the biopsy. It's going to be a stressful week.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
1000000323.jpg

He's home. He seems to be in MUCH better spirits than when we dropped him off. His tail was wagging, he's walking better. Seems to just feel better overall. We have a slew of meds to give him for a while. But at least he is home.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Man, I can't imagine how elated you feel right now, I am so GD happy to see him home and tail wagging. Fuck yeah bud. What a tough guy.
Man the Rollercoaster we went through over the past few days is crazy. He's not out of the woods by any means yet, but he's at least in a treatment plan and eating now.

And this spoiled guy now has us boiling chicken and rice for him because he needs a "bland diet".

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Man the Rollercoaster we went through over the past few days is crazy. He's not out of the woods by any means yet, but he's at least in a treatment plan and eating now.

And this spoiled guy now has us boiling chicken and rice for him because he needs a "bland diet".
I was recently there, I know exactly how you feel right now, I gave her grilled chicken because she liked it better, I really just gave her anything she wanted.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a dog to take a pill he really doesn't want to take? We have like 5 medications to give him, but there is one that he just HATES. I've tried chicken, peanut butter, every treat i can think of. He will eat the treat plain, but if he smells the one pill he won't eat it. Take the pill out, eats it. Damn beagle nose is too strong. I've gotten it in his mouth and he chews the food around it and spits it pill out. It's his antibiotic, so I really need to get him to finish taking it.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a dog to take a pill he really doesn't want to take? We have like 5 medications to give him, but there is one that he just HATES. I've tried chicken, peanut butter, every treat i can think of. He will eat the treat plain, but if he smells the one pill he won't eat it. Take the pill out, eats it. Damn beagle nose is too strong. I've gotten it in his mouth and he chews the food around it and spits it pill out. It's his antibiotic, so I really need to get him to finish taking it.
For one of our dogs that's like that with his heartworm pill, I put it in his mouth as far back as I can, hold his snout closed & pointed to the ceiling, and gently massage his throat until I can tell he swallows it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
For my cat I used to drop the pill toward the back of her mouth then use a syringe w/o needle to put water in her mouth, that way she had to swallow

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
For one of our dogs that's like that with his heartworm pill, I put it in his mouth as far back as I can, hold his snout closed & pointed to the ceiling, and gently massage his throat until I can tell he swallows it.

For my cat I used to drop the pill toward the back of her mouth then use a syringe w/o needle to put water in her mouth, that way she had to swallow
I csnt even get it in his mouth. He knows what it is and keeps his mouth shut if it's just the pill. And I don't wanna force his jaw open because I feel like I'm hurting him.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Looks like this:
1670391882607.jpeg

There is also a narrower one with a rubber tip that has slits in it, which works better for smaller medication.
1670391949021.jpeg

We used both on our feline for her daily medications.

Other trick is to pop the pill in using either device then immediately given them a good tasty treat. They’ll forget about the pill in their mouth while they eat the treat. Like Dan said, point their nose towards the ceiling after delivering the medicine. It’ll make it harder to spit out.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info