S4 Avant timing chain

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Yup... Fuck Audi. You should see what it takes to get to the turbos on the S4. Or the o2 sensor on a W12 A8.

These cars are made to last as long as the first owner will have them and not much longer after that. Because Audi's target demographic isn't people that buy used cars. It's people that buy new German luxury cars.

Audi both needlessly overcomplicates things and then uses cheap materials in the process. Basically the worst of all worlds.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
top car/engine isn't the same as the bottom. the top pic is the procedure for doing a timing belt on a trash pile v6 audi/vw

the v8 timing chains are senselessly over complicated, and eventually fail. 30 hours of labor book time including pulling the engine. yeah, fuck all that.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Wtf are the bottom two pics then?

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
Bottom 2 pics are even missing another chain for the right cylinder head. Amazing an engine that complicated only has variable cam timing on the intake cam and not on both. Even shitbox 2.4 ecotec engines have VVT on both cams

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
But ya I don't know that I would want to go beyond the cpo warranty and most on this site don't keep cars for 6 years or rack up 100k miles depending where you picked it up at.

The Certified pre-owned program offers 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) of limited warranty coverage.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
the bottom two are of the backside of the engine fyi. so to do timing chains the engine has to be pulled/separated from the transmission. because apparently putting timing components up front is too main stream. :picard:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Where's KJ? Where's Frank to explain how people do this on their own all the time because there's forums and shit. This is madness :rofl: Why must they make their cars so GD hard to work on?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
What the fucking fuck. The only way that could be worse is if Audi did it with a belt so you had to change it every 60k miles.

Did they consult a watch maker on how to build an engine?

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is an interference engine too?
Yes.

What the fucking fuck. The only way that could be worse is if Audi did it with a belt so you had to change it every 60k miles.
Funny you should say that. Audi took that challenge right up until 2007 with the 4.2. Pre-2007 cars had a timing belt that required replacement every 75,000 miles.

This is why electric is the future regardless of cost. It's infinitely simpler, doesn't have the same maintenance requirements and is smoother than any gas engine. I mean you look at that picture and just think of all the things that can fail. Audi uses garbage plastic so just one broken chain guide and you're going in there to do all that work. When my janky electric motor breaks they'll pop the subframe off, bolt another one in and bob's your uncle.

This stuff looks downright archaic.

torquelover

Reaction score
Local used car dealer has a row of A4s '09 and up with under 100k for stupid cheap. Seems people are getting wise on buying these out of warranty.

That being said, I still might lease one of these heaps lol. What is Audi using for loaner cars these days?

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
I've gotten a supercharged A6 and a twin turbo A8 as my past loaners :rofl:

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Bottom 2 pics are even missing another chain for the right cylinder head. Amazing an engine that complicated only has variable cam timing on the intake cam and not on both. Even shitbox 2.4 ecotec engines have VVT on both cams
maybe thats the chain that broke,

the sprockets are there.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Yes.

Funny you should say that. Audi took that challenge right up until 2007 with the 4.2. Pre-2007 cars had a timing belt that required replacement every 75,000 miles.

This is why electric is the future regardless of cost. It's infinitely simpler, doesn't have the same maintenance requirements and is smoother than any gas engine. I mean you look at that picture and just think of all the things that can fail. Audi uses garbage plastic so just one broken chain guide and you're going in there to do all that work. When my janky electric motor breaks they'll pop the subframe off, bolt another one in and bob's your uncle.

This stuff looks downright archaic.
Don't have to preach about the ease of maintenance.

My RC cars all run Brushless electric systems. The torque and response is lightyears better than any nitro-methane engine. Though I miss the noise, but nothing else.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
I'm so glad my step-mom got the fuck out of her A6 when she did. That thing was such a pile of shit :rofl:

Audi :retard:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom