Richard Holdener Does a supercharged 3800

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
One of the biggest takeaways I've seen so far is that the 3800 loves timing even on E85. I've been hearing for years from the GP guys that anything over 15* of timing has no affect especially on E85 because of the 'faster flame front'
I was able to dyno my car on power tour and saw pretty good gains by going to 18* from 15* and this just more proof of that now.

I'm also interested in seeing if the L32 is actually stronger than the L67 if he ever gets around to getting the L67 running

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
One of the biggest takeaways I've seen so far is that the 3800 loves timing even on E85. I've been hearing for years from the GP guys that anything over 15* of timing has no affect especially on E85 because of the 'faster flame front'
I was able to dyno my car on power tour and saw pretty good gains by going to 18* from 15* and this just more proof of that now.

I'm also interested in seeing if the L32 is actually stronger than the L67 if he ever gets around to getting the L67 running
About 24 is max, I was able to push past 26, but it’s past MBT at that point. L32/67 really needs more compression to take full advantage of gains from e85 (with a blower anyway)

Reactions: GTPpower and sktchy

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I had coated pacesetters and they always leaked at the crossover and rusted :rofl:
I had the S&S, they were smaller primaries, but much better design except for the collector flange. I welded in a ball and socket flange and it never leaked. I sent my headers to jet-hot, and they held up pretty well

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
You can really pick up power by adding timing, especially with smaller pulleys, but you have to remember that with e85 it becomes way more likely to detonate or preignite. Either of those creates more cylinder pressure than even a huge turbo build.

With a turbo that's in it's efficiency range, you usually pick up more leaving the timing low and crank the boost.

Reactions: sktchy

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I've always figured going compound can't be anymore restrictive than just running the supercharger alone and would make gobs more power.
In theory if he were to turn the turbo up to 20 psi and keep the same blower on the pulley this would produce around 40 psi at least on paper. The supercharger would still rob power though and create heat so obviously not ideal

Sounds like this thing is going to be making an appearance on engine masters. Can't wait to hear what Freiburger has to say about this engine, I wish they would've put this in the Rotsun instead of the 4.3l. I know Dulcich is going to crap all over this thing though :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info