RWD conversion

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Anyway, I found a few different RWD conversion threads to some grand prixs, FR layout, but the photo links were all dead. Was trying to figure out what options there are for the steering rack, and how to set up the geometry right.

I'm looking at swapping in the AWD setup from an STi or Evo8 into the Bonneville.

You should just get ahold of Jeff @ EP and see if he has done anything to beef up the AWD van parts. It would not be too hard to do an AWD setup based on one of those in a Bonne/Park Ave. I looked into it, but I didn't think it would handle any torque without breaking so it would just be a nice feature for snow/mud and you'd probably have to let the bypass solenoid do its thing and just be FWD for launching anyway.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Anyway, I found a few different RWD conversion threads to some grand prixs, FR layout, but the photo links were all dead. Was trying to figure out what options there are for the steering rack, and how to set up the geometry right.

I'm looking at swapping in the AWD setup from an STi or Evo8 into the Bonneville.

Wouldn't it be a hell of a lot of less drama to use a Volvo AWD system or Saab AWD system?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Just drop it on a truck chassis.

3-1.jpg

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Wouldn't it be a hell of a lot of less drama to use a Volvo AWD system or Saab AWD system?

Which Volvo AWD, the 4t65? Because that doesn't solve the power handling issue. And same thing with the Saab AWD, also in order to still not have one-wheel-peel with the Saab F40 AWD I would still have to invest in an aftermarket limited slip differential. And unknown power handling capability. I'm all for breaking parts, I spent half of the last two years breaking axles and whatnot already.

But I want something that has been proven to hold up to 500hp. That leaves STi or Evo8 parts as far as I know.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
not saying it cant be done but it would be hell of a lot more fab to make it work even more so than a twin engine setup..... LOL

Also if your really hell bent on doing it id look at the AWD 6 speeds that are used in the newer cadillacs. you'd have to find a wrecked donor or whatever but if it can haul around a big old tank of a Cadillac im sure it would be able to handle some HP and TQ.

You plan this being a turbo setup too id assume?

Someone just needs to go basement 10s or faster in a turbo 3800 4t80 setup with out having to go full retard kill mode AWD throw the kitchen sink at it.......

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Which Volvo AWD, the 4t65? Because that doesn't solve the power handling issue. And same thing with the Saab AWD, also in order to still not have one-wheel-peel with the Saab F40 AWD I would still have to invest in an aftermarket limited slip differential. And unknown power handling capability. I'm all for breaking parts, I spent half of the last two years breaking axles and whatnot already.

But I want something that has been proven to hold up to 500hp. That leaves STi or Evo8 parts as far as I know.
A Subaru longitudinal setup would make that car handle horribly because the entire engine would have to be in front of the front wheels. Fine with a small all aluminum 4cyl, not so much with a full iron v6

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
all of these idea's are horrible shitty options besides the S10 frame/chassis... and even then... you get the joys of the s10 frame and chassis/IFS.

putting a 3800/80e where the T case would be is an odd enjoyable idea but with the trans FDR the axle diff's would need some tall gears
but yeah, ditch the 4.3L for a 3800 and an s10 frame welded to a G/H body would be awesome...and pretty durable for the most part.

didnt tightpants make a swapped rustbucket s10? that thing took off from what i remember of the vids

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I think if I was going to the trouble, I would probably figure out how to go with a trailblazer SS setup or something.

A Sy/Ty setup would be "fairly" doable if you can get space for everything. Get an earlier "60 degree" case with a detachable tail shaft, get a parts trans and transfer case from a Bravada/Astro van, swap the beefier parts in as well as the output shaft and you're golden (past ~94 the 4.3Ls used a "V8" clutch config so you'd be good there. You'd have to figure out how to mount an axle, make everything fit in a longitudinal sort of way etc. though. The T-case has been swapped into a car (there was a Merkur XR4TI set up with one eons ago floating around on the net and now there's that AWD Olds as well.) Front end wise I would think would be pretty simple in terms of suspension just because it already drives those wheels. Clearance for an axle etc. is your headache though. :)

A Sy/Ty setup would be "fairly" doable if you can get space for everything. Get an earlier "60 degree" case with a detachable tail shaft, get a parts trans and transfer case from a Bravada/Astro van, swap the beefier parts in as well as the output shaft and you're golden (past ~94 the 4.3Ls used a "V8" clutch config so you'd be good there. You'd have to figure out how to mount an axle, make everything fit in a longitudinal sort of way etc. though. The T-case has been swapped into a car (there was a Merkur XR4TI set up with one eons ago floating around on the net and now there's that AWD Olds as well.) Front end wise I would think would be pretty simple in terms of suspension just because it already drives those wheels. Clearance for an axle etc. is your headache though. :)

Well it won't be my headache...I have plenty of those already with my twincharged setup. Can't imagine throwing an awd and manual trans and longitudinal conversion into the works. Matt must have a lot more patience than me.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well it won't be my headache...I have plenty of those already with my twincharged setup. Can't imagine throwing an awd and manual trans and longitudinal conversion into the works. Matt must have a lot more patience than me.

The guy who did the XR4TI welded up a custom adapter for the Sy/Ty/Astro/Bravada transfer case and had it on a T56 which uses the same output shaft splining.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info