• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Russian Airline crash

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Horrible, prayers to their friends and family's. RIP

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Makes me sad reading stories like this. I don't care what people say about air travel being safer. I have a better chance of surviving a car wreck than a plane wreck.

I still fly though.

RIP

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Makes me sad reading stories like this. I don't care what people say about air travel being safer. I have a better chance of surviving a car wreck than a plane wreck.

I still fly though.

RIP
True as that may be, go and look at the stats for what percentage of aircraft accidents are US base aircraft. There’s a reason these accidents keep happening in third world countries. Yeah, I called Russia third world. Sue me.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Reaction score
True as that may be, go and look at the stats for what percentage of aircraft accidents are US base aircraft. There’s a reason these accidents keep happening in third world countries. Yeah, I called Russia third world. Sue me.
I'd probably go with second world personally. That said after flying a prop plane from Providence to Newark I can say that US Commercial air has some seriously sketch shit too.

RIP passengers. Anyone want to place the odds of someone being found on the plane of any importance in Russian Media or politics?

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Probability of dying in a car crash 1/13,000

Probability of dying in a plane crash 1/5,800,000

Things more likely to happen to you instead of dying in a plane crash; dying of the flu, being attacked by a shark, being struck by lightning.

Air travel is as safe as it's ever been, and some odds point to dying in a plane crash at closer to 1/11,000,000

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Also, not ONE person has died since 2009 in a US certified commercial aircraft since 2009.

Stink Star Productions

You never had it so good!
Reaction score

Stink Star Productions

You never had it so good!
Reaction score
Probability of dying in a car crash 1/13,000

Probability of dying in a plane crash 1/5,800,000

Things more likely to happen to you instead of dying in a plane crash; dying of the flu, being attacked by a shark, being struck by lightning.

Air travel is as safe as it's ever been, and some odds point to dying in a plane crash at closer to 1/11,000,000
Also, not ONE person has died since 2009 in a US certified commercial aircraft since 2009.
As somebody about to fly a major airline in 2 weeks this is comforting. Also I found out I’m in a 737 which is great news because it is likely the most prolific airplane therefore all the problems have been crashed out of them at this point

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
I fly around 75-90 flights a year, and always feel safer flying than I do when I get in my car. The stats back it up.

Irrational fears fuel people thinking they are going to die or crash. Similar to shark attack’s and open water fears.

Although if that’s how I ever die I want the irony to be captured on my grave marker lol.

jason05gt

Reaction score
I fly 20-25 flights a year between work and personal vacations. I never feel unsafe. I also try to fly Boeing aircraft.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
People are scared of things they aren't used to or experience much, it's human nature. Especially when that thing is a massive plane that travels at 550mph and at 40K feet, where if anything goes wrong, it's not a place you want to be.

Commercial planes these days are the safest they've ever been. It's not even remotely close to as dangerous as any other form of travel.

Angus

Reaction score
You know what transportation provider I won’t go on?

Amtrak.

I think the new stats are probably that you’re safer running on the railroad tracks than riding on the actual trains.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't get how comfortable you guys are flying. That shit is fucking terrifying to think about. It's not a car where you can pull over...thousands of things can happen on them birds...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Reaction score
I don't get how comfortable you guys are flying. That shit is fucking terrifying to think about. It's not a car where you can pull over...thousands of things can happen on them birds...
Honestly the take offs strike me as unnatural feeling, but overall it's not terrible. The exception was a flight I too where I was turning fucking green. The one time I went skydiving I would have felt safer without the parachute even. The plane didn't even have seats ffs.

IZZy

Powered by ES
Reaction score
Also I found out I’m in a 737 which is great news because it is likely the most prolific airplane therefore all the problems have been crashed out of them at this point
I also try to fly Boeing aircraft.
By the numbers Boeing has killed more passengers than other major brands, Airbus a320 or an embraer 170/190 might be a bit safer:smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/jun/30/yemen-plane-crashes

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Analog backup systems and planes ability to fly with one engine. Hydraulic systems go out, they have backup systems. And all planes are designed to be able to sustain flight with one engine completely dead. I know the 747 had a cool little propeller that popped out when the hydraulics would go down to power the backups if needs be.

Cruising is probably the safest part of the flight. Those planes can take a ton of turbulence. Take off and landing are the tough parts, and where it seems most accidents take place.

