Rules at GLD

alexd

Apr 28, 2011
I stopped going to Byron Dragstrip after they changed owners and implemented strict NHRA rules. My question is, what's the deal at GLD? I haven't been there for many years.

Are they:

Requiring a NHRA membership certificate?
Chassis inspection?
Rollcage and parachute for sub 9.9 sec. and 150 MPH?
Anything else I should know about before a long trip up there?

Alexd
GT-R

DSCN0427.JPG

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
If you’re doing the track day with us it’s a private rental so the tech will be “yep it’s a driving car with a seat belt and your battery isn’t loose”. Tell them to turn the clocks off and you can run as fast as you want, then shouldn’t have to worry about other repercussions of going to fast.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
If your battery is secured and you have a helmet, GLD won't bother you.

I don't think Byron changed owners. They just toughened up their tech inspections after a fatal wreck in 2017.

alexd

Apr 28, 2011
I had heard differently that they were the same as Byron...perhaps not though, which is why I was asking.

Now about the clocks being turned off:

1) You still get your time slip at the end, RIGHT?
2) GLD still sees and knows that you exceeded the NHRA restrictions regardless, RIGHT? (Clocks-Off is usually just done when you want to race other people and not let THEM see your times)
3) My picture is from several years ago...I'm now a de-tuned Omega 12 and should exceed my previous Alpha 9 time/speeds...unless I break something. (de-tuned to hold the trans together)

Alexd

alexd

Apr 28, 2011
If you’re doing the track day with us it’s a private rental so the tech will be “yep it’s a driving car with a seat belt and your battery isn’t loose”. Tell them to turn the clocks off and you can run as fast as you want, then shouldn’t have to worry about other repercussions of going to fast.

When is the track day?
Alexd

DSCN6239.JPG

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary

alexd

Apr 28, 2011
Just tell tech it runs 11s. They will leave you alone. I've seen people run single digit times wearing dirt bike helmets at GLD.

The reason (years ago) that I stopped going to GLD was that I was racing my nitrous Camaro Z-28 and having fun...and on the LAST RUN for the night when I was going home with friends in the back seats, I wanted to run one last time with them in the car. One of my rear-seat passengers was wearing SHORTS, and they said NO! This, despite the fact that motorcyclists were running their bikes with SHORTS on! Arguments did no good.
I never went back there again for many years...

Alexd

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
When we were there last October they were really open on everything. It was so laid back, and refreshing. My last few passes they let me run my bike against cars.

It took me longer to fill out my Tech information than it did for the tech to inspect the bike and put a number on it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I had heard differently that they were the same as Byron...perhaps not though, which is why I was asking.

Now about the clocks being turned off:

1) You still get your time slip at the end, RIGHT?
2) GLD still sees and knows that you exceeded the NHRA restrictions regardless, RIGHT? (Clocks-Off is usually just done when you want to race other people and not let THEM see your times)
3) My picture is from several years ago...I'm now a de-tuned Omega 12 and should exceed my previous Alpha 9 time/speeds...unless I break something. (de-tuned to hold the trans together)

Alexd
Yeah you still get a slip, the only person that sees your time Is the high school kid that hands out the slips, chances are they don’t know the rules and if they did they don’t care, as long as you don’t draw attention to your self you can go and knock down a bunch of 9 second passes, much faster than mid to low 9’s and they will probably start to pay attention

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info