Sea Ray Boat Build

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I have been looking for another boat project with the first requirement a cabin cruiser newer than 1991 with length of 26-28 for easier trailering and cheaper storage/moorage cost. I also wanted a table and bed in lower cabin which newer boats consolidate into a combo table/bed. I wanted twin engines for maneuverability and redundancy and AC/heat for relief in cabin and generator so everything is useable while underway. I was open to all brands except Bayliner which doesn't have a cabin cruiser under 30' with twin engines but was partial to Sea Rays and Formulas. Formulas tend to be top notch quality and fast with twin 5.7l's but their 27PC doesn't have enough cabin space (separate table) and they have a higher price premium for their reputation. Sea Ray's are good quality boats (I've owned 2 previously) but only offer the 4.3L's for their twins in the 27-28 foot Sundancer and their 29' Sundancer with twin 5.0l's is larger than I would want to trailer and basically out of my budget. I narrowed my search to a 1999 Sea Ray 270 located on Lake of the Ozarks. The seller owned it for 14 years and it was all fresh water useage and under 500 hours for engines. The seller said it was the Special Edition but that model was the value model with less options narrower beam and lower quality finishings. Of all the sellers I contacted he was very cordial (some were downright nasty) and responsive to my questions. I wanted to correct him on his model but figured he might raise the price so I just verified all of the non SE options including walk through windshield and generator to make sure it was the non SE edition. I asked for name and he said Generac which isn't factory on Sea Rays but he later sent pics of generator that showed it was Kohler which was a relief because many listings state generator and they are just including a cheap portable one that may or may not be safe to operate depending how they mount and wire it. Like most listers not a lot of pictures nor not a lot of detail in his listings but I was hoping that would deter the other value conscious/cheap shoppers.

He seemed very busy so not a lot of communication but I drove out there with my buddy's F350 (a previous project I sold him) to check it out and bring it back if I liked it. First thing guy was really down to earth and friendly and boat was on lift so I could see the gelcoat was in very good condition and the cockpit upholstery was also in good condition. He had another boat and a jet ski and when we discussed occupations he stated Automotive but later found out he owns a Honda dealership. While checking it out I noticed things he didn't mention including it has upgraded blue tooth stereo with amp, auto trim tab, and a 2014 really nice Trailmaster custom built trailer (prolly paid 12K). He lowered it into water and we took it out and I drove it for a few minutes but my primary concern was oil pressure, starting issues, engine cooling water temps and noises when shifting. Everything seemed fine but the steering effort was strong and I didn't test anything else because for the price I was willing to fix minor issues and I had small window to get back home. The boat was so nice that I didn't negotiate anymore which is rare for me but I have learned that sometimes you can kill an already excellent deal by trying to be greedy. We loaded up the boat and broke the boat winch strap (which was already tied on) so I had him just cut off the bad piece and tie it back on to the hook until I get new strap. He didn't use transom straps which I luckily brought 2 with me from my last boat that fit fine on this one. Having a boat tied down to trailer at just the bow is very risky especially if that strap breaks. I brought some spare rachet straps so we also used the bow eyelet to rachet bow down to trailer directly so between those and the transom straps the boat was securely on the trailer. I started on my 500 mile trip back and spent a hour driving through some of the most winding and hilly terrain until I got back on the interstate.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6672.JPG
IMG_6671.JPG
IMG_6673.JPG

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 17

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Saw this 290 on the side of the road in Minocqua and stopped to take a quick look over the weekend. No price but very clean. Either it just got a fresh detail and acid wash or the guy trailered it everytime he used it. Pretty large boat for the Northwoods so I kinda assumed it was used on Lake Superior. A older guy rolls up in a 2002 S500 as I was leaving and says jump up there and take a look if you want. He looked like he made alot of money in the 90's :rofl:

20220713_152343.jpg

20220713_152315.jpg

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
It was Saturday. I left there at about 11 am ish and got home after 9pm.

My 2 biggest worries were trailer bearings and the truck. The guy doesn't seem to have used the trailer much and that to me means deferred maintenance. He checked tire pressure at 40psi and I thought that was okay but when I got home saw they require much more. I was worried about bearing overheating and wheel coming off and being stuck in the middle of nowhere with the boat trailer. It happened to me once before with a 25' boat and I had to leave it at a firehouse lol until I could get BoatUs to send a truck which couldn't repair it but racheted the hanging axle up so I could tow it back to a shop.

My next worry was the truck. This was pristine one owner low mile (99K) truck from TX I sold my friend with the 6.0L Powerstroke that he drives like he stole it yet doesn't even do oil changes. He treats it like a gasser so I have done 4 or 5 oil changes for him and I doubt he has had anybody else do them yet he has put on at least 50K miles. The only saving grace last year it was a no start and he towed it in to a local powerstroke shop and had to get the whole top end rebuilt and of course HG and studs. He had blown head gasket, bad injectors and glow plugs with a clogged turbo. When he dropped it off it ran fine but when I checked the oil it was solid black. I didn't have time to change it so did the 1,000 miles then changed it when I got back. The 6.0l didn't skip a beat but I could definitely tell the trailer was behind it. I would rather use a long bed dually for this if it was my choice.

