Mike
What the fucking fuck

0612091702_640.jpg

V8_audi_timing_chain_failure_repair_1.jpg

16348130976_c99e269084_z.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yup... Fuck Audi. You should see what it takes to get to the turbos on the S4. Or the o2 sensor on a W12 A8.

These cars are made to last as long as the first owner will have them and not much longer after that. Because Audi's target demographic isn't people that buy used cars. It's people that buy new German luxury cars.

Audi both needlessly overcomplicates things and then uses cheap materials in the process. Basically the worst of all worlds.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
top car/engine isn't the same as the bottom. the top pic is the procedure for doing a timing belt on a trash pile v6 audi/vw

the v8 timing chains are senselessly over complicated, and eventually fail. 30 hours of labor book time including pulling the engine. yeah, fuck all that.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
But ya I don't know that I would want to go beyond the cpo warranty and most on this site don't keep cars for 6 years or rack up 100k miles depending where you picked it up at.

The Certified pre-owned program offers 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) of limited warranty coverage.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm assuming this is an interference engine too?

Yes.

What the fucking fuck. The only way that could be worse is if Audi did it with a belt so you had to change it every 60k miles.

Funny you should say that. Audi took that challenge right up until 2007 with the 4.2. Pre-2007 cars had a timing belt that required replacement every 75,000 miles.

This is why electric is the future regardless of cost. It's infinitely simpler, doesn't have the same maintenance requirements and is smoother than any gas engine. I mean you look at that picture and just think of all the things that can fail. Audi uses garbage plastic so just one broken chain guide and you're going in there to do all that work. When my janky electric motor breaks they'll pop the subframe off, bolt another one in and bob's your uncle.

This stuff looks downright archaic.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yes.

Funny you should say that. Audi took that challenge right up until 2007 with the 4.2. Pre-2007 cars had a timing belt that required replacement every 75,000 miles.

This is why electric is the future regardless of cost. It's infinitely simpler, doesn't have the same maintenance requirements and is smoother than any gas engine. I mean you look at that picture and just think of all the things that can fail. Audi uses garbage plastic so just one broken chain guide and you're going in there to do all that work. When my janky electric motor breaks they'll pop the subframe off, bolt another one in and bob's your uncle.

This stuff looks downright archaic.
Don't have to preach about the ease of maintenance.

My RC cars all run Brushless electric systems. The torque and response is lightyears better than any nitro-methane engine. Though I miss the noise, but nothing else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info