Selling stuff on Facebook.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I just don't get people. I posted up some $40 aftermarket powersports handguards. The ad seemed to really draw out the fuck boys. First few messages "is it available?!?" I honestly cannot think why people ask that question so much. Do sellers so frequently not mark a item as sold that this is the most common first question one should ask? If the ad does not say sold why would it not be available? Then a few guys asking if I would take $10 or $15. Fuck man this shit was $100 new before tax and shipping and I used it on one trip. Lately I have been asking people "what would make you offer less without seeing it first" and that seems to end the conversation. I am generally VERY reasonable with the stuff I sell and price it to sell fast. Had one guy asking me if I could meet up somewhere. Looked at his profile and hes 20 min away. Fuck drove your ass to my house im not meeting you anywhere. Nexy guy asked me how far I was from Naperville. Again what the fuck, my ad says my location figure it out. Finally got a guy that messaged me when he can come by and take a look at them. I give him a time. He shows up. Said they can work for him and offered me $30. I told him I appreciated him making in offer in person but I needed $40 out of them. Then told him they were $100 new and I put links to the manufacture with pricing right on the ad. He said shit I didnt know they were that much and handed me $40. We bullshitted about snowmobiles for the next 15 min and he left. Easiest sale ever. Naperville guy messages me seconds after that guy left and asked me whats the lowest Id go. I said $40 a guy just bought them for and marked the ad as sold. :ROFLMAO:

I started selling on FB Marketplace almost exactly a year ago and have dealt with plenty of the low ballers, the "do you deliver" (for sneakers of all things) or "where are you located" inquiries even though FB clearly lists the location and the first statement in my listings says pickup only in Naperville, etc. Even had a few people agree to a price through messenger only to ask if there's any way I can take less once we met up in person.

I figure it comes with the territory. Any product or service that's super popular means you're dealing with the mass public, and if you're dealing with the mass public, you're dealing primarily with people that have a sense of entitlement and/or are too lazy to read and/or have low comprehension skills and are borderline retarded in general. It's certainly annoying, frustrating and even enfuriating sometimes to deal with the inconceivably stupid questions and requests you get. However, at the same time, I've been able to move a lot of junk on there that has been laying around the home for years (sometimes over a decade). Some stuff has even sold within a day or two of listing. Had a few items even sell the same day (made arrangements to meet up that night or the next day). I've got a loooong way to go in the decluttering process, but it has already been a HUGE help thus far. Even more so than eBay for a lot of the random things I'm trying to get rid of. So even though it does suck in many ways dealing with the downfalls of a popular platform, for me, it beats the alternative of dealing with less people but also much slower sales.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Put the old van back up again on CL, one of the first points in the ad I say... "If the ad is up, the van is still for sale..."

First three texts... "is the van still available?"

FFFfffffffuuuuu....
giphy.gif

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
What's REALLY annoying is when you reply with 'yes it is', and then that's the end of the conversation. Just crickets chirping. I'd say over 50% of the people who message me do this. I sometimes wonder if they hit the 'Send seller a message' button by accident.
Agreed. But I’d say closer to 70%...

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
So one guy started texting back and forth with me. Then he gets to the meat of the conversation and asks if I will take payments while I hold the title to his broken E150.

Uhhh, GTFO! I ain't a bank!
i always tell them i will accept payments.........

then they show up. and i take their first payment. and just say, "well let me know when you want to come drop off anyother payment..."

THEN, they get all pissy when i wont let them take the vehicle/title until its paid in full... :ROFLMAO:

i had a guy come from Milwaukee for a $1500 crown vic.. he gave me the ole "BUT YOU SAID YOU WOULD TAKE PAYMENTS?!" yes i will... but you never asked if you could take the car without paying it off in full...........

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
What's REALLY annoying is when you reply with 'yes it is', and then that's the end of the conversation. Just crickets chirping. I'd say over 50% of the people who message me do this. I sometimes wonder if they hit the 'Send seller a message' button by accident.
I was scrolling though some items and heard a weird sound. Turns out I accidently hit send and sent the "Is it available message?" Anyone should assume this message was an accident, or sent by an idiot that you don't want to deal with. Either way, just ignore it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jon01 and v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I was scrolling though some items and heard a weird sound. Turns out I accidently hit send and sent the "Is it available message?" Anyone should assume this message was an accident, or sent by an idiot that you don't want to deal with. Either way, just ignore it. :rolleyes:
I'm with you there. I've hit that button a few times by accident. I feel like the asshole, but at the same time it was really stupid on Zuc's part to make automated replies in the first place. All they are is automatic spam.

Reactions: b4black

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I randomly go back to craigslist to look for shit. Just not the selection there once was. Found something I was looking for for a while. Vintage Yamaha bag for the snowmobile. Found new old stock of it. WTF guy must have had it laying around for 20 years. It was down in Romeoville. Fuck thats far. No phone number or anything in ad. Pretty bad ad also, if I didn't know what I was looking for probably would have skipped right over it. I emailed through craigslist and left my phone number. Guy actually called me about 9AM. I asked him when hes available he couldn't really give me an answer. Told him I was located in Barrington/Crystal Lake Area. He said he will call me back. Great. Guy calls me back and says hes heading to Schaumburg to meet a buddy for lunch. OK I can meet you there, give give me a ETA. Calls me back again tells me hes going to Mchenry instead. Sweet even closer. He also says he has more yamaha shit he will bring OK. I ended up buying like $500 of brand new old stock yamaha parts for $100 from him. He said he has more also just needs to cleanout the garage more.

Good craigslist deal. Didn't have to drive over an hour each way and the guy sold me more shit for a good deal. Probably will buy more depending on what he has. I can make money on all this stuff once the swaps start back up.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Found something on craigslist I was looking for for a while. Vintage Yamaha bag for the snowmobile. Found new old stock of it. WTF guy must have had it laying around for 20 years. It was down in Romeoville. Fuck thats far. No phone number or anything in ad. Pretty bad ad also, if I didn't know what I was looking for probably would have skipped right over it. I emailed through craigslist and left my phone number. Guy actually called me about 9AM. I asked him when hes available he couldn't really give me an answer. Told him I was located in Barrington/Crystal Lake Area. He said he will call me back. Great. Guy calls me back and says hes heading to Schaumburg to meet a buddy for lunch. OK I can meet you there, give give me a ETA. Calls me back again tells me hes going to Mchenry instead. Sweet even closer. He also says he has more yamaha shit he will bring OK. I ended up buying like $500 of brand new old stock yamaha parts for $100 from him. He said he has more also just needs to cleanout the garage more.

Good craigslist deal. Didn't have to drive over an hour each way and the guy sold me more shit for a good deal. Probably will buy more depending on what he has. I can make money on all this stuff once the swaps start back up.
This thread needed a happy story. Lol

I love when deals end up being way better than anticipated. I remember seeing an ad for Volvo parts near Commisky years ago. I was kinda sketched out because the guy gave me really short answers and lived in an iffy area. I went anyway. It turned out that he was an awesome guy with a garage full of cool old and rare stuff. I ended up visiting three more times to buy more stuff. I wish that sort of thing happened more often.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Thread Info