Very nice, what day did you return with it?

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Nice boat. I agree with the table and bed being separate. I would also seek the same if I was looking in that size. Seems like the perfect size for rough/big water but still relatively easy to tow around for storage or checking out new lakes. Where are you going to use this?

I am at Hammond Marina so either the Lake when it's decent or skip over to the river. I don't go out far I hug the shoreline lol

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Saw this 290 on the side of the road in Minocqua and stopped to take a quick look over the weekend. No price but very clean. Either it just got a fresh detail and acid wash or the guy trailered it everytime he used it. Pretty large boat for the Northwoods so I kinda assumed it was used on Lake Superior. A older guy rolls up in a 2002 S500 as I was leaving and says jump up there and take a look if you want. He looked like he made alot of money in the 90's :rofl:

View attachment 126624

View attachment 126625

This is definitely a VERY CLEAN boat especially for its age! I love the 290's and the stout big blocks. Some guys put in the 8.1l or 8.2l when they upgrade.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
That 6.0l was too loud for my taste so gave it back and decided to try my 09 Expedition which was another project. It has 157k and has seen better days. The AC is marginal and the rear air suspension was suspect and compressor is loud so I know it’s very aged. I don’t know weight of boat/trailer but weighed the tongue and it was 900# so I know this is prolly the upper limits of what I want on the back of this. I hooked it up and when I started it the compressor groaned and complained but raise it back to level. No trailer brakes controller so I found a Curt wireless one I bought years back and set it up with my cell phone and off to take boat to Hammond for its launch. It was just streets (no highways) so I accelerated slow watched trees and viaducts and was easy on the braking. The trailer brakes were very strong so no worry on that but I was worried that weight could cause a rear air shock failure but made it there with no issues.

IMG_6857.JPG
IMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Forgot to mention on sea trial one voltmeter said 12V the other was off the scale. Seller said it's been like that for years so I knew there was some electrical issues. The steering took more effort so either the auto tabs were on and I was fighting them or that was another issue.
When I got home I removed the grease caps on trailer axles and put in more grease (should have done that before leaving) and 3 had solid black excess grease come out and one had grey mixture that had thinner consistency that I am assuming is water contamination.
I have 2 battery switches one is OFF ON the other is OFF 1 2 BOTH and 3 batteries so this is not the usual set up I am used to. One battery is starting battery and the other 2 are in parallel so checking all 3 voltages with either engine running and both engines running I figured at least the starboard alternator was inop. I made sure I charged batteries on shorepower and didn't stay out too long except one time when I went to downtown I started the generator and turned on the AC battery charger and saw 14v on the good voltmeter. I did bring a jump box but didn't want to chance anything so far from home.
On next trip I also confirmed power steering pump is empty so filled it back up and it was empty in 5 minutes. I filled it back up and it stayed in but still no power steering.
Oh and I also forgot he said the port shifting cable is bad so you have to put in it reverse to get it to go into neutral. My first docking was perfect but I was lucky the next few with no power steering and bad shifting cables I was trying so many times other boaters showed up to help guide me in. I just acted like I was new to boating didn't want to tell them this was my project lol

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I could not get a mobile boat mechanic to come out nor find a marina with time to repair this so didn't want to miss too many boating days so decided to try some of the simpler repairs. I am not a wrencher as many are on TCG but I figured this is how I learn. I looked up my alternator model # and after looking at the aftermarket offerings decided to order an OEM so I won't have any fitment issues from Amazon. I got it the next day and watched a few videos on changing marine alternators but none showed how to release tension until I found a short one. You use 2 wrenches and the smaller bolt turns a screw that has a notched wheel at end that moves on bracket to control tension. The alternator I took off had a detached wire and the rubber boot that protects the main terminal was melted. Looks like someone turned off battery switch with engine running and blew the alternator. I crimped on a new terminal on the loose wire and installed new alternator and the starboard voltmeter now shows 14.5v at idle.
IMG_7336.JPG
IMG_7335.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG
IMG_7346.JPG
IMG_7345.JPG
IMG_7350.JPG
IMG_7355.JPG

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Also meant to say that when I first turned on the water system it looked like the hot water heater was leaking. By later that day there was more water coming from behind the hot water heater so there is a leak somewhere in the pressurized system so I just turn it off when I am not using it. I didn't discover this until there was a oil slick surrounding my boat in the harbor. It seems the leaking water was filling the bilge and combining with the power steering fluid that all leaked out of the system and the bilge pump was pumping it out when it reached the high water level in bilge. I used Dawn to clean up the oil in the bilge so next discharge no more oil slick. The bonus is this has a vacu flush system which is a better way of evacuating the head so I will have to learn up more on that system. He told me that tank leaks but I haven't noticed it thus far.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
It was Saturday. I left there at about 11 am ish and got home after 9pm.

