Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Also, here's the Run & Done law for NC.

Sounds like he would need to specifically be convicted of Felony Speeding to Elude.

Meaning just a speeding ticket no matter how bad 157mph is, wouldn't be enough for a Run & Done law to seize the car.

NORTH CAROLINA TRAFFIC LAW | ‘RUN AND YOU’RE DONE” LAW EXPLAINED

A new North Carolina Traffic Law, the “Run and You’re Done” bill, has been approved and is ready to be fought out in court by Raleigh Traffic Attorneys. This bill was signed by Governor Perdue June 23, 2011 (the same time as “Laura’s Law”). This law, which will go into effect December 1, 2011, is meant to deter Felony Speeding to Elude. The “Run and Your Done” law allows North Carolina police to impound the vehicle of a Defendant convicted of felony speeding to elude. The Defendant’s car or truck will be auctioned off with the proceeds to be given to North Carolina School Systems.
Carrying a similar catchy name as “Booze it and Lose it” and “Click it or Ticket” the “Run or You’re Done” law is meant to serve as notice to the general public. The idea being that the name, being catch, will stick in the mind of anyone contemplating running from the police in a vehicle.
In 2010 in North Carolina alone, over 2100 people were issued citations for Felony Speeding to Elude. During that time, many people’s lives were put at risk, and some deaths occurred. Recently, a Defendant was found guilty of 2nd Degree Murder for the death of a police officer who crashed is cruiser while responding to a chase involving the Defendant. In addition, many of these cases of Felony Speeding to Elude of involved Defendants exceeding 100 miles per hour. In fact, just this June a Defendant was cited for going 160 miles per hour while trying to elude North Carolina State Highway Troopers on Highway N.C. 24
Luckily for some, there is an exception in the new law which protects innocent third parties. If the vehicle the Defendant is driving during the Felony Speeding to Elude belongs to someone else, the owner can regain possession of their vehicle. But, should that same owner have their vehicle used in a subsequent Felony Speeding to Elude by the Defendant, the vehicle will be taken and sold at auction.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
"Run and Done" law may cost 157 mph speeder his Camaro

I was about to say it’s very hard to prove felony evading in most cases. (Speaking as someone who was arrested for 135 in a 30) 10 years ago.....

But then I read they had to deploy spike strips. Yea he’s fucked

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I was about to say it’s very hard to prove felony evading in most cases. (Speaking as someone who was arrested for 135 in a 30) 10 years ago.....

But then I read they had to deploy spike strips. Yea he’s fucked

Didn't read the article because sit was being blocked at work.

Agree. Spike traps equal fucked.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not sure I agree with the government creating arbitrary laws to take personal property. You want to take his license, fine, but don't take the man's car.

I wonder if he could call his insurance company and declare it stolen (by the police).

I don't agree with it, but several states already have seizure laws regarding speeding or street racing.

Most of them are more towards seizure and later crushing of the car though.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
105 over the limit..... Ouch

Honestly unless they can prove everything it’s not hard to get out of. Hired a lawyer and they dropped it to 49 in a 30 without supervision.

Big ticket items like that need to be solid and their case against me was not. I can say this because I was going faster that 135. I was putting the car into 5th near 6k rpm which means I had to have been approaching 145+ which means the cop only guessed my speed.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Honestly unless they can prove everything it’s not hard to get out of. Hired a lawyer and they dropped it to 49 in a 30 without supervision.

Big ticket items like that need to be solid and their case against me was not. I can say this because I was going faster that 135. I was putting the car into 5th near 6k rpm which means I had to have been approaching 145+ which means the cop only guessed my speed.

The key is to spend the money and hire the attorney that the states attorney plans to work for in time.
Plus, they're all friends with the judge

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I was pulled over on my way home from work around 4 A.M. Nobody on the roads so I was doing over 150 on Harlem in Will County. Saw the cop's parking lights on a side street and saw him flick on his lights and pull out after me. Stopped immediately which put me around a quarter mile ahead of him. LOL.

He caught up, walked over, said "Thanks for stopping". His immediate question was "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Great! He wasn't radaring. "Uh, I don't know officer. It's the middle of the night and I'm on my way home from work. As you can see, there's absolutely no traffic."

He thought about it, ran my license, came back and said "Slow down. Have a nice night."

Lucky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info