3800 seeing interests

I

imported_1fastGTP

well my engine locked up... im not sure on what happend with it but it will be taken into the shop and looked into. i am thinking of selling the turbo kit and going with a big build through zzp. im sure alot of you have seen the kit. its got only a few thousand miles on it has every upgrade possible. the kit new is $5,075 with all the options listed on cartunings site. http://cartuning.ca/productsTurboKit.php

if anyone is interested let me know, im looking to get $4,000-4,250 for the whole kit. anyone that has seen my car knows its a monster and this kit made it happen. i am also selling my xp cam/springs/retainers looking to get $350 for that and that too has a couple thousand miles on it. ill keep everyone informed with whats going on. the car will be going to zzp within a month so they can start the tear down. if you need pics i have a few on my cardomain site otherwise i can take others if needed.

thanks for looking
Shaun

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Id would point fingers at ZZP as they just tuned your shit.

You havent had much luck with that car man. first the trans, then the engine, your car doesent even have that many miles on it. Honestly instead of keep moding it up and then demoding (probably losing money) sell the car and buy something different or demod and do a mild setup.

It really sucks man, I never got a ride :(

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Id would point fingers at ZZP as they just tuned your shit.

You havent had much luck with that car man. first the trans, then the engine, your car doesent even have that many miles on it. Honestly instead of keep moding it up and then demoding (probably losing money) sell the car and buy something different or demod and do a mild setup.

It really sucks man, I never got a ride :(
[/b]
Depends on what happened. Dont point blame at ZZP just cause he was just there. Id hate to see what happens if someone were to point their fingers at RV when he tunes someones shit. Hell, shot in the dark it could have been the tranny overrevving the engine. You just dont know yet so dont point fingers without knowing facts.

I

imported_1fastGTP

well my car has been through hell... and im getting sick of all the running around ive been doing for the past year. i decided i want to go to one place and get it done right. zzp will do my engine and a nice turbo setup with a tune to make sure this car should be right where it needs to be. i had a supercharged setup that could hit high 12's and just had a change of heart to go turbo. did that a month n a half later bye bye tranny. i finally get that fixed and i have nobody that can tune it... annoying.. ron v is back from vaca to swap over the gearing and it runs like crap. so for the time ive had my trans fixed i still havent enjoyed my car. i take the trip out to zzp to find out my trans is crapping out on me... they stated its either slipping or the stall is WAY to high. so its tuned to best of what it can be. i get on the car ONCE thats it since i had it back from zzp because i was still afraid something was wrong. i get ahold of mike k a few days ago and say my trans isnt right i need this checked out. he has me press the brake on the car and press the gas till it starts to move... well it hits over 4k and still didnt move. so he believes its slipping. i turn the car of once im off the phone with him and ask the girlfriend if shes ready to go out... we get into my car back out of her driveway and make it 2 houses down before my car shuts off... this shit just never ends and we dont have enough people in this area that can help or actually work on these cars. so if i find out that the engine is a bad fix... im going all out zzp. if its a fix of heads then i can do that. otherwise im thinking of taking the turbo kit off selling it and having this car get the engine built from the ground up from zzp with there turbo kit so its all from one vendor/place. if anyone has questions thoughts etc.. post or pm me.

Shaun

I

imported_Ron Vogel

i finally get that fixed and i have nobody that can tune it... annoying.. ron v is back from vaca to swap over the gearing and it runs like crap.
Shaun
[/b]
If you're blaming me, go to hell. I did you so many favors and freebies for you it's not even funny.

When you were over last, I reflased your gearing as a favor, and gave you a low mile Denso 02 sensor, because yours was shot. I guess I'm never seeing any money from that...or the other times you said you'll catch me later...or maybe you forgot? Yeah, and I showed you how you were getting no crosscounts from the sensor and why it had been idling poorly.

There are plenty of places that can work on your car, you just need to pay the piper...which you don't seem to want to do.

Most people wouldn't drive at all unless they could get an expensive build fully checked out, so the only person you have to blame is yourself. Why drive it all the way to MI if there's something wrong with it?

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but it's pretty rediculous to drag me into your problems because I don't have time to help you.

Maybe I could drag you into my problems...and you could feed my kids and pay the mortgage.

