3800 Rocker question

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
If someone would get Rockers could you at the same time change the valve springs and retainers at the same time? basicly all of the things where the rockers go? I was watching Horsepower tv for a breif second when they showed about rocker arms and changing the valve springs and going lighter or something like that. Is this possible?

It should be able to be done. You have to put a fitting in ther spark plug hole for compressed air to hold the valves up. I doubt on the back head you could fit a valve spring remover tool, but I used to just use a deep well socket to push down on the retainer to pull out the locks. I'm pretty sure that is possible on our cars, since valve spring pressure isn't all that much. If you go that route, change the valve guide seals too. They're cheap and easy to change.

Cool, then the comp cam retainers, and valve springs will work right? with the aluminum rockers? and where can you get valve guide seals?

any more ideas?

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
yup you can change the springs and retainers. But you will go up heavier to 105lb. I'm not really sure you would want or need togo up in lbs. though. The stock springs are fine for rockers but if you want it them changed I can do the install for $125 rockers and springs or 75 for just rockers.

R

Ron Vogel

A lot of people put the LS1 springs in since the seat pressure is just a tad higher. The reason this is done is to take advantage of the upper rpm potential of the rockers. The faster the motor spins, the harder it is for the lifters to follow the cam lobes. A heavier spring helps this. You shouldn't go nuts and put a super heavy spring on, since it takes more friction to run a heavier spring. From what I hear the LS1 factory springs are dirt cheap.

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Nov 10 2003, 01:20 PM
A lot of people put the LS1 springs in since the seat pressure is just a tad higher. The reason this is done is to take advantage of the upper rpm potential of the rockers. The faster the motor spins, the harder it is for the lifters to follow the cam lobes. A heavier spring helps this. You shouldn't go nuts and put a super heavy spring on, since it takes more friction to run a heavier spring. From what I hear the LS1 factory springs are dirt cheap.
but do you need to run a cam with this or can you just do it with rockers? and where can you get LS1 springs?

I figure something to do besides the rockers and just change the gaskets, springs, retainers and what else can be done while there?

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
only spring you would want to run is the 105's it just keeps the valve's from floating on you. Little safer but robs a little power.As for injectors you have a long way before you need injectors. Most likely with rockers you won't need them till your running a 3.0 pulley or smaller. Watch your IPW's and see what they are doing.If over 5k if they are 21 or higher your going static but change out the fuel pump first. Go with the Walbro. And yea i'm pretty sure that is Alfredo. And my wife is a moderator that means this club is going to hell.

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by gtphale@Nov 10 2003, 07:02 PM
only spring you would want to run is the 105's it just keeps the valve's from floating on you. Little safer but robs a little power.As for injectors you have a long way before you need injectors. Most likely with rockers you won't need them till your running a 3.0 pulley or smaller. Watch your IPW's and see what they are doing.If over 5k if they are 21 or higher your going static but change out the fuel pump first. Go with the Walbro. And yea i'm pretty sure that is Alfredo. And my wife is a moderator that means this club is going to hell.
so i can use the walbro pump? and yea its me alfredo..:p so i might get the springs and retainers and TB spacer, the Walbro pump, and are the pushrods good to get? I heard they really dont do anything, but yet you can run an inercooler without being camed right? Sorry for all the questions its just i'm planning my route now cause i'm not rich. :(

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
yup don't need a cam to run an intercooler. You will be able to run alot of advance timing. Pushrods are very questionable if they help. I would say go with the intense lightweight ones if any.And the tb spacer is a waste,save for the ls1 tb comes with an adapter plate that works like a spacer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info