Rod/Main bearing sizing

ZephTheChef

Reaction score
Since this is now a 3000GT/Stealth forum, I thought I would share some information that was posted over on 3SI. Spun bearings is a relatively common thing on 6G72s (mostly from dented oil pans, but still, always nice to find better solutions). This is something I had long wondered about on those cars but hadn't put in any serious research to try and find an answer. Basically, the rod/main bearings on those cars are significantly narrower than the rods/journals. A member over there has located some wider bearings that should work. Here is a pic of the new bearing in a rod cap so you can see how much wider this bearing is compared to the old bearing track.

Point of the story is, I haven't paid much attention to our bottom ends, but I was wondering if the same situation may be present and whether or not something similar could be applied on our engines. Even if not, I thought it was an interesting idea. Here is a link to the thread. I will be following the results closely.

Finally a solution for our narrow rod bearings. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Our cranks have a rather generous fillet at the sides of the journals because of our split pin crankshaft design.
I honestly don't think there's a whole lot of room to play with their your best option is to make sure you custom lap the rods for the journal width to have minimal rod side play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom