Sea-Ray that sunk at the point pleasant canal in New Jersey

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
To help prevent I have more of the weight in the back of the boat and trim / speed the bow up

Prior to going out, would have also used my best judgement with lake / ocean conditions that day vs boat capabilities vs number of occupants.

what's nuts ( i dont know this area of course) is this canal connects two bodies of water "off" the ocean... and currents like that through it to me are nuts.

1661446802991.png

Reactions: v6buicks

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Captain Yaj Yak Yaj Yak chime in

completely armchair quarter backing this entirely as i have like no fucking experience boating with ocean currents like this... but from how i understand since i dont understand is you should ride the waves as best as you can and really throttle up and back depending on your angle of dangle altitude. i watched a bunch of videos of smaller boats going through this canal without incident

very counter intuitve but i really think he should have sped up, trimmed the motor out of the water, got the weight out of the bow and got the bow out of the water for sure

also, the kids (anyone really) shouldn't have been in the bow through there for sure.
secondly, im really surprised it doesn't look like all the kids have vests on regardless of water conditions, which is mindfucking cuz they look smaller than 12

Bro holding the windshield together, aka wally-boater mcgee, not doing shit when the kids started getting fucking sunk is mind blowing.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
looks like a 21 footer im guessing from sea-rays website which calls for up to 12 people/1700lbs so i dont think so. looks like they were under that it appears unless there was a fatty hidiing somewhere
Lmao, there's prob a fatty rolling around the floor at the bow unable to sit up, root cause IDENTIFIED

It's crazy how rough the water is. I would not want to take 10+ people through that in a boat that small, nopenopenopenope. Even my non-boating ass would look at the boat, look at the water, and say "naaaaaah maybe tomorrow".

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm surprised there is that much of a current as well, though it is in a reduced-width channel, so guessing it is amplified? From an idiot's eyes (mine) it looked like there was just a lot of wake cascading up and down the channel, being amplified by more boats going through.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I see it often down here with bay rider style boats entering and leaving the gulf into a inlet and the water crashing on the bow of a boat that is over packed with people.

few months back seen a boat like that take Hit with a few close waves in bad wether and came very close to taking them down, and the family on it.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The driver appeared to be lost on what to do when the boat began to take water.
My non-boater reaction plan: Turn on bilge pump, transfer kids to the back, throw the useless dude in the middle overboard to save weight, trim the motor whichever way it needs to be trimmed to bring the bow up, and floor it

Yaj Yak Yaj Yak would I survive the deadly atlantic coast if I took such steps

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
My non-boater reaction plan: Turn on bilge pump, transfer kids to the back, throw the useless dude in the middle overboard to save weight, trim the motor whichever way it needs to be trimmed to bring the bow up, and floor it

The pacific maybe. Atlantic..
Nope.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

bilge pump woulda been straight pissing in the wind with how much water the fucker took on.

but yeah your game plan woulda been better than what happened.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info