Have a nice day.

I

imported_silverbullet

If you're blaming me, go to hell.

man you really pissed ron off! that's the first time i see ron get mad like that. i wouldn't be surprise when your car is finish from zzp you probably end up taking it back for some other minor/major problems. after reading post from clubgp and here i don't think i let them work on my car. i only buy parts from them cause of decent price and fast shipping.

I

imported_1fastGTP

1st off i didnt blame ron.. and im not the type of guy to point fingers, and i know hes been there doing alot of stuff for me. but ive paid for the things that have been done. so for you to come off stating "if your blaming me, go to hell" thats pretty shallow.. i said it ran like crap. so where did i say it was all your fault ron? im a little frustrated, pissed off, dissapointed... the list continues. so just so everyone gets this straight im NOT blaming anyone. it ran like crap once the new trans was put in and it ran like crap after the gearing was swapped over. when the kit was 1st put in and tuned by Ron it was just pure amazing shifted perfect just ran like a charm. so theres no way im going to put ron down. so anyways enough of ron because it has absolutely nothing to do with him.. i was just saying he swapped the gearing and something still wasnt right he didnt tune it or anything.. just exactly what he stated above.

so now... back to everything else. my car was in need of a tune and i thought what better way than a dynotune from zzp since im going to spend the weekend up there anyway. like i just dont even know what to say anymore because it seems like i hear different stories from everyone about my car.. like i said before im not pointing fingers saying it was this guy since i stated there name in a sentence.. cuz thats not the case. mike k said my trans runs good, but right when i drove it.. it didnt seem right because obviously i know my car better than anyone here since im the one always driving it. he said it was brake stalled at 3200RPM but i happened to stall it at 4k+ there just seems to be alot missing in communication from people or nobody wants to deal with stuff. i am also going to state that mike was really helpfull with everything and he still is doing what he can to see whats wrong. im done ranting now and im not in the mood to get into little petty arguements and have others just start jumping in for no reason. theres just so many options as to what happend and once everything is taken apart and checked we can see what may have caused it.

I am sorry for how this turned out, i didnt want this to be a huge even that others turned it into. im personalyl going to say sorry to ron for the mix up and to have him understand that i dont point fingers especially to friends that help one another out. and i want to thank mike and a few others that have been helping me figure out whats wrong. ill keep everyone posted with things as for the kit it is comming off and will be for sale still.

Shaun

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Depends on what happened. Dont point blame at ZZP just cause he was just there. Id hate to see what happens if someone were to point their fingers at RV when he tunes someones shit. Hell, shot in the dark it could have been the tranny overrevving the engine. You just dont know yet so dont point fingers without knowing facts.[/b]

Im just saying they were the last people to touch the car. ZZP are supposly professionals. Vogel shouldnt be blamed (if he did something and your car blows up) because its not like he works on Grand Prix's for a living and charges hundreds. Im sure Ron would do anything he can to help you out and or get it running again though. If it was found out that ZZP messed up Shawns car they should warrentty it and fix it, or do you sign a waver when ZZP does work on your car?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well before ya'll go insane it's best to determine the failure mode, how was it running before this happened (engine wise)....more specifically it needs a full teardown and inspection, which part failed? if shrapnel was in the oil, and the filter plugged up (and god forbid the oil filter bypass opens and sends a crapload of crud through everything) what else was damaged... the clues for a parts failure are always there...you have to know what to look for.

over the years i've been a tech i have learned alot about the 3800 (and it's ancestry) reminicent of what i have heard/learned about the GN 3.8l, i have had SII cars show up out of nowhere with a snapped rod from a wiped bearing (most of the time the engine is 1 or more qts low, and not all hole the block and loose fluid. one in particular i remember because the rod bearing was mint and the rod snapped at an occlusion near the big end...OE parts arent the best solution as many are led to believe....there's plenty of room for improvement, particularly with the oiling system...

.....this shit just never ends and we dont have enough people in this area that can help or actually work on these cars.....[/b]

B, V & I are working on that... ;)

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Shitty to hear about the car taking yet another huge dump. Everybody else already said a bunch of this stuff but...