My 2 biggest worries were trailer bearings and the truck. The guy doesn't seem to have used the trailer much and that to me means deferred maintenance. He checked tire pressure at 40psi and I thought that was okay but when I got home saw they require much more. I was worried about bearing overheating and wheel coming off and being stuck in the middle of nowhere with the boat trailer. It happened to me once before with a 25' boat and I had to leave it at a firehouse lol until I could get BoatUs to send a truck which couldn't repair it but racheted the hanging axle up so I could tow it back to a shop.

My next worry was the truck. This was pristine one owner low mile (99K) truck from TX I sold my friend with the 6.0L Powerstroke that he drives like he stole it yet doesn't even do oil changes. He treats it like a gasser so I have done 4 or 5 oil changes for him and I doubt he has had anybody else do them yet he has put on at least 50K miles. The only saving grace last year it was a no start and he towed it in to a local powerstroke shop and had to get the whole top end rebuilt and of course HG and studs. He had blown head gasket, bad injectors and glow plugs with a clogged turbo. When he dropped it off it ran fine but when I checked the oil it was solid black. I didn't have time to change it so did the 1,000 miles then changed it when I got back. The 6.0l didn't skip a beat but I could definitely tell the trailer was behind it. I would rather use a long bed dually for this if it was my choice.

We headed back on Sunday from the Ozarks in which there was a large boat / trailer that detached from a truck. The boat was still on the trailer, but down in a ravine.

The truck was a couple hundred yards down the road.

With the owner awaiting with the Police there

• Wow
Reactions: Spivitz and rowekmr

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
We headed back on Sunday from the Ozarks in which there was a large boat / trailer that detached from a truck. The boat was still on the trailer, but down in a ravine.

The truck was a couple hundred yards down the road.

With the owner awaiting with the Police there
That's the WORST nightmare. I criss cross my safety chains to catch the tongue if there is a hitch failure to catch the tongue instead of it digging into the ground possibly cartwheeling the trailer/boat and I always hook the break away cable to the hitch. That is to ensure the electric brakes come on if the trailer detaches from hitch so you won't have a runaway trailer. Many people just simply attach them to the safety chains for convenience but then the brakes won't engage if trailer breaks away from tow vehicle. That owner was lucky the boat went down the ravine versus barreling into another vehicle. Large boats weigh over 10K so much more kinetic energy with them going 65mph vs a 4k pound car.

My first time at the Ozarks and really loved the scenery and amazed at how many boats are out there.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I heard some buzzing after a trip and couldn’t tell where it was coming from. Had to leave dock so out of caution turned both battery switches off when I left knowing only thing wired outside of them is the bilge pumps. Went home and did some thinking and figured it was a pump next time out after a trip heard it again and went to the stairs and raised it and found the shower and AC condensate bilge pump and listened to it pump and heard the motor sound go up and down like it’s on its last leg (everything on last leg on 20 year boat). I’m assuming float switch must be going bad leaving pump on excessively burning it out also. I don’t use shower nor AC so it’s at the bottom of my list for things to do this season.

IMG_7314.JPG

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That 6.0l was too loud for my taste so gave it back and decided to try my 09 Expedition which was another project. It has 157k and has seen better days. The AC is marginal and the rear air suspension was suspect and compressor is loud so I know it’s very aged. I don’t know weight of boat/trailer but weighed the tongue and it was 900# so I know this is prolly the upper limits of what I want on the back of this. I hooked it up and when I started it the compressor groaned and complained but raise it back to level. No trailer brakes controller so I found a Curt wireless one I bought years back and set it up with my cell phone and off to take boat to Hammond for its launch. It was just streets (no highways) so I accelerated slow watched trees and viaducts and was easy on the braking. The trailer brakes were very strong so no worry on that but I was worried that weight could cause a rear air shock failure but made it there with no issues.

View attachment 126664View attachment 126665View attachment 126666

dude that's WAY over what that expedition is rated to tow :rofl:

1658404793148.png

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Replace both shift cables while you're at it.

If this was my boat and not knowing the history I would replace the cap, rotor, and plugs on both engines. I would also replace the seawater impellers and thermostats. Lastly, I would put in fresh bilge pumps. Overall, not a ton of money in parts and if you're handy everything is DIY.

As for the skeg, that can be repaired where they weld on a "patch" and paint. It will look like new. Last time I had a prop repaired it was about $250 each to repair, balance, and polish.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
dude that's WAY over what that expedition is rated to tow :rofl:

View attachment 126729
And my generator and steel trailer prolly add to that number lol
I will never advocate for towing over limits but GVWR and axle and tire ratings are more important than tow rating for towing. The biggest issues typically are suspension and braking. I saw the air shocks adequately compensate for the tongue weight so was comfortable knowing the trailer adding 900# to my chasssis that’s rated to haul more (7 passenger seating) and knew all brake components are fresh/replaced on this truck and knowing the trailer brakes were in great shape plus my experience towing trailers (have CDL) I felt safe starting the trip. Trailer sway wouldn’t be an issue because the adequate tongue weight plus I wasn’t going over 40mph. If I observed or felt anything unsafe I would have brought it back and borrowed the F350 again.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak and DEEZUZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info