Selling stuff on Facebook.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<Friday PANDA rant>

I generally do not sell stuff unless I can make $50 on it. Its really not worth the hassle to me. I have this Trek 930 bike in my shed that hasn't been ridden since early high school. It is my understanding that we are having a bike shortage right now I figured I would post it up on Facebook and see if I can get $100 for it. I looked up the value and it says it is from 1996 and it is worth $138. I uploaded some pictures and listed it with this description.

Late 90's Trek mens mountain bike. Probably could use tires and a tune up but was a $700+ bike. MADE IN USA - $100

"Do you know the frame size?" - A good question. How the fuck does one figure that out? It does not seem to be indicated on the bike anywhere. After a google search looks like a 17.5 so I edited my ad to include that. I tell him. 17.5 NO RESPONSE

"Will you take $70?" - Good low ball right off the bat. If I still have this after a week I might let it go for that. I am not selling gold here but honestly can you even buy a bike at Walmart these days for $100?

"Does it shift OK" - "It shifts, but slightly sloppy sometimes, that's why I said it could use a tune up". I have a bike that has that issue the local bike shops can't get me in for 3 weeks. OK dude better start waiting, or buy that new $1500 bike that shifts like butter.

"Jamie offered you $100". - OK come get it. - NO RESPONSE

"what's the size?" - 17.5 it says in the ad. Do people buying $100 bikes typically care about size?

"anything wrong with it?" Did you read the ad? So its for parts then? Rides fine. But if you are looking for perfection from a 25 year old $100 bike it could probably need some adjustment of the shifters and brakes and new tires as they have some dry rot. Figured I would post it as we are in a bike shortage and someone might want it. Its been sitting for years. If this thing was like new and has been serviced with no issues id probably be asking $400 seeing as its made in the US and probably better than the Trek bikes you can buy today.

"Where?" Did you read the ad? "Too far away". K

Then I got about 20 messages last night people asking if its still available.
Fuck man the minute this thing sells im taking it off Facebook so I don't get flooded with people asking me if its still available.

I usually have good success with selling stuff on Facebook but some things I post I just get the bottom feeders that waste my time.

</rant>

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
<Friday PANDA rant>

I generally do not sell stuff unless I can make $50 on it. Its really not worth the hassle to me. I have this Trek 930 bike in my shed that hasn't been ridden since early high school. It is my understanding that we are having a bike shortage right now I figured I would post it up on Facebook and see if I can get $100 for it. I looked up the value and it says it is from 1996 and it is worth $138. I uploaded some pictures and listed it with this description.

"Do you know the frame size?" - A good question. How the fuck does one figure that out? It does not seem to be indicated on the bike anywhere. After a google search looks like a 17.5 so I edited my ad to include that. I tell him. 17.5 NO RESPONSE

"Will you take $70?" - Good low ball right off the bat. If I still have this after a week I might let it go for that. I am not selling gold here but honestly can you even buy a bike at Walmart these days for $100?

"Does it shift OK" - "It shifts, but slightly sloppy sometimes, that's why I said it could use a tune up". I have a bike that has that issue the local bike shops can't get me in for 3 weeks. OK dude better start waiting, or buy that new $1500 bike that shifts like butter.

"Jamie offered you $100". - OK come get it. - NO RESPONSE

"what's the size?" - 17.5 it says in the ad. Do people buying $100 bikes typically care about size?

"anything wrong with it?" Did you read the ad? So its for parts then? Rides fine. But if you are looking for perfection from a 25 year old $100 bike it could probably need some adjustment of the shifters and brakes and new tires as they have some dry rot. Figured I would post it as we are in a bike shortage and someone might want it. Its been sitting for years. If this thing was like new and has been serviced with no issues id probably be asking $400 seeing as its made in the US and probably better than the Trek bikes you can buy today.

"Where?" Did you read the ad? "Too far away". K

Then I got about 20 messages last night people asking if its still available.
Fuck man the minute this thing sells im taking it off Facebook so I don't get flooded with people asking me if its still available.

I usually have good success with selling stuff on Facebook but some things I post I just get the bottom feeders that waste my time.

