• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Saturn Rebuild

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
So I've got a 94' Saturn SW2 with 250k miles that runs great except that it burns about a quart every 500-1000 miles now.

I got a quote from one shop today and assuming the cylinders can just be honed and do not need to be rebored and pistons crank etc can all be reused an oem rebuild of the head and block should run 1300-1500 plus parts if I brought them the motor out of the car. This seemed high to me? but I've never dealt in this sort of thing. If so looks like I'll end up just rebuilding myself this summer as I'm fairly mechanically inclined and am not opposed to rebuilding an engine myself. I've R&R'd plenty of motors and transmissions but never rebuilt one.

A rebuild kit runs about 500 bucks so with a few specialty tools on top of that and some nights spent out in the garage I will do it myself if it runs that much for labor. Besides it will be good practice for whenever I decide to tear into the mustang.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I'm figuring why put a used replacement in there when I can just spend a little more time with the engine out and have a practically brand new motor? Already have an engine stand and can borrow a hoist.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Otherwise the 1.9l is super easy to rebuild. Just do everything to spec.

Yep. The ll0 is by far one of the dumbest easy engines to do any work on.

OP: Follow these links, you'll be good to go.

Engine build basics

Resolving Saturn oil consumption by drilling pistons - YouTube

^That one is huge, unless you want consumption issues again shortly after your rebuild. Aftermarket pistons DO include drainbacks, so you'll be kosher if the bores are out of round and require being hogged out.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
Thanks for the links, I was planning on drilling pistons already.

Looks like I'm going to take the plunge and attempt to rebuild. Won't start for a couple months until I can use the mustang for daily duty once weather is a bit better and have the saturn down for awhile to do a proper rebuild.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I don't doubt I will spend more than the 800 I spent for the car, but the car is actually a fantastic daily and even if I get just 100k out of the rebuild I'll more than have gotten my $$$ back and this way I'll know it's a fresh engine. junk yard you never really know what you're gettin'

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Thanks for the links, I was planning on drilling pistons already.

Looks like I'm going to take the plunge and attempt to rebuild. Won't start for a couple months until I can use the mustang for daily duty once weather is a bit better and have the saturn down for awhile to do a proper rebuild.

No problems man. Have fun!

Seems silly to rebuild it for that price. I feel like that's about what the entire car is worth.

I'd do a junkyard engine and re gasket it like mentioned above.

JY engines aren't always the best idea for these, even beyond the normal reasons. Remember, they used an inefficient piston design which leads to severe coking of the control rings, followed by excessive consumption. Combine that with inattentive owners and it's not uncommon for them to be run dry and score or spin a pile of bearings or worse. Even with a fresh JY unit, I'd be at minimum pulling apart the bottom end for a quick hone, drilling the pistons, rings and bearings. At that point, might as well just go the whole nine yards, yielding yourself an engine that will stick around for 500k.

What about the 250k trans?

If it's a standard, he's kosher. Only real issue with them is tossing the differential pin (open dif). I yanked and tore apart one of mine with 200k on it, to weld said pin. The thing was minty fresh, only a tiny bit of buildup on the Magnet and factory new looking syncros. The MP2/MP3 five speeds were damn near bulletproof.

If it's an Auto, they are prone to valve body issues and reverse slam. Both easy fixes.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
it is a stick, as I am one of many owners I am unsure if the diff pin issue has been addressed. (probably not) Although I don't drive it hard, it is a concern of mine, considering pulling trans and doing new diff bearings and quill bearing along with welding the diff pin.

This could turn into quite a project

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info