But even with all those possibilities, you are 100x more likely to die on your way to work than flying anywhere.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
By the numbers Boeing has killed more passengers than other major brands, Airbus a320 or an embraer 170/190 might be a bit safer:smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/jun/30/yemen-plane-crashes
Growing pains I say. The 737 has crashed many times, but kept getting better after every crash
From my last 10 years of flying - I for sure prefer Airbus planes over Boeing. Maybe back in the 80's and 90's Boeing was better but far from it today. Their planes have smaller/narrower fuselages which normally correlate with the airlines putting in narrower seats, and lower ceilings. It's less noticeable on the wide body aircraft but the 787 is having nightmare problems.

A320 > 737 (especially horrendous is the new 737-900)
A321 > 757 (and I love the 757 personally).
A330 > 767
A350 > 777

I'll give you the 747 was > than the A380 whale. Plus the 747 is one of the most iconic aircraft ever made (hell of a ride on the second floor deck, probably one of my most favorite flights).

One of my most favorite aircraft isn't even Boeing or Airbus but Embraer - for whatever reason I LOVE the E-175 regional jets.

jason05gt

Reaction score
From my last 10 years of flying - I for sure prefer Airbus planes over Boeing. Maybe back in the 80's and 90's Boeing was better but far from it today. Their planes have smaller/narrower fuselages which normally correlate with the airlines putting in narrower seats, and lower ceilings. It's less noticeable on the wide body aircraft but the 787 is having nightmare problems.

A320 > 737 (especially horrendous is the new 737-900)

A321 > 757 (and I love the 757 personally).

A330 > 767

A350 > 777

I'll give you the 747 was > than the A380 whale. Plus the 747 is one of the most iconic aircraft ever made (hell of a ride on the second floor deck, probably one of my most favorite flights).

One of my most favorite aircraft isn't even Boeing or Airbus but Embraer - for whatever reason I LOVE the E-175 regional jets.

A lot of that depends on the carrier and how they configure the interior and seats. The nicest plane I’ve been on in a while was a new Southwest 737 with the new “luv” interior. The seats were thinner and that correlated into more legroom, plus it had a lot of interior touches from the Dreamliner (Lighting, overhead bins, etc.). The new MAX 737’s are supposed to be similar but much quieter and efficient.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
I also prefer Boeing for some reason, but obviously it's purely a passenger perspective. I've never had issues in the Boeings, and especially like the 800/900 737's. Was in a couple just a few weeks ago.

I never like flying the regional jets, they seem just more rickety and cramped everywhere.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I like whatever hunk of aluminum that actually gets me where i'm going on time or close to it. :dunno:

:rofl:

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fucking dreamed last night my jet was going down, we were gonna slam a mountain...... 100+ people on board... Woke up with anxiety........ Hahaha

No shit, it was intense... In the dream I said to my wife "Welp, that's it"
Woke up freaked out before impact....

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Reaction score
A lot of that depends on the carrier and how they configure the interior and seats. The nicest plane I’ve been on in a while was a new Southwest 737 with the new “luv” interior. The seats were thinner and that correlated into more legroom, plus it had a lot of interior touches from the Dreamliner (Lighting, overhead bins, etc.). The new MAX 737’s are supposed to be similar but much quieter and efficient.
Southwest does indeed (or are starting to roll out) the widest seats on 737's in the industry, but they are still under 18 inches each. It's the new Boeing "sky" interior that you're referring to. And actually Boeing is attempting to make their cabins feel larger with it, so kudos to going that route. My biggest gripe with Southwest is the lack of seat-back entertainment screens and lack of power ports. It's annoying. And that Southwest feels like Greyhound but just with more fun. But if you're flying to just get from A-B with not a lot of frills then Southwest is on point and I get it.

Jetblue and Virgin offer better economy cabins by far though, and most legacy carriers have 9" seat back screens now which is appreciated if you don't have a tablet handy.

Fucking dreamed last night my jet was going down, we were gonna slam a mountain...... 100+ people on board... Woke up with anxiety........ Hahaha

No shit, it was intense... In the dream I said to my wife "Welp, that's it"
Woke up freaked out before impact....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jason05gt

Reaction score
Southwest does indeed (or are starting to roll out) the widest seats on 737's in the industry, but they are still under 18 inches each. It's the new Boeing "sky" interior that you're referring to. And actually Boeing is attempting to make their cabins feel larger with it, so kudos to going that route. My biggest gripe with Southwest is the lack of seat-back entertainment screens and lack of power ports. It's annoying. And that Southwest feels like Greyhound but just with more fun. But if you're flying to just get from A-B with not a lot of frills then Southwest is on point and I get it.

Jetblue and Virgin offer better economy cabins by far though, and most legacy carriers have 9" seat back screens now which is appreciated if you don't have a tablet handy.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry I got it mixed up. It’s Southwests “Heart” interior layout. It does incorporate Dreamliner elements though.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/first-look-southwest-737-max-8/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom