Selling stuff on Facebook.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I hate people who make offers via text but what do you when you need to make an offer via text? Been looking for another vintage sled for my collection. I'm pretty particular in what I want and it has to be very clean. Sleds are priced crazy right now buy I am willing to spend up to $1000 which I think is fair for what I am looking for. I've also been watching stuff and recording what is sells for so I have an idea of what these things are going for right now. I found exactly what I want in Fort Wayne Indiana on craigslist. Thats a 4 hour ride for me there and a 4 hour ride for me back. Guy is asking $1400 and its been listed for a month and not sold. Bad area to sell a snowmobile for sure but kinda weird he still has it based on how fast sleds are selling this year. Problem is the buy rebuilt the motor. He sounds like a collector for sure after showing me pics of his other sleds but I do not know his mechanical ability, and why would be rebuild a motor that was running before? He also showed me where the hood was cracked and repaired. Something you can't see on the craigslist ad. Figured that was why the sled isnt sold yet. I said I will be straight up with you I want to spend up to $1000 on something like this if it is as clean as your pictures, before I make the drive are we anywhere close. He said he was firm at $1400 and does not need to sell. I am guessing he isnt lying cuz he is a collector but fuck its exactly what I want. You might say whats a few hundred more for something you want but thats 40% more than I want to spend. It likely will never be worth close to that anyway when the market goes back to normal.

How do you guys negotiate via text or messenger? If it was less than an hour away id go look at it. Make an offer. If he accepts Id go get my trailer and pick it up. Something 4 hours away im not going there without a trailer but don't want to drive and waste $150 in gas just to get shut down anyway?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I hate people who make offers via text but what do you when you need to make an offer via text? Been looking for another vintage sled for my collection. I'm pretty particular in what I want and it has to be very clean. Sleds are priced crazy right now buy I am willing to spend up to $1000 which I think is fair for what I am looking for. I've also been watching stuff and recording what is sells for so I have an idea of what these things are going for right now. I found exactly what I want in Fort Wayne Indiana on craigslist. Thats a 4 hour ride for me there and a 4 hour ride for me back. Guy is asking $1400 and its been listed for a month and not sold. Bad area to sell a snowmobile for sure but kinda weird he still has it based on how fast sleds are selling this year. Problem is the buy rebuilt the motor. He sounds like a collector for sure after showing me pics of his other sleds but I do not know his mechanical ability, and why would be rebuild a motor that was running before? He also showed me where the hood was cracked and repaired. Something you can't see on the craigslist ad. Figured that was why the sled isnt sold yet. I said I will be straight up with you I want to spend up to $1000 on something like this if it is as clean as your pictures, before I make the drive are we anywhere close. He said he was firm at $1400 and does not need to sell. I am guessing he isnt lying cuz he is a collector but fuck its exactly what I want.

How do you guys negotiate via text or messenger? If it was less than an hour away id go look at it. Make an offer. If he accepts Id go get my trailer and pick it up. Something 4 hours away im not going there without a trailer but don't want to drive and waste $150 in gas just to get shut down anyway?
Personally, I don't see an issue with negotiating via text when you have a good reason to do so. He sounds like a good seller for providing all that information. You also sound like a good buyer for being informed. I don't think a buyer should fault you for not liking the price when they know you have to drive that far just to see the dang thing. Let's be real. Nobody is going to drive that far to look at something like that unless they know what they're getting into and consider it a good deal. It only sucks when a buyer makes first friggen message about pricing. Ask questions, and use the description to your advantage. If you can get the seller to admit that they aren't holding the holy grail it doesn't matter if it's in person or not.

I would recommend calling the buyer if you plan on asking a lot of questions. Nobody likes playing 20 questions. lol

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I honestly can’t remember the last time I negotiated on something. The last few things I’ve bought have been insanely good deals and I’ve paid their asking price or if I see its getting a ton of attention I’ll offer a bit more and end up locking it in.

Original owner was selling a John Deere 318 with fertilizer spreader and a John Deere yard cart for $250. He was getting blown up so I sent the message “send me your address, I have a trailer hooked up and can be there in 30 min with $400 cash.”

Doing stuff like that and not asking 27 stupid ass questions usually leads me to getting all the deals. That’s a $1,000 tractor, $200 cart and $50 spreader for reference. Sold the spreader for $50 and added tractor and cart to collection.

Reactions: Jon01

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I hate people who make offers via text but what do you when you need to make an offer via text? Been looking for another vintage sled for my collection. I'm pretty particular in what I want and it has to be very clean. Sleds are priced crazy right now buy I am willing to spend up to $1000 which I think is fair for what I am looking for. I've also been watching stuff and recording what is sells for so I have an idea of what these things are going for right now. I found exactly what I want in Fort Wayne Indiana on craigslist. Thats a 4 hour ride for me there and a 4 hour ride for me back. Guy is asking $1400 and its been listed for a month and not sold. Bad area to sell a snowmobile for sure but kinda weird he still has it based on how fast sleds are selling this year. Problem is the buy rebuilt the motor. He sounds like a collector for sure after showing me pics of his other sleds but I do not know his mechanical ability, and why would be rebuild a motor that was running before? He also showed me where the hood was cracked and repaired. Something you can't see on the craigslist ad. Figured that was why the sled isnt sold yet. I said I will be straight up with you I want to spend up to $1000 on something like this if it is as clean as your pictures, before I make the drive are we anywhere close. He said he was firm at $1400 and does not need to sell. I am guessing he isnt lying cuz he is a collector but fuck its exactly what I want. You might say whats a few hundred more for something you want but thats 40% more than I want to spend. It likely will never be worth close to that anyway when the market goes back to normal.

i try to establish a relationship as good as i can- you know what i mean? sell a story and hear this dude out like you're trying to get to take him out on a date. butter him up. and take your time. be patient let the dude think about shit and let him get his guard down. typically how i do it.

i know all the c-list hardcore guys are like IM NOT NEGOTIATING UNTIL SOMEONES HERE IN PERSON and i get that, but im not going to deal with that shit...i 100% get it, and that's your angle and i understand but i personally, i dont have the time. ill hold out and wait for the right deal to come along or someone who is unsuspecting enough to let something go for a crazy deal. ill make that lowball offer and remind the seller of it a week later and see whatsup.

Reactions: Outlaw and v6buicks

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I honestly can’t remember the last time I negotiated on something. The last few things I’ve bought have been insanely good deals and I’ve paid their asking price or if I see its getting a ton of attention I’ll offer a bit more and end up locking it in.

Original owner was selling a John Deere 318 with fertilizer spreader and a John Deere yard cart for $250. He was getting blown up so I sent the message “send me your address, I have a trailer hooked up and can be there in 30 min with $400 cash.”

Doing stuff like that and not asking 27 stupid ass questions usually leads me to getting all the deals. That’s a $1,000 tractor, $200 cart and $50 spreader for reference. Sold the spreader for $50 and added tractor and cart to collection.

this too though. this helps me get shit when it's a deal and i want it

"hey id like to buy your item, i can come tomorrow at 3pm and pay you cash, does that work for you"

then flag their ad as many times as possible so someone doesn't steal your sweet deal you found :s00ls:

• Haha
Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Those are definitely the best situations. From what I've learned, you can't go shopping with the idea that if you find one you'll NEVER find another. I've been saying that with LeSabre GNs since the day I learned that they existed. There were only 117 of them made and I've seen three of them for sale in the last year!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
my favorite is when people list something too low and then are prooud about how quicckly it sold.

last year there was a 7.3 chinook class b RV minty as FUCK. dude had it listed for 20k iiirc... shoulda asked 35k ish or so.

"hey is your rv still available? if so i'd like to come look at it this afternoon"

"yeah you were way too slow it sold to the first guy that came last night"

sweet man, it's cuz you listed it for 15k under where you should have.

Reactions: Jon01 and justbob

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
my favorite is when people list something too low and then are prooud about how quicckly it sold.

last year there was a 7.3 chinook class b RV minty as FUCK. dude had it listed for 20k iiirc... shoulda asked 35k ish or so.

"hey is your rv still available? if so i'd like to come look at it this afternoon"

"yeah you were way too slow it sold to the first guy that came last night"

sweet man, it's cuz you listed it for 15k under where you should have.

I’ve literally said that word for word.

“Sorry man too slow, sold right away”

“No worries, you’re the one that shot yourself in the foot”

Ive never been one to let someone else have the final jab lol.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
First she said she was on her way. Then she said she would be here in an hour. An hour and a half later...
1610410013453.png

Welp. I tried.

Also today...
1610410476261.png

It's a free piece of plastic with holes in it and you want me to waste another hour after work waiting for you with no communication? Nah, bro. It's trash night.

New rule in my garage. Items listed for under $20 bucks can get saved from two garbage days or two no shows. Then they're out of here. If they real idiots about it, they'll get the video too.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Dude, if I can't get $50 for it or it's not some kind of rare part that someone might need I'm putting it in the trash and moving on with my life.
Fuck people and interacting with them for a few duckets. Just not worth the hassle.
It was never about money. I just don't like seeing useful stuff go to waste. I'm far from an environmentalist, but having all my junk buried in the dirt doesn't always sit well with me. I'd rather give it away to someone who can use it.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
So the rear clip?

:s00ls:
I just need to dice it up the way I'm going to sell it to make the most money so then these idiots don't ask me all that stuff.

The last set of quarters I had for one I cut through the opera window and sold for $800 for the pair. The guy came from Detroit to get them. (They don't repop g-body regal quarters yet, so they're gold when clean)

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Thread Info