• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Selling an 04.......

rexisme

Jan 9, 2008
I am selling my 04 cobra, the buyer is from PA. I still have a lien on the title. His bank is giving him a cashiers check in my name to pay off the car at my bank. I talked to my bank and they said since he is from out of state they will not cover the check if for soem reason it does not go through. That I would be stuck w/out the car and it would be 685 miles away, while still owing the balance of the loan. (to which i responded, you'd still have the title right? If i quit paying it would be your job to repo it and get it back right? Lol). Forr me not to give him the car until the check clears.... The buyer is pissed at me because I told him the car doesn't leave my posession until the check clears. Am I being unreasonable?

SICNESS

Opulence...I has it...
May 3, 2006
I am selling my 04 cobra, the buyer is from PA. I still have a lien on the title. His bank is giving him a cashiers check in my name to pay off the car at my bank. I talked to my bank and they said since he is from out of state they will not cover the check if for soem reason it does not go through. That I would be stuck w/out the car and it would be 685 miles away, while still owing the balance of the loan. (to which i responded, you'd still have the title right? If i quit paying it would be your job to repo it and get it back right? Lol). Forr me not to give him the car until the check clears.... The buyer is pissed at me because I told him the car doesn't leave my posession until the check clears. Am I being unreasonable?

Tell him to fuck himself if he doesn't like you seeing the transaction until the end. Seriously. Would he give up his Cobra without making sure the check is good?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I don't thinks it's unreasonable, ask your bank how many days to confirm check is good, type up an agreement that you will not drive the car in the process of check clearing and on said date when confirmation car is his, that way both of you are covered. I would agree though to the wire direct to the bank.

rexisme

Jan 9, 2008
Lol, that's one of the things that drew him to the car. He is taking out a loan so it would be his bank I am trusting. Which I mean if a t or I doesn't get dotted who is to say he will rectify the situation. I also thought I was being more than fair when I told him to just give me the payoff balance, when that clears he can have the car. Then when he receives the title he can give me he remainder. That still didn't satisfy him and he's tryin to make me feel like the dick.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
have his bank work directly with yours. his pays off the balance at your bank, and then cut a check to you for the balance.

I just did this same thing last week.
good idea right there, thats what id do
I would wait till the check clears. There has been to many scams out there and people losing their cars due to bad checks. TRUST NO ONE but your self when it comes to high dollar stuff.

+1 soooooooooooooo many scams out there its ridiculous, especially when youre trying to sell a car

when i was selling my integra i got all these emails saying someone would mail me a check for more than what i was asking and then id mail them back the difference... :confused: i wonder if anyone is stupid enough to actually do that, but i finally recieved an actual check from one of these scammers, took it to the bank for shits and sure enough - JUNK

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
I personally know someone who sold a car and the buyers cashiers check ended up being no good. Luckily for her, she was able to claim it as a theft and ended up getting more though insurance than the sale price of the car.

I would defiantly not let the car go until you are 100% sure you have the money.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
your bank lied to you. they can immediately identify whether or not the check is valid on the spot. i just gave my bank a certified check for 25k two days ago and they called and verified it indeed was a real check from citibank. they told me it would be 2-3 days before funds were available but i could withdraw up to 1/2 the amount right there:)

nothing like walking outta the bank w/10k. makes me smile all day long.

rexisme

Jan 9, 2008
your bank lied to you. they can immediately identify whether or not the check is valid on the spot. i just gave my bank a certified check for 25k two days ago and they called and verified it indeed was a real check from citibank. they told me it would be 2-3 days before funds were available but i could withdraw up to 1/2 the amount right there:)

nothing like walking outta the bank w/10k. makes me smile all day long.

Citibank is a little bit bigger business than some mom and pop credit union out of PA. $12.5k is half of $25k btw,your bank lied to you..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info