</rant>
I had a shit ton of messages about my mustang when I sold it recently, a lot of shit bag time wasters but god damn did it sell fast like 12 hours from listing time to pick up, I had 45 messages about it, same with my boat will you trade for a golf cart, no sir, will you take 50% of asking price After it’s been listed for 5 hours

Reactions: Sprayin

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I've been using it to sell some of the factory fairings/street stuff of my bike, and it sucks. I'm on an s1000rr parts for sale/trade page and for most of the items I've sold I haven't even posted them, just waited for someone to post saying that they're looking for that item lol. Happens more often than I expected, and the transaction goes smoother. You still have some people ghost though, which makes no sense. Dude....you made a post looking for this item, I have it, why the hell are you not responding

Chris91LX

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 2, 2008
Crystal Lake
I've sold a bunch of random stuff and car parts on FB. I had a guy message me about a bunch of random AN fittings and hoses I had for sale. He offers me a price and I say ok and he disappears. About a week later he hits me up again and says he was in the hospital, I'm like ok, sorry, you still want this? He says he could come up and get it today, I'm skeptical but say ok. Meanwhile another guy hits me up for the parts and says he can come right now to get them. I get back to the first guy and say are you taking these because I have another buyer. 1st guy doesn't respond, so I tell the 2nd guy to come get them. The other guy shows up and the first guy is in the car with him, they were buddies. I'm like WTF?

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Now is a good time to sell odd ball stuff.

I just went through my disc golf collection. Some of these discs I bought for $15-18 are now worth $25-40 and ones that were worth $8-12 that wouldn’t usually sell for more than new are selling for $10-15. But I’ll be posting these in specific Facebook groups for disc golf so that should hopefully eliminate most the idiots.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
That's another problem I have.

(Posts ad at 830)

Tire kicker 1 at 845AM: Is it still available?

Buyer 1 at 9AM: I can come tonight at 5PM.

Buyer 2 at 11AM: I can come at noon.

I typically do not pay the dibs game unless I am really selling something of value and someone sends me a deposit or something but first come first serve. Yet seems like everyone else selling on FB plays it. Yeah you messaged me first but if this guy can come before you I am not taking the chances of you bailing at 5PM. I need my shit sold.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Had the same issues with my formula when I sold it. My fav was

Thursday 7:15pm -car still for sale
Me - yes
Thursday 7:15pm - what is all done
Me - read the description
Thursday 7:16pm- looks good like it, can I see the car tomorrow.
me - sure can what time works best?

Friday,Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday goes by with no respond back.

Wednesday 11:45 pm - sorry was busy and didn’t check Facebook. Bullshit lol

• Angry
Reactions: v6buicks

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Typical experience selling anything online. It’s so easy and accessible via app so every idiot does it. Takes three seconds to spam a shit offer, eventually someone will take

I rarely sell anything worth less than $50 either, I’d rather throw or give something away at that point.

Put as much detail in the post as possible and good pics.

“still available?”comments get a “yes” reply and lowballs get nothing. Stupid obvious questions just get referred back to the ad. Eventually someone with half a brain interested in buying responds.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
1DA06AB0-DF39-4F8C-80CA-663A245D95CD.jpeg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
PANDA PANDA should of listed it for like $250 honestly. Turn the barrel adjust on the shifter a little till it stops clicking

I figured any tight pant wearing Trek riding hipster in Chicago would know how to adjust the shifter and brakes. I could probably figure it out also just didn't put in the effort. Its still here for $100 IDK

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Damn....I do need a bike....

Fuck, I've tried trying to sell a few things on FBMP and it's a shitshow.

What I do now is write up an ad for free shit that I have no desire to take to Goodwill and not worth it to sell, put it out on the curb on Sunday, take pictures, say I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY MESSAGES OR COMMENTS, first come first serve, trash man comes at 8am Monday morning to take it, and the location.

Wouldn't believe how many people asking me for directions, asking if I can hold, asking if it's still available, or whatever stupid question you can think of. Once everything is gone, delete the ad and all the messages and move on with my life.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I usually fill the ad with every detail I can and then say, if you ask me any of these questions (adding a list of questions), I know you didn't read the fucking ad and I won't respond. If you lowball me... No response.

The "is it still available" I can deal with, if it's been up for awhile. Some that make me want to punch puppies;

1) What's your bottom dollar? Fuck you. Like I'm going to tell you.
1a) What's the best you can do? To which I respond with the price I posted in the ad.

2) Giving me their life story.

3) "I'll give you $xxx for scrap." Where the fuck did I say it was scrap? It's a perfectly functioning vehicle that I am selling as a beater with a heater... I just drove the thing yesterday!

4) Had a guy call the other day, could hardly speak a fucking word of English in his voice mail... Delete. Not dealing with that shit.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
That's another problem I have.

(Posts ad at 830)

Tire kicker 1 at 845AM: Is it still available?

Buyer 1 at 9AM: I can come tonight at 5PM.

Buyer 2 at 11AM: I can come at noon.

I typically do not pay the dibs game unless I am really selling something of value and someone sends me a deposit or something but first come first serve. Yet seems like everyone else selling on FB plays it. Yeah you messaged me first but if this guy can come before you I am not taking the chances of you bailing at 5PM. I need my shit sold.
easy,

message both, say first one to show up with $ gets it, i have 3 people saying they are coming.

see who gets there first, or will send money first.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Thread Info