Amazon Road House

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Didn't see a thread on this yet... thought there was discussion about it. They just can't leave the classics alone...

In what would mark his first acting job in a major studio movie, two-time UFC champion Conor McGregor is set to join Jake Gyllenhaal in Prime Videoā€™s new reimagining of the classic ā€™80s action pic Road House. He joins a cast that already includes Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Lukas Gage, Hannah Love Lanier, Travis Van Winkle, B.K. Cannon, Arturo Castro, Dominique Columbus, Beau Knapp and Bob Menery.

Doug Liman is directing from a script written by Anthony Bagarozzi & Charles Mondry. Joel Silver is producing for his company, Silver Pictures. JJ Hook, Alison Winter and Aaron Auch will serve as executive producers.

The new take follows a former UFC fighter (Gyllenhaal) who takes a job as a bouncer at a rough-and-tumble roadhouse in the Florida Keys, but soon discovers that not everything is what it seems in this tropical paradise. While exact details behind who McGregor will be playing are unknown, sources made it clear he would be playing an original character and not himself in the project. The Amazon Original Movie is set to go into production in the Dominican Republic this month and will stream on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide at release.

Hollywood has been trying for some time to get in business with the UFC superstar, but McGregor didnā€™t want to just jump into anything and wanted the project he made his debut in to be the right fit. Insiders say when he got wind there was interest for him to join Road House, he actually watched the film for the first time and, after enjoying the original, was game to meet to see how he would play a part in the new film. Sources add that after a meeting with Silver, McGregor was all in and loved the idea where the new story was headed compared to the original.

The filmā€™s cast was already going to get plenty of eyeballs, but the addition of McGregor only helps that given the global reach he has over the years of headlining major UFC PPV events, and its expected those fans will tune in for this as well.

While McGregor has shot dozens of commercials for his various business ventures, Road House will be his first foray into feature films. He is repped by WME, Patrick Knapp of GGSS&C and Audie Attar of Paradigm Sports Management.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Related article:

Prime Videoā€™s new reimagining of the 1989 classic Road House starring Jake Gyllenhaal is gearing up as it has set Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Lukas Gage, Hannah Love Lanier, Travis Van Winkle, B.K. Cannon, Arturo Castro, Dominique Columbus, Beau Knapp and Bob Menery to join the cast. Doug Liman is directing from a script written by Anthony Bagarozzi & Charles Mondry. Joel Silver is producing for his company, Silver Pictures. JJ Hook, Alison Winter, and Aaron Auch will serve as executive producers.

ā€œRoad House is a homerun for us. Not only is it a nod to fans of the original, but it is also a big, fun, broad audience movie,ā€ said Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios. ā€œWe are thrilled to collaborate with Joel, Doug, and this great cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, and for them to come together to reimagine the classic MGM film as an action-packed adventure for our global audience.ā€

The new take follows a former UFC fighter (Gyllenhaal) who takes a job as a bouncer at a rough-and-tumble roadhouse in the Florida Keys, but soon discovers that not everything is what it seems in this tropical paradise.

ā€œIā€™m thrilled to put my own spin on the beloved Road House legacy. And I canā€™t wait to show audiences what Jake and I are going to do with this iconic role,ā€ said director Doug Liman.

The Amazon Original Movie is set to go into production in the Dominican Republic this month and will stream on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide at release.

ā€œThe original Road House has a special place in my heart and I am so excited to bring this newly imagined version to audiences around the world. Doug and I have each made some big, boisterous action movies and are ready to bring everything we have to this one,ā€ said producer Joel Silver.

Gyllenhaal can next be seen in Guy Ritchieā€™s upcoming film The Interpreter. Gyllenhaalā€™s work as a producer is equally noteworthy and his production company Nine Stories has established itself as a force, most recently producing Antoine Fuquaā€™s The Guilty also starring Gyllenhaal, which was Netflixā€™s #1 film for over three weeks.

Liman is a film and television director and producer, best known for directing beloved and critically acclaimed films such as Swingers, The Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, American Made, and Live Die Repeat (Edge Of Tomorrow).

Silver is returning to the beloved classic after serving as the producer on the original 1989 film. Silver has also produced or executive produced over 100 films and television shows including The Book of Eli, The Nice Guys, the Sherlock Holmes films, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the Lethal Weapon films, the first three Matrix films, Swordfish, Demolition Man, Predator and Predator 2, Die Hard and Die Hard 2, Speed Racer, V for Vendetta, House of Wax, RocknRolla, Project X, Brewsterā€™s Millions and 48 Hrs. He also executive produced the original Veronica Mars series.

Gyllenhaal is represented by WME and Liman is represented by CAA.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I think it is funny they're having Gyllenhaal be the former UFC figher when MacGregor actually is/was a UFC (MMA) fighter. Shouldn't that be switched around? Why not use the person that does it in real life actually play the part, you know, for the "realism"? :ROFLMAO:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I think it is funny they're having Gyllenhaal be the former UFC figher when MacGregor actually is/was a UFC (MMA) fighter. Shouldn't that be switched around? Why not use the person that does it in real life actually play the part, you know, for the "realism"? :ROFLMAO:
Because his acting skills are likely shit, and listening to his accent the whole movie will drive everyone, not from Ireland, up a wall.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Looks like I almost got my wish.

Rousey was going to play a female version of the character played by Patrick Swayze in the original film, but somewhere along the line it appears her attachment to the picture died on the vine. The movie as a whole, however, did not.

Thread Info