Seeking Custom Exhaust Shop

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
Well my $200 exhaust mod at the local Mexishop is total SH*T!

My car (2012 Chevy Caprice) has Active Fuel Management, which means it switches from 4cyl to 8cyl mode under different loads. What I had the shop do was remove the resonators and mid muffler in the mid section and straight piped it with an x pipe. WORST DECISION EVER. Under 8cyl mode, sounds amazing, when it jumps to 4cyl....the drone is unbearable! Sounds like a damn muffled air compressor. I want to get the whole system redone.

So... If anyone knows a GREAT shop (emphasis on great), please share.

• [*]I need someone who can do custom work, not just chop and weld.
    [*]Mandrel bend is must, it's what the car had stock.
    [*]Aluminized or Stainless, depends on price.

What I'm thinking of doing:
OEM Stock Exhaust (Not mine)
zIbqUI3l.jpg

After the cats, replace the mid muffler and 4 resonators with Dynomax Ultra Flo X Muffler followed by a Dynomax Race Bullet or Welded Round as a resonator. Out the back Dynomax Super Turbo and dual tips.

With this setup, I'm hoping to achieve quiet sound but great flow. I'm sure the size of the resonator after the X muffler will decrease the sound a lot. I'm done with loud exhaust, drone is so annoying, and I want to maintain a sleeper look/sound.

There are no kits (G8 kits fit, but need to be extended) that don't focus on being quiet and flow. They are all loud.

All recommendations and help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL

Woops, didn't see his last note.. I still think bolt on stuff for the g8 gt would be a better option if all you have to do is extend the tips a bit. At least this way you could watch a videos and know what it will sound like prior to installing. A custom mandrel exhaust isn't going to be cheap, and it would really suck if you got it done and hated the sound.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Woops, didn't see his last note.. I still think bolt on stuff for the g8 gt would be a better option if all you have to do is extend the tips a bit. At least this way you could watch a videos and know what it will sound like prior to installing. A custom mandrel exhaust isn't going to be cheap, and it would really suck if you got it done and hated the sound.

i dont think it's extend the tips. i think it'd probably have to be lengthened before the axle since the caprice has a longer wheelbase than a g8

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI

The problem with a bolt on system is they are all already really expensive. No kit is under $1,000 and to modify the kit and have extensions on the tips costs me too. There is only one cheap kit out there and it's $800 but doesn't have mufflers it has j pipes. At one point I was even going to bolt up a stock G8 system on it and modify it but it too was $900, and that was Craigslist.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Fair Muffler looks good, I like that he has pictures of his work on their website. Didn't see any pics on Jimmy Deans.

Does Fair Muffler do mandrel bend?

Both shops go way back to the Chicago Grand Prix days. Someone else can pipe in but I think the top guy from Fair went to Jimmys years ago, or other way around. Fair did my GTP cat back and had them do a stock on my 80 Trans Am.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
While not exactly an exhaust shop, I had Schwartz Performance do some exhaust work for me while the car was there for something else. It was show car quality. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. It was only a 2ft length with some bends, but easily the nicest thing on the car if you can believe that. I asked what they charge for a complete exhaust and they said approximately $4000. For that they use V-band clamps, tig welding, custom headers, flex joints up front, etc.

For their non show car builds, they have a local shop that they use. I'd call or email Dale and ask what the shops name is. It'll be significantly cheaper than going with Schwartz and most likely work for your needs.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
wouldn't it just be easier to disable AFM?

I want to keep AFM, saves lots of gas for roadtrips which i do often.

Speed INC

I talked with the guy from Speed Inc. last year, I even made the trip to visit the shop. He wanted to bolt up a kit, we even talked about tuning the car, he never got back to me. I even emailed him back later that week with no response. So I didn't bother contacting him any further. Shame because he seems like he does good work, but at the time I was to busy with work, and the trip was far for me to get there.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If you're willing to drive to Speed, I can recommend R&D Performance out of Carol Stream. They've got an awesome in house welder and John also does a lot of welding / custom fab himself as well. They tune and work on my Evo. Everything they put out is fantastic quality.

Example of custom fab work -

26461577641_c70d971b18_b.jpg

Quickest way to reach them is via FB or email - www.facebook.com/TurboAnything/

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
I hate to ask a stupid question but is it possible to cut the pipes, throw a couple race bullets in and be done with it?

ED:I'd fit the biggest resonators in that you can. Chances are that's your drone issue and it would go away even without a muffler.

Well a race bullet or welded round are resonators and what i'm planning to install. Last time they welded up the exhaust they told me AFTER they finished that the rear exhaust at the flex pipes was rusting away and needed to be fixed. So.... kinda want to fix the whole system while i'm messing with it. No sense on modifying an exhaust that is rusted, this car does have 160k on it.

[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] , I may contact Speed again, and i'll check out R&D too.

Thanks, for all your suggestions guys, i'm putting the exhaust on hold at the moment due to a recent recall notice. Since I'm an Uber driver and can't drive with an unsafe vehicle i have to get it fixed, that cuts into my income so I'll update next week with all the estimates.

I'm embarrassed to show this, but this is how bad the tips look. They're so off, but that's what $200 gets you.
vDTkjNul.jpg

Last edited:

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
If you're willing to drive to Speed, I can recommend R&D Performance out of Carol Stream. They've got an awesome in house welder and John also does a lot of welding / custom fab himself as well. They tune and work on my Evo. Everything they put out is fantastic quality.

Example of custom fab work -

26461577641_c70d971b18_b.jpg

Quickest way to reach them is via FB or email - www.facebook.com/TurboAnything/

Damn, that looks good. May hit them up for a custom downpipe.

JerryLSX

Regular
Feb 28, 2016
NWI
Getting Exhaust Re-done/ Plans to sell too

So I found someone who is going to redo my exhaust for $100, i'm ordering parts for $190, so a total of $290.
Should get the parts Saturday and maybe take it in Monday.
He's also gonna fix the rusted rear section.

My current setup:
Stock headers
Stock catalytic converters
Deleted "pup cats" (I honestly have no idea what they're called)
Deleted mid muffler
Deleted resonators
X-pipe & straight pipes
Stock mufflers
Ugly tips

This is what the underside of a Caprice looks like after 160k miles up in the Great Lakes
YoW0r8Tm.jpg

vDTkjNum.jpg

I ordered (2) new Dynomax Race Bullets, part# 24215
Flowmaster dual tips part# 15389 & 15390

Resonators are 12", will post up videos of before and after.
I know I went super cheap but I'm trusting the guy I'm taking it to, I'm also planning on selling the car now in the upcoming year.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Both shops go way back to the Chicago Grand Prix days. Someone else can pipe in but I think the top guy from Fair went to Jimmys years ago, or other way around. Fair did my GTP cat back and had them do a stock on my 80 Trans Am.

Jimmy Dean worked at Fair, and then opened up his own shop. It has been a LONG time, but IIRC JD did crush bend work, while Fair upgraded to mandrel bends.

Like I said, its been a long time. I would hope JD upgraded as well. Doesnt hurt to call and ask. :dunno:

http://fairmuffleril.com/

http://www.jamesdeanmuffler.com/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info