Say bye bye to the Yamaha R6

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This is kind of a big deal, honestly 50%+ of the bikes you see at the track are r6's. Most common bike there is, period. I'm really surprised they are pulling it.

If suzuki and honda can keep making bikes (that nobody buys) without going under, i just can't imagine yamaha was losing money on the r6

Fucking never see any suzukis or hondas ANYWHERE, not on the street, not on the track, yet they keep pumping out bikes

Reactions: 10thSVT_03

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Maybe its not about sales?

Considering how matter-of-fact the statement is, it leads us to believe that maybe this could be a Hayabusa type of scenario in which the company pulls the model “for now” over emissions restraints to relaunch a 2.0 version further down the road. Or maybe Yamaha is making room for an MT-07 R7 spin-off in an attempt to streamline the lineup?

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I bet it is more related to Euro 5 emission standards. Looks like they are axing the WR250R and VMAX as well. The R6 does surprise me though. As Conrad said above it is the most popular 600 supersport for track use.

Another thought may be because of the explosion of naked bikes. Supersports on the street have been dying for years. You can get close to the same performance with a much more comfortable street friendly bike.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Maybe its not about sales?
Hopefully that's the case. I'm concerned they're just getting away from smaller displacement sportbikes entirely, which would be unfortunate. Yamaha is the only japanese manufacturer that's managed to stay relevant since BMW flipped the market on its head, after which ducati followed suit and started making some badass bikes.

Kawi is a close 2nd to yamaha, honda and suzuki are always years and years behind the competition. Honda finally made a liter bike worth buying this year then gave it a ducati pricetag, stupid.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If BMW ever makes a 600cc bike it's game over for everyone else. Their 1000 to this day is arguably better, certainly no worse, than other top-tier offerings and with a lower price tag. Ducati v4s, yamaha r1m, honda 1000rr fireblade, all more expensive than the bmw with incredibly similar performance

BMW might see this as an opportunity, just seems like a dumb move to pull such a well liked bike out of the market and leave a big hole there for someone else to fill

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
If BMW ever makes a 600cc bike it's game over for everyone else. Their 1000 to this day is arguably better, certainly no worse, than other top-tier offerings and with a lower price tag. Ducati v4s, yamaha r1m, honda 1000rr fireblade, all more expensive than the bmw with incredibly similar performance

BMW might see this as an opportunity, just seems like a dumb move to pull such a well liked bike out of the market and leave a big hole there for someone else to fill
BMW would have to be able to get down into the price range of the existing 600's.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
BMW would have to be able to get down into the price range of the existing 600's.
If the price tag of their liter bike is lower than everyone else's with the same performance, i'm sure they could compete in the 600 field easily. Especially with yamaha out of the market

Don't forget EVERYONE makes a competitive liter bike now, the market is saturated, and bmw still offers the most bang for the buck

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also, wonder how this going to impact the racing (AMA, WSBK, BSB, etc). That's a whole lot of SuperSport and SuperStock teams that run a Yamaha that will be without a 2021 bike.

Also, not just the price tag, the cost of repairs and an aftermarket. They have a lot of work ahead of them if they decide to fill that gap. I think it'll be a power vacuum and Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki will fill the void since they're already established in all of those areas.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My concern is if the R6 is gone, how many squids are going to be enticed to go up to a liter bike instead? If their first bike, could mean more injuries and fatalities.
Could not care less about squids. as far as i'm concerned sportbikes on the street are doing darwin's work

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So many comments I have in response to this.......lololol ;)
Yeah, I don't exactly agree with this statement either. I ride a sportbike on the street, and Conrad, you have mentioned running your bike on the street to race cars. So you're kind of including yourself in that statement.

Are there idiots out riding around on sportbikes? Definitely. But not all of them should receive the Darwin award. How many of them are riding 100% within the law and someone in a car hits them? Are you going to include cruisers in that statement as well?

What about all the sportbikes on the track that get sent off into the weeds because someone's ambition outweighs their talent? Didn't you go off at Putnam this year?

See my point?

Reactions: dun4791 and 1MEANGT

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yeah, I don't exactly agree with this statement either. I ride a sportbike on the street, and Conrad, you have mentioned running your bike on the street to race cars. So you kind of including yourself in that statement.

Are there idiots out riding around on sportbikes? Definitely. But not all of them should receive the Darwin award. How many of them are riding 100% within the law and someone in a car hits them? Are you going to include cruisers in that statement as well?

What about all the sportbikes on the track that get sent off into the weeds because someone's ambition outweighs their talent? Didn't you go off at Putnam this year?

See my point?
Very very rarely have I seen/heard of someone dying on a sportbike on the street while riding responsibly. Speed and riding outside their limits is almost always the main factor. On a cruiser, totally different story, but I wasn’t referring to those

If you’re racing/riding fast on a sportbike on the street you either know the risks or are an idiot. Either way the risk of something happening is high whether you accept it or not. I was specifically referring to the street because that’s where most deaths occur. EVERYONE at the track knows and understands the risks. Crashes are common, deaths are not.

Frankly it’s WAY WAY WAY too common for sportbike street riders to blame cars for every accident, when the truth is they’re normally going too fast for the conditions/their skill. If someone is riding 100+mph and a car changes lanes and the rider hits them, it’s not the cars fault, it’s the rider's for speeding in traffic and not anticipating possible issues

Reactions: dun4791

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I was riding my sportbike on the roads locally, was doing 10 under in my lane, minding my own business and a car decided he wanted to be in that spot. Laying on my horn did nothing. Me punching his passenger window did nothing. It wasn't until I had a gap between the two cars in front me that I was able to escape that situation. So by your reasoning that was entirely my fault?

Another example. Friend of mine was on I-88 going eastbound passing RT 59. He was with two other bikes, all in correct lane positions, all three doing the same speed as traffic. No road chess happening. A Chevy Astrovan being used as a taxi came down the on-ramp and cut across three lanes of traffic slamming into the side of one of the bikes, almost killing him. They weren't doing anything wrong, the driver was. So their fault?

You're painting in some pretty broad strokes and absolutes.

Now if little johnny goes out and gets a liter bike when he turns 18 and has zero experience, blasts into the side of a car at 100mph, that's another story. The US really should have licensing based on engine displacement, like European countries do. That way little johnny is forced to start on a 250 parallel twin before trying to harness 160-180hp.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I was riding my sportbike on the roads locally, was doing 10 under in my lane, minding my own business and a car decided he wanted to be in that spot. Laying on my horn did nothing. Me punching his passenger window did nothing. It wasn't until I had a gap between the two cars in front me that I was able to escape that situation. So by your reasoning that was entirely my fault?

Another example. Friend of mine was on I-88 going eastbound passing RT 59. He was with two other bikes, all in correct lane positions, all three doing the same speed as traffic. No road chess happening. A Chevy Astrovan being used as a taxi came down the on-ramp and cut across three lanes of traffic slamming into the side of one of the bikes, almost killing him. They weren't doing anything wrong, the driver was. So their fault?

You're painting in some pretty broad strokes and absolutes.

Now if little johnny goes out and gets a liter bike when he turns 18 and has zero experience, blasts into the side of a car at 100mph, that's another story. The US really should have licensing based on engine displacement, like European countries do. That way little johnny is forced to start on a 250 parallel twin before trying to harness 160-180hp.
Sounds like both you and your friends were completely in the right and got hit by a car, sorry to hear about both. I'd still say that's the exception rather than the "norm" when it comes to sportbike street fatalities. Most street deaths on sportbikes are younger (less responsible) riders, and literally every single one that I've known of was largely due to speed

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Certain types of riders are often drawn to particular types of bikes, which naturally causes them to be stereotyped. Just like it's common to say that sportsbike riders are commonly risk takers and show no concern for the law, there are plenty that don't ride that way all the time. Or that Harley guys are typically fat and tattooed with beards, they aren't all like that. Movies, social media, and personal experiences all play a role in how we perceive things like that. Stereotypes, for better or worse, end up allowing us to make sweeping generalizations while ignoring or discounting those that don't fit as exceptions.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
*Speed has never killed anyone. It’s suddenly becoming stationary that’s what gets you.

-Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

1605722787636.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The only issue I had with going from a liter bike to 600 on the street is the buzziness at highway speeds over long periods. My liter bikes had much less vibration through the clip-ons.

The 600 is easier in traffic since it’s lighter and gets about 20% better mileage.

I prefer the 600 at the track too. Less weight to manage, so easier to slow and change direction.

But I sure as hell miss the power. I’ll never deny that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Rumor they may make it a track only bike. No one is buying Supersports for the street. 600 class bikes are dying. I even heard motoamerica might be changing that class to be a more open middle weight class. Would include mt07s and sv650s etc
I wish they made track versions of a lot of bikes, honestly not sure why they don't. Like the M1000rr...probably has $5k+ worth of stuff on it just to make it streetworthy. Same with the v4r. These bikes are basically made for wsbk...what's the point of making them road bikes.

Maybe in europe people actually street ride these? Idk

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I wish they made track versions of a lot of bikes, honestly not sure why they don't. Like the M1000rr...probably has $5k+ worth of stuff on it just to make it streetworthy. Same with the v4r. These bikes are basically made for wsbk...what's the point of making them road bikes.

Maybe in europe people actually street ride these? Idk
Homologation, so they can be entered into racing series, outside of anything prototype, like MotoGP.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info