Rim/Tire Preferences

Importsnrice

The tech kid!!
Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on Rim/tire combos??

I've always felt the best way to go (if on a budget like me) is cheap wheels and expensive(nice) tires. I figure as long as the wheels look decent on the car, it doesn't matter how cheap they are especially because I'm more of a performance guy anyways.

So what do you guys think? Expensive wheels & cheap tires or cheap wheels and expensive tires? There's always Expensive wheels & tires, but think on a budget term.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
The downside to cheap wheels is usually weight. I agree on a quality tire for performance. Just because it's expensive though doesn't make it a good tire.

I run sticky summer tires for spring/summer/fall and quality snow tires on stock rims.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
I have a stock rim, painted, on a nitto now. I was on Fuzion ZR1 tires all around. Cheap yes, rode smooth, handled great, hooked good too.

KAR

Rip Riski
Reaction score
Cheap/stock rims with snow tires, nicer set of rims or the better stock rims with good summer tires.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
Considering you are gonna put down a bunch of cash either way...

depending on the car... stock rims with all seasons or snow tires and then the good rims with summer/stick tires

OP
Importsnrice

Importsnrice

The tech kid!!
Reaction score
I love stock wheels also, don't get me wrong but problem is they don't make a wide enough tire for my liking for a 16" wheel. Stock for N/A supra is 245 and I have 255 Falkens on right now but I can't go any wider than that. I found some cheap wheels that wouldn't look too bad on the car and they're wide enough so I can run 275's or more in the back and 235's or 245's in the front. I don't drive the car in the winter (got the infiniti) so I'm not worried about snow tires, but I still will be getting all seasons.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
depends what you're going for...a quality tire with a lightweight wheel is going to make all the difference if you're going for speed. if you want to be a ricer, the expensive bling bling wheel is for you.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Junk. I only listen to people that know!

But seriously I thought all seasons were good till I tried
Snows/summer only tires. 100% better

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
all seasons are fine for stock junk daily drivers. you've never driven on a set of snow tires, have you fishy?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Negative, and I am sure they are leagues above the best all season. Just stating that certain all seasons dont suck ass. They will not outdo purpose made tires.

I should start a fanclub or something. I seem to have a few :nutz:.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Reaction score
Assuming that you're not going to be selling your car and like a certain style of rim... I dont find anything wrong with forking up the cash for good rims as long as they're summer only ones because they will stay on the car for a looooooong looooong time.

Good tires will hook, but all tires will wear, so Im ok with just running some Nittos. Defiantly never running Sumittomos ever again lol.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Negative, and I am sure they are leagues above the best all season. Just stating that certain all seasons dont suck ass. They will not outdo purpose made tires.

I should start a fanclub or something. I seem to have a few :nutz:.
Though he has an auto NA supra; it's still more of a performance car only used in the nice months. He should really get some good summer tires. They're the number one most important suspension, power and braking mod IMO.

I'm running hankook ventus v12's. They're fairly cheap and handle amazing for the price. I think the wear rating is like 280.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
his sig says it has a turbo now. though it's XSpower, so im sure the engine will be ingesting chunks of turbo after it blows apart on low boost...lol. i remember seeing XSpower glues their turbos together...no joke.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yea......:mamoru:

But this is about wheels/tires. I'm just looking at it as a rwd "performance" car

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
his sig says it has a turbo now. though it's XSpower, so im sure the engine will be ingesting chunks of turbo after it blows apart on low boost...lol. i remember seeing XSpower glues their turbos together...no joke.
:rofl:

I thought I saw pics of a XSPower crossover for a different platform just break off.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
wouldnt be surprised. it's cheap chinese junk, and you get what you pay for.
i have an idea. instead of putting money into wheels, why not buy a turbo of good quality. it will save you time money and a giant headache down the road, i promise.

result of "low boost"

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Reaction score
yea, xs turbos are notorious for being cheaply made, but i think youll be ok for now. but thats beside the topic. haha. i'd say you'll want a nice set of DRs since you have a winter beater anyway. i'm running a set of nitto 555r's and LOVE them.

OP
Importsnrice

Importsnrice

The tech kid!!
Reaction score
XSPower kit yea I'm not getting wheels anytime soon it was just an idea though. XSPower "T61" isn't staying on the car, just until I fetch up some more $$$ for a replacement. I'm still gonna be running the manifold and intercooler though

OP
Importsnrice

Importsnrice

The tech kid!!
Reaction score
Gonna go look at a used journal bearing PTE6776 (Precision) on saturday. I'm not a big fan of journal (ball bearing FTW) or used turbos, but for the price, it'll do especially over the XS one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom