🔧 BUILD Reviving The Cherry Popper - 1980 Scout

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Another good day for the old scout today.

Got the motor mounts placed and tacked in, then installed the steering brace and set the motor in place.

PXL_20220710_003246063.jpg

My buddy who is an excellent welder was busy today but maybe he can swing by tomorrow and buzz the mount the rest of the way in.

Then set about finishing the wiring harness off. Got the front lamp harness and engine harness 98% done. Also got the rear lamp harness strung to the back and the passenger side connected up before I ran outta gas.

PXL_20220710_003306754.jpg
PXL_20220710_003250859.jpg

PXL_20220710_003248460.jpg

It sure is fun looking at this thing with the lift on it. I've wanted to do this for over 25 years. Finally getting it done.

She thicc

PXL_20220708_001353579.jpg

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
More scouting today!

Finished the rear wiring off with the exception of the gas tank connections - I need to do some reading on how that shit gets wired up.

PXL_20220710_233506787.jpg

Then I got the trans and transfer case in - had to pull the case and re-clock it which took a couple hours but it was buried in the floorboard as it was and that wouldn't work.
I was able to rework the stock crossmember so I'll be returning the one I bought from Anything Scout and put that towards carpet.
Didn't take any pics of that, was a jam session.

PXL_20220710_233516929.jpg

Then my buddy came over and welded the motor mounts in place, so it definitely won't be falling out.

PXL_20220710_233528103.jpg

I got the driveshafts measured and will drop them off to be modified. Rear is getting shortened, front lengthened and a CV added.
My fuel system shit showed up today so tomorrow after work I'll go back out and get that all finished up.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
It runs, have a few bugs to work out. But it runs. I wanted to get a good video for you guys before I said much more.

Bugs:

1) Not getting much cooler flow out of trans, does anybody know if 6L80E's pump the cooler circuit in park?
2) Not getting fire out of 1-3-5-7 but I bet I missed a ground somewhere.
3) Fuel pump wiring in the swap harness was not activating the pump, I think the E38 controller is switching ground not power.
4) Fuel leak at the pump assembly where it connects to the pressure line.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Not sure on 1 but it's worth noting that the pumps in most autos are variable displacement these days.

Also, almost all electronics have the box go to ground not to hot e.g. your other end of the relay needs to go to power. Don't forget to swap the relay terminals if you've got an internal diode in the relay

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Scout is home, took it to get exhaust yesterday.
There was no room on the passenger side for duals so I had them run the pass side pipe under the motor and Y it all together behind the transfer case into a single 3" tailpipe.
I'm happy with the sound.
I need to:
redo the front brakes and check out the front wheel bearings
get the toe set
tune it
get transfer case shifter installed
order/install carpet and rear interior panels
finish bolting the passenger seat down
get a/c charged
then it's time do some serious driving of this bitch.
Montana in 4 weeks

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Scout is home, took it to get exhaust yesterday.
There was no room on the passenger side for duals so I had them run the pass side pipe under the motor and Y it all together behind the transfer case into a single 3" tailpipe.
I'm happy with the sound.
I need to:
redo the front brakes and check out the front wheel bearings
get the toe set
tune it
get transfer case shifter installed
order/install carpet and rear interior panels
finish bolting the passenger seat down
get a/c charged
then it's time do some serious driving of this bitch.
Montana in 4 weeks

Front brakes and wheel bearings are about done, I need an inner seal that I didn't have so had to leave it 80% done for the evening.
Passenger side is completely back together. Drivers I need that seal for then I'll finish packing the new bearings and jam it together. The rotor is on the hub and the caliper has been changed.
Good thing I tore into them, the drivers wheel bearings had been hot and the grease was broken down, they wouldn't have made the trip.
Also tidied up some wiring and installed the new transmission dipstick - old one hit the hood.
I'm gonna leave work at noon tomorrow and head back out - finish the brakes, change the oil, bolt passenger seat down, fuck with the toe and hopefully drive it around out there a little bit.

I was off by a week in my timeline, 3 weeks from tomorrow we will be in Montana.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Succesful-ish day.
Brakes are finished, bled the shit out of them and am getting stopping power but not the best pedal. Definitely room for improvement here.
Finished bolting the passenger seat down.
Fucked with the alignment some, need to do more.
Drove it around my buddies field, it still drives like an old 4x4 lumber wagon. The springs suck but Alcan will fix that for me this winter.
Did some dicking with the tune too, it idles rock steady at 800. I think I can lower it some though.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Succesful-ish day.
Brakes are finished, bled the shit out of them and am getting stopping power but not the best pedal. Definitely room for improvement here.
Finished bolting the passenger seat down.
Fucked with the alignment some, need to do more.
Drove it around my buddies field, it still drives like an old 4x4 lumber wagon. The springs suck but Alcan will fix that for me this winter.
Did some dicking with the tune too, it idles rock steady at 800. I think I can lower it some though.

Sounds healthy

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Brought Scout home yesterday, it just barely fit in the garage door - about 3" clearance.
Carpet showed up, ran to the farm and pulled the t-case shifter off of the stock case so gonna spend today: pulling seats, installing more hush mat, installing t-case shifter, installing carpet then install sill plates and the rear interior panels and wire the speakers in the back.
Only big parts I'm waiting on now is shifter cover, extended shackles for front and the bumpers. Monday I'm gonna start shaking trees. 2 weeks from today we'll going to be wheeling in the black hills/Rushmore.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Got a lot done, didn't get it all done.
Pulled the seats, cleaned the floors all up as they were filthy with gravel dust then put down what was left of the kill mat and laid the carpet down.
We got the rear completely done - kill mat down, carpet trimmed and one of the og side panels installed completely.
I may go fuck with the other side rear for a while tonight and try to get it done.
The front we got one layer of kill mat down on but I'd like to do another - it got super hot inside with the exhaust running underfoot - so ordered another box of mat. It'll be here Tuesday.
We did trim the carpet to fit and lay it in place. I'm jacked with how it looks. Too nice for this old truck!

PXL_20220828_221539533.jpg

PXL_20220828_221812539.jpg

PXL_20220828_221532080.jpg

Also decided to order new speakers - Shawn1112 Shawn1112 what are guys using these days for speakers? I've got holes for a pair of 6x9 and a pair of 6.5's. If I can get a powered sub under the seat bases I may add one of those eventually.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get the transfer case shifter hung and pull the dash back out while waiting on more kill mat for the front floor.

Thread Info