Senior Dog Experience

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Anyone have any experience with senior dogs that are starting to have issues with their body? My boy is 14, and he's starting to have some issues, and I'm not sure if it's age related or if something is wrong with him. Just looking for advice or some products that'll help.

He is starting to have issues laying down. His front legs seem to have no issues, but he's struggling to bend his rear legs it kind of seems. I'm not sure if they're hurting and he doesnt want to move them, but maybe some sort of joint pain supplement? Any recommendations?

He hasn't been able to hold his pee for longer than a few hours for the past week or so, and it seems to be getting shorter. I looked into doggy diapers (belly bands for males) to keep him from going on the carpet overnight. Anyone have any experience with those?

He's drinking water like a fish. He will clear a couple bowls a day. Probably has a little to do with the peeing. He's always been a thirsty dog, but it's gone up significantly this past week. He also doesn't finish his food anymore, and this dude is a certified garbage disposal. Oddly enough though, if I put it in his sister's bowl, he still clears it. He still eats people food no problem too.

I had him at a vet just 2 weeks or so ago for an unrelated thing, but they did a checkup and they said he was fine. So I can take him back but I'm not sure what theyd say other than "yeah, he's old".

Any suggestions or someone who's dealt with something similar, I'm all ears. TIA.

• Sad
Reactions: sktchy

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Anyone have any experience with senior dogs that are starting to have issues with their body? My boy is 14, and he's starting to have some issues, and I'm not sure if it's age related or if something is wrong with him. Just looking for advice or some products that'll help.

He is starting to have issues laying down. His front legs seem to have no issues, but he's struggling to bend his rear legs it kind of seems. I'm not sure if they're hurting and he doesnt want to move them, but maybe some sort of joint pain supplement? Any recommendations?

He hasn't been able to hold his pee for longer than a few hours for the past week or so, and it seems to be getting shorter. I looked into doggy diapers (belly bands for males) to keep him from going on the carpet overnight. Anyone have any experience with those?

He's drinking water like a fish. He will clear a couple bowls a day. Probably has a little to do with the peeing. He's always been a thirsty dog, but it's gone up significantly this past week. He also doesn't finish his food anymore, and this dude is a certified garbage disposal. Oddly enough though, if I put it in his sister's bowl, he still clears it. He still eats people food no problem too.

I had him at a vet just 2 weeks or so ago for an unrelated thing, but they did a checkup and they said he was fine. So I can take him back but I'm not sure what theyd say other than "yeah, he's old".

Any suggestions or someone who's dealt with something similar, I'm all ears. TIA.
Sounds like arthritis for the rear legs. For the water it sounds like a renal problem, like the kidneys aren’t functioning as well as they used to. Had this with my cat, diagnosed with chronic kidney disease at two years of age. Her water consumption went way up. Ended up doing subcutaneous fluids for 16 months before she succumbed.

Ask the vet to do blood work to see where the creatinine and BUN levels are. The creatinine will be a direct indication of kidney function. They should be able to do a panel internally for quick results, like within minutes. Or they can send out to a lab and have more accuracy in about a day.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Sadly, that's been the case with all of mine, just out of the blue and then non-stop shit after that. Sorry man.
I've been trying not to be all doom and gloom because of his age. He had a nasty cough about a month ago, took him to the vet because the internet said it was a heart failure problem and it turned out to be a sinus infection. I know he's getting up there in age, so I'm starting to get nervous.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
My parent's last dog had Cushing's disease. It caused kidney issues. He was drinking water all the time. And having accidents as he had to pee with drinking all that water. Before this, he was always good about letting my parents know he had to go out to pee. Most of his accidents were when they were out of the house or overnight. He got on meds and they helped. The Cushing's disease also ended up with diabetes. So he then also had to be given shots every day for that as well. But he lived for several years after that.

Aging dogs are no different than us with issues coming up. They can't communicate with us making it harder to see their issues until they are more severe.

Hopefully, the vet can help your guy out.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
If it is renal, like early stages of kidney disease, it's best to find out now. It's not a death sentence, as you have options depending on the severity. Could be a diet change, daily medicine, etc. For our feline it was already at Stage 3 before she started to exhibit the signs.

A simple blood draw is all that is needed to get those values.

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've been trying not to be all doom and gloom because of his age. He had a nasty cough about a month ago, took him to the vet because the internet said it was a heart failure problem and it turned out to be a sinus infection. I know he's getting up there in age, so I'm starting to get nervous.

You will have to assume he will have to go to the vet more often. More things will pop up. The sooner you get him in, the better chances he has with his issues. It can cost some money but many times the meds and help can really help him out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info