school me on Jeeps

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Fucker hates the cold, won't start sometimes.
Occasionally the alarm just starts goin off, have to disconnect the battery, sometimes for 15+min.

It goes into limp dick mode too often for no apparent reason reason, again have to disconnect the battery to reset the system.

I'm sure the issues vary by year.

Want to buy mine?
:smile:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Solid 4.0L and drive train
Comfortable, good in the snow, okay w/ mpg
If you find one that’s been well maintained it will last a long time.
Solid, heavy

Not the best with accidents / roll overs
Understand things will be wearing out / breaking. Not a high mile accord or civic where you turn the key and drive worry free.

If you are not married to a Jeep then a 4Runner may be worth considering.

SinisterZJ

Dec 30, 2017
Well I’ve had a 98 cherokee with a 4.0, rolled 250k before I finally sold it and it was still in good shape. It held up to a head on collision needing only a new front axle, got okay mileage too. Big things to go wrong are blown u joints, worn down steering system will cause death wobble, and the brake system is really out of date.

My 98 5.9 is great. Sucks on gas but if I was concerned with that, I wouldn’t have bought this. So far no real issues and it has 100k on it

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee here. It has not let me down. Thing is a beast and fun to drive off road. Its been in my family since new so that does help. Does suck down the gas and has some rust issues on the rockers but I plan to fix that. I’d say buy one and have fun with it. 4x4 rocks and i would recommend the in-line 6.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Owned a few grand cherokees. Currently have the 5.7L 2012 grand cherokee overland. Great vehicles for the price, i love mine. The older ones had their fair share of electrical problems, i can attest to that. If you don't want a vehicle that will be riddled with many minor issues, stay clear of the 99-04 models. The newer ones are much better, and the issues they did have they were mostly covered free of charge under recalls. I had mine taken in for the lights in the sun visors, and some radio issue, both fixed for free. AWESOME winter vehicles.

One negative about them, even the 6ers, is they are all gas guzzlers.

Last edited:

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
We had a 99 GC v8 that w bought in 2000. That Jeep was a dream. We absolutely loved it. Had well over 100k problem free miles until the heater core broke. At that time we had a week long vacation planned the next day. I did not have time to fix it. So we traded it in on a Chrysler Aspen which turned out to be another fantastic problem free SUV. I loved both SUV's a lot but I did like the Hemi and larger Aspen more.

SinisterZJ

Dec 30, 2017
We had a 99 GC v8 that w bought in 2000. That Jeep was a dream. We absolutely loved it. Had well over 100k problem free miles until the heater core broke. At that time we had a week long vacation planned the next day. I did not have time to fix it. So we traded it in on a Chrysler Aspen which turned out to be another fantastic problem free SUV. I loved both SUV's a lot but I did like the Hemi and larger Aspen more.

My parents have had a 2008 aspen for a while now. Surprisingly enough, the Hemi engine in there gets about the same if not a little worse mileage than my 5.9. I do like the aspens size and towing capacity though

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info