1. Ron Vogel should have nothing to do with this thread. He changed gears (If I read correctly) and that is it.

2. Unless ZZP was commanding some crazy number of timing or tuned it wayyyy lean, they should not be to blame either.

Modded cars are just that... modded cars. Shit breaks, we whine a little bit, fix it, then move on. Johnny O's sig on clubgp says something similar to the above.

I know they make more power, but honestly... with the number of the turbo cars that have problems, I'm happy that I'm staying s/c'ed. I would much rather have a mid-high 12 second car I can rely on every day than have a low 12 second/high 11 second car that I have to worry about all the time. Only way I could go the turbo route is if I had an extremely reliable daily driver.

Anyway... enough ranting. Sorry to hear about the breakage. :( I would probably have thrown in the towel on the GTP if I had as many problems as you've been having. At some point a guy has to realize he needs to cut his losses and move on to something different. :(

I

imported_1fastGTP

1. Ron Vogel should have nothing to do with this thread. He changed gears (If I read correctly) and that is it.

2. Unless ZZP was commanding some crazy number of timing or tuned it wayyyy lean, they should not be to blame either.
[/b]

thats exactly how i put it. like i said im not one for pointing the finger. as for moving on... thats just not an option for me. im going to get this car to run awesome. once i get the new shortblock with stage 2 heads and the st2 cam the engine should run alot smoother, and then ill have there new kit thrown on with a 70-72 trim turbo, with the front and rear power logs, 3" downpipe the whole 9 yards. even tho some of you dont like zzp and how they run there shop there really nice guys, especially turbo tim he helped me out with my car like no other. he doesnt see the block being cracked or any of that... he thinks a rod may have bent and or smashed a piston. tues./wed. im going to be tearing down the engine if some of you would like to come by and help your more than welcome to and would be appreciated.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Depends on what happened. Dont point blame at ZZP just cause he was just there. Id hate to see what happens if someone were to point their fingers at RV when he tunes someones shit. Hell, shot in the dark it could have been the tranny overrevving the engine. You just dont know yet so dont point fingers without knowing facts.[/b]

Im just saying they were the last people to touch the car. ZZP are supposly professionals. Vogel shouldnt be blamed (if he did something and your car blows up) because its not like he works on Grand Prix's for a living and charges hundreds. Im sure Ron would do anything he can to help you out and or get it running again though. If it was found out that ZZP messed up Shawns car they should warrentty it and fix it, or do you sign a waver when ZZP does work on your car?
[/b]

You like to "just say" or throw out that $.02 dont ya?? I didnt realize I passed the crown on.....

03turbogt

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
damn that blows man, i know how you feel for sure i just never ranted about how fucked over i got with my car but i did what your about to do went to zzp and they took care of me now my car runs like a champ and still is. oh and btw i need to get me a job at jewel i need some of this money you got damn.

I

imported_1fastGTP

damn that blows man, i know how you feel for sure i just never ranted about how fucked over i got with my car but i did what your about to do went to zzp and they took care of me now my car runs like a champ and still is. oh and btw i need to get me a job at jewel i need some of this money you got damn.
[/b]

haha i love ya eric. you know cuz jewel makes sooo much money...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Well, it sounds like there was an underlying problem with the car. I'm now wondering if the low dyno numbers were a sign of things to come. You do have that head on there that Steve put on from the cam swap. I don't recall specifically where he got it but if he got it from my blown engine it wasn't in pretty shape. I'm not blaming Steve, of course, but it's a thought.

It sounds like car was down on power from the getgo. ZZP wanted to go right away and blame the trans and I don't blame them because the car was putting down poor numbers and that was the last major component touched. Anyone would look there first. The problem is transmissions don't blow engines and with the engine locking a week later the low power numbers are now suspect.

It's anyone's guess until the engine is pulled apart. I'm of the opinion that this is a catastrophic (non-rebuildable) failure and that the engine will need to be replaced.

Hell, shot in the dark it could have been the tranny overrevving the engine.[/b]
Highly unlikely, especially in Shawn's case since the engine was built to handle the RPMs that the XP cam requires. Even at 6600, which is what I believe Shawn said it went to once, the prevailing issue would be valve float.

Shit happens sometimes. We take for granted that our blocks are able to handle so much horsepower with no modifications so when something like this happens people automatically assume something was defective. Sometimes the only answer is shit happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info