Rust and Sand on Spark Plug

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I didn't check my spark plugs for the past year and one loosened, stripped its threads and blew out of the head. It didn't hurt the coil on plug and the spark plug itself looks fine except for the stripped threads. I think heli-coiling the head will fix the problem.

However, as I was pulling the other plugs today to check and replace them, I noticed a problem with the back cylinder driver's side. The outside of the plug had sand and rust on it. The bottom couple threads are fine. The electrode is fine. I'm thinking I somehow got sand and water in the spark plug hole. It looks like the gasket on the spark plug cover may have leaked by the end where the spark plug coil on plug wires come in. Anyone else ever get this?

I'm going to vacuum the sand out and try to seal the gasket better. Thoughts?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Silicone the back of the coil cover whenever you change plugs, ESPECIALLY if you drive the car in the rain.

It is siliconed from the factory, fyi.

OP
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Makes sense. I took the other side cover off and discovered the same sand and rust on the back plug, although to a lesser degree. Looks like the covers need the silicone to seal properly. Thanks.

Edit-Good news is all 8 electrodes look great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom