🔧 BUILD Room for Another VW? | 2019 Golf R

minaz7r

Dec 14, 2021
Decided to revive my thread since I finally have a clear direction I want to go in with this car. Took a year long hiatus chasing some issues caused at time of install. I ended up hating the car at some points and almost sold it for an RS3 on two separate occasions.

But MOVING FORWARD. The Golf R is going to be an insanely fun DD and road racing/HPDE car and I am excited about this thing again.

I will summarize how I got here:
1) Biggest issue is the car is not able read ethanol content and thus a true flex fuel tune is out of the question for me. It's repairable but I didn't want to deal with the headache or complications from re-wiring harnesses. Took a while to get over this and decide if I wanted to spend more money on a second file for E85 or not. Also was not very happy with the EQT Stage 3 DSG tune I was locked into due to my tuner not having access to my specific DSG box code for a full custom file.
2) Car was then rear ended at a red light by a driver not paying attention.
3) While being a sad boy and still DD'ing the car, the lowered stock suspension started taking a shit and my fiance no longer wanted to ride in the car. So we started taking her Accord Hybrid everywhere. I drive all the time and after 3-4 months, I got really tired of driving that boring car. Sure 50mpg is nice, but there is no engagement.
4) Around early fall, I decided it was time to get the car sorted so I can enjoy being out with car enthusiast friends.
-Bought one of the finest coilovers you can get for this car (KW V3). That decision was easy due to a UK distributor running a massive sale at the time.​
-Got a new rear bumper​
5) Decided to gather suspension parts to just do a complete overhaul and dropped the car of at Rada Race Lab in January. I cannot believe how well this car drives and handles now. When people say KW coils make the car ride better than stock, this is what they probably mean. First drive in and my fiance said it felt like a completely different car.
6) Rear brakes were shot to the point of it being metal on metal. I had snagged a Stoptech ST40 BBK last year while it was on clearance so I used this opportunity to get that installed along with new OEM sized Stoptech stuff in the rear.
7) Realized that I have very high end handling and stoppy bits that will go to waste if it's just going to be a big turbo drag racing car. Decided that it might be fun to be a stock turbo, road carving car again. The decision was made easier by an expensive roof repair that ate into my built motor budget for this year.
8) So I grabbed a beef up stock turbo from EQT and bought custom tuning from Stratified Automotive in Canada since they were the cheapest and quickest options for both. Got the turbos swapped but decided to keep the port injection and upgraded LPFP to have a max effort setup. Now just waiting for some consistent weather to go out and take logs for the tuner, I should be getting a revised file 1-2 times per week. Even on the base map, this car is a hoot to drive. No more mashing the pedal and waiting for boost to come on. Power is instant and much more linear.

Mod list in the first post is updated with everything. Maybe Mook will stop prying for answers now.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Decided to revive my thread since I finally have a clear direction I want to go in with this car. Took a year long hiatus chasing some issues caused at time of install. I ended up hating the car at some points and almost sold it for an RS3 on two separate occasions.

But MOVING FORWARD. The Golf R is going to be an insanely fun DD and road racing/HPDE car and I am excited about this thing again.

I will summarize how I got here:
1) Biggest issue is the car is not able read ethanol content and thus a true flex fuel tune is out of the question for me. It's repairable but I didn't want to deal with the headache or complications from re-wiring harnesses. Took a while to get over this and decide if I wanted to spend more money on a second file for E85 or not. Also was not very happy with the EQT Stage 3 DSG tune I was locked into due to my tuner not having access to my specific DSG box code for a full custom file.
2) Car was then rear ended at a red light by a driver not paying attention.
3) While being a sad boy and still DD'ing the car, the lowered stock suspension started taking a shit and my fiance no longer wanted to ride in the car. So we started taking her Accord Hybrid everywhere. I drive all the time and after 3-4 months, I got really tired of driving that boring car. Sure 50mpg is nice, but there is no engagement.
4) Around early fall, I decided it was time to get the car sorted so I can enjoy being out with car enthusiast friends.
-Bought one of the finest coilovers you can get for this car (KW V3). That decision was easy due to a UK distributor running a massive sale at the time.​
-Got a new rear bumper​
5) Decided to gather suspension parts to just do a complete overhaul and dropped the car of at Rada Race Lab in January. I cannot believe how well this car drives and handles now. When people say KW coils make the car ride better than stock, this is what they probably mean. First drive in and my fiance said it felt like a completely different car.
6) Rear brakes were shot to the point of it being metal on metal. I had snagged a Stoptech ST40 BBK last year while it was on clearance so I used this opportunity to get that installed along with new OEM sized Stoptech stuff in the rear.
7) Realized that I have very high end handling and stoppy bits that will go to waste if it's just going to be a big turbo drag racing car. Decided that it might be fun to be a stock turbo, road carving car again. The decision was made easier by an expensive roof repair that ate into my built motor budget for this year.
8) So I grabbed a beef up stock turbo from EQT and bought custom tuning from Stratified Automotive in Canada since they were the cheapest and quickest options for both. Got the turbos swapped but decided to keep the port injection and upgraded LPFP to have a max effort setup. Now just waiting for some consistent weather to go out and take logs for the tuner, I should be getting a revised file 1-2 times per week. Even on the base map, this car is a hoot to drive. No more mashing the pedal and waiting for boost to come on. Power is instant and much more linear.

Mod list in the first post is updated with everything. Maybe Mook will stop prying for answers now.

I bet that rear sway bar made all the difference.

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

• Haha
Reactions: minaz7r

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
It’s not apples to apples since you have the BBK on the car but what are your thoughts on the Ferodo DS2500s? I’m considering those or Hawk HPS 5.0 I think.

The basic ceramic pads I put on my car last year are absolutely sketch now with +200hp. I’m trying to find something that will give me similar feel to the Carbotech XP8s I had on my SVT Focus but more dust/noise friendly.

minaz7r

Dec 14, 2021
It’s not apples to apples since you have the BBK on the car but what are your thoughts on the Ferodo DS2500s? I’m considering those or Hawk HPS 5.0 I think.

The basic ceramic pads I put on my car last year are absolutely sketch now with +200hp. I’m trying to find something that will give me similar feel to the Carbotech XP8s I had on my SVT Focus but more dust/noise friendly.
So I’d say these are just as dusty as the OEM pads so they may not be for you. But I’m pretty happy with them. Once you get heat in them, they bite just as well as the stock pads did for me but also keep biting.

Reactions: RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
So I’d say these are just as dusty as the OEM pads so they may not be for you. But I’m pretty happy with them. Once you get heat in them, they bite just as well as the stock pads did for me but also keep biting.
Yeah now I’m thinking I’ll just take advantage of FCP’s lifetime guarantee and just get new Zimmerman blanks and some OE semi metallic pads for now. Those should do a bit better for performance street use and then look into a track pad setup. Would love to get the car out to PPIR or High Plains Raceway this year.

Thread Info