ribs - Ribs - RIBS!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's ribs time at my house. Yeah! I'll give you guys a run through on the methods I'm using this time.

1. Removed silver skins and let ribs rest at room temp. for an hour. Don't skip the silver skin removal. It's not that hard to use a sharp knife and paper towel to cut and grab the silver skin and pull it off. Makes a noticeable difference in how the ribs chew. Silver skin is gross.

2. I'm using my Weber Coffee Rub because I have plenty of it and it tastes good. Could just as easily have used another store bought or made my own. Just experiment like I do and try different rubs until you find one you like best.

I sprayed the ribs with oil to help the rub adhere, rubbed them liberally and let them rest while I prepared the grill.

3. I preheated the grill on high to get it well past the 225* temp I'm aiming for, cleaned the grill with a brush, rubbed it with oil and turned off 2 of the 3 burners. I will be cooking these ribs indirectly so I have the back burner lit and the ribs in front.

4. I added 1 of 2 Apple wood foil packs directly over the flame. I'll add the other in half an hour or so. I added the ribs and closed the lid. I'm not using a water pan this time because I'm going to Texas Crutch them and that should give me plenty of moisture. You can see I have my temp. sensor in the grill so I can keep a remote eye on the temps. I'm currently at 244* after everything has settled in. I'll try to keep it between 225-250* for now.

Rubbed and resting to bring the meat temp. up:

nenn7ux.jpg

Ribs on the grill with a foil pack in the background and the temp. sensor to the right:

12vhvCC.jpg

SPECIAL BONUS PICS! You guys see my N.Y. Strip I bought a couple days ago? I cut it up and vacuum sealed the steaks. Too much fat cap on this one (extra money for store) but the meat looks/feels good:

qHfzaZp.jpg

Here's the end result ready for the freezer. 16 steaks at $4 each:

hVCm26B.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I added the 2nd wood foil pack after half an hour. Now, I will let them slow cook for another hour and a half or so until it is time to crutch them. For spare ribs you can use the 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours crutched, 1 hour unwrapped method but you need to cut those times down a bit for baby backs which is what I'm cooking today.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
A bit over an hour into the cook and the smoke aroma is coming on strong around my house. The foil packs should run out soon and that is all the smoking I will be doing. Another hour or so and I will check the ribs and crutch them if they have a good, cooked rib appearance. Still have not opened the grill except for one very quick check that dropped the temp to 189*. Opening the lid is a no no.

I turned the heat down just a little and it has settled on 232* which is good.

More pics to come when I Texas Crutch the ribs.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
2 1/2 hours in and time for the Texas Crutch. I'm using Johnny Trigg's special blend of products since he wins - Wins - WINS! at ribs competitions.

Here's the stuff:

QMxKCRl.jpg

Slather it in amounts similar to these:

938dbQL.jpg

The ribs. Not done yet but starting to look good.

tJFjN3I.jpg

Place a rib meat side down on the crutch ingredients and bend up the foil. Splash a few tablespoons of apple juice on top.

FK5zlsp.jpg

Double wrap the ribs tightly in foil and put them back on the grill. I put them meat side down and will flip them over in about an hour. No idea if one way is better than the other so I will do about an hour on both sides. After that I will unwrap them and finish them with another hour on the grill. The ribs should get plenty of moisture from the apple juice and crutch ingredients. They will almost be braising in the foil.

SEy9Bir.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Ribs picked up the moisture and flavor from the crutch and it's time to take them out of the foil and finish them on the grill. The rib bone ends are starting to be visible so we're getting close. Another hour or so unwrapped and then I will sauce them and crank up the heat to caramelize the sauce.

BTW, a small piece "fell" off the ribs so Amy and tried it. Really good and flavorful. The ribs almost don't need sauce because of the rub/crutch flavors.

bd9o9Q5.jpg

I could have cut some of the meat off this one. It's thick. Will take longer than the other slab.

J7sqIZE.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
OK, just finished eating. Honest impressions are the ribs were well cooked and tasty but... I would have liked a little more spice and I should have trimmed some of the excess meat off the ribs so they weren't so thick. I told Amy this and she said "You're way too critical of your cooking. They're great." So, not perfect but at least great. LOL

We compromised on the corn. She said no to the Mexican mayo but agreed to Taragon. Sweet smokey flavor from Taragon goes well with melted butter.

EPrIkQA.jpg

This is a good bite.

tRe46RA.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed "rib" day.

Oops. Forgot the "finished" pic:

omO72BI.jpg

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Thanks. I'm a little concerned about mixing coffee rub with Trigg's crutch ingredients. It's either going to be spectacular or too spicy.

I'm trying to get Amy to let me make Mexican corn on the cob. She just wants butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ts1bju5M53k

Real Mayo, Cojita cheese, Cayenne Pepper, lime, and butter are the only ingredients for a real elote. This coming from a Mexican who makes these all the time. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info