Senior Dog Experience

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Louie is becoming Lumpy.
Our 7 year old Aussie has 2 little fatty bumps. Our other older senior dogs had gotten them too later in their life. If they aren't causing them pain when pressed, rupturing, and aren't rapidly growing or becoming large, then they are likely benign and just a byproduct of the aging process. This may help you decide whether they need attention or not:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
A solid Liter of pus just leaked out of the abscess by his junk. Holy shit that was gross. I made sure I drained it all. Threw some neosporin on the hole, and put a diaper on him. That whole lump by his rear leg is just about gone. He was uncomfortable but seemed to be kinda relieved.
I looked it up online and I guess I should have been expecting this? It's supposed to drain out as the antibiotics kill the infection.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Your dogs get those fat bumps, might be called lipoma's? My goldendoodle, ~10 years old has many of them but the vet said they are no big deal.
Haven't ever had a dog that didn't get the cysts. They all seem to.

The pills are making him nauseous and he doesn't want to eat, but the pills say to take with food. Which he won't eat. He takes the pills with treats at least. Poor guy.
Ask the Vet for some Feline K/D wet food from Hill's Science Diet. Its a prescription food, but dogs and cats basically think of it like Candy. You can use that to hide the meds in and they'll gobble it up.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
No, it's only developed more as he's gotten older. We've looked for some non-pharma stuff to help, like CBD, but I don't feel it did anything.
I adopted a dog about 2 months ago that had a pretty rough start to life and she has it really really bad. I tried everything non-pharma but it wasn't enough either. I ended up trying Benadryl because she just loses her mind whenever I leave and it has worked really well. I was hoping you found something that wasn't pharma that worked. "calming" treats with melatonin not only didn't work but the treats smell like shit and she wasn't about them at all.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
1000000316.jpg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
He's still in the hospital. We sat with him for about an hour today. He has a fever, and still isn't eating much. Testing won't come back for another few days. I'm hoping that he eats a bit and his fever breaks so I can take him home tonight, maybe tomorrow morning. He seems miserable in there.

They said it could be any of three possibilities at this point. Cancer. Kidney disease. Or an autoimmune disease.

I'm pretty pissed at the vet we took him to before the ER. They told me that his blood work came back "normal" but the hospital had them send the testing over and said that isn't the case. He has high levels of phosphorus. They're treating that now, but they won't know which way to approach it until they get other testing results back.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Phosphorus buildup sounds like the kidneys. It builds up and stops them from processing as normal. They do have medicine like Aluminum Hydroxide that is a phosphate binder to keep it from building up.
He said that's an indication but he expects to see other things like calcium levels affected from that too, and they're not. He said it's odd, and nothing is obvious. It could also be a combination of several things.

I could have bought a project car for what this is going to cost me, but I honestly don't care.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
He said that's an indication but he expects to see other things like calcium levels affected from that too, and they're not. He said it's odd, and nothing is obvious. It could also be a combination of several things.

I could have bought a project car for what this is going to cost me, but I honestly don't care.
I hear ya. Each time our cat went to the ER it was $1000 just to start. Few days of hospitalization at the vet was $600-800.

Had her in on New Year’s Eve 2020 for five days, that was $2200. Brought her back from the brink of death.

About $200/mo in Rx and subcutaneous fluids, plus blood work (renal values) every 2-4 weeks. Did that for almost 17 months without ever missing a med or fluid delivery. We did the SQ fluids here.

Lot of money. She was worth every penny. Like Shawn says, you can’t take it with you. Our goal was to give her the best quality of life we could. We did.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
One of the big tests we are waiting on is the type of bacteria that is causing the infection. They said it doesn't seem like the antibiotics are doing much. Which happens sometimes, which is why they test it to know which antibiotics to use. Unfortunately that test takes like a week since they have to grow the bacteria at the lab. So if he was on the right antibiotics, he might already have been doing better.

I'm not making any decisions on guess work. I want to know I did everything I could. At a minimum, for test results, then a conversation about treatment and what it means for his QoL.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
One of the big tests we are waiting on is the type of bacteria that is causing the infection. They said it doesn't seem like the antibiotics are doing much. Which happens sometimes, which is why they test it to know which antibiotics to use. Unfortunately that test takes like a week since they have to grow the bacteria at the lab. So if he was on the right antibiotics, he might already have been doing better.

I'm not making any decisions on guess work. I want to know I did everything I could. At a minimum, for test results, then a conversation about treatment and what it means for his QoL.
Agreed. In some cases a broad spectrum antibiotic won’t help, but it might be better than nothing at all. The waiting on the culture sucks, cause it’s time ticking away. But better to know than to guess wrong.

It sounds like the animal hospital is taking all precautions and covering all the bases. They’ll keep at it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info