roll cage or roll bar?

P

PearlBlue L

question... could i get away with a bar instead of a cage? i know tracks have a policy about your 1/4 time = roll bar. most people argue or have it wrong and say you need a cage and not just a bar. i know in richmond va it said roll bar 11.5 or faster.

so does anyone know track regs up here about a bar or cage? i dont want a cage, i dont want to cut up my hard tonoue and back window. coud i get away with just a roll bar?? :dunno:

wahoo

Regular
Mar 7, 2004
Here it is out of the Rule book. Except the 11.99 is now 11.49. The only way you could get away with out rear bars going to the bed is to have a funny car style cage in the truck. I've seen many trucks go with a soft cover to make the rear bars work.

From NHRA RULE BOOK

Mandatory in all cars running 11.99 or quicker, or per Class
Requirements. All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear or
side of the driver's head, extend in height at least 3 inches above
the driver's helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at
least as wide as the driver's shoulders or within 1 inch of the
driver's door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or crossbraced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. Sidebar must be included on driver's side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver's shoulders or to side bar. All vehicles with OEM frame (i.e., pickup truck where body bolts to framerails) must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame. Installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame; therefore, it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely. All 4130 chrome moly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration. Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver's helmet
may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must
have minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1.

Attachments

• cage.bmp
    102.8 KB · Views: 66
P

PearlBlue L

well there goes the pvc piping idea...lol

johnny lightning has a hard tonoue with a roll cage... he cut out the hard tonoue and put some rubber over lapping to keep the water out. its a good plan, i thought of it before i saw his, but after i saw his i knew it could be done. i just gotta find someone to make me one. and install.

S

Shane97Cobra

VenomInside said:
Would it be wise to get a cage if you plan on running mid to low 11's? (but then going faster later on)

I guess it depends on how long till you depend on going faster and how much money you have not. A full cage is going to cost you atleast double that of a roll bar. You start using chromemoly to save weight and it get super expensive. Not to mention to put in the cage you need to remove the dash, more labor on your part before taking it to a chasis person, or even more money to pay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list