• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Return fuel potential issues, ideas inside.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Im gonna start working on the Cobra again soon and the next task is installing the return fuel system parts. They consist of the Fore Triple Return system with GSS342's and all the other related stuff.

Im gonna drive this car, and there will be times I am driving under 1/4 tank of gas. (Im gonna rocket through gas (E85) cause it uses so much more than regular gasoline) so I need to have some piece of mind if I lay the hammer down.

My Marauder sucked the basket dry when it was under 1/4 tank with only 2 pumps....had to go to a sumped tank to fix it. I refuse to have any pumps/lines/sump visible from the back of the Cobra, so I have conjured up an idea.....

I am toying with the idea of installing a 1-2 gallon mini fuel cell in the trunk that is tied into the fuel system in some way. It will get filled up with a T-Fitting from the return line. Then a -10 line will go out the bottom to a fitting in the top of the tank and allow fuel to enter the tank basket via a boost controlled valve (that only opens at a pre-set psi) Then when Im back to cruising the tank will fill back up and the process repeats.

Be honest, is this crazy? Is there an easier way?

Discuss!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Im gonna start working on the Cobra again soon and the next task is installing the return fuel system parts. They consist of the Fore Triple Return system with GSS342's and all the other related stuff.

Im gonna drive this car, and there will be times I am driving under 1/4 tank of gas. (Im gonna rocket through gas (E85) cause it uses so much more than regular gasoline) so I need to have some piece of mind if I lay the hammer down.

My Marauder sucked the basket dry when it was under 1/4 tank with only 2 pumps....had to go to a sumped tank to fix it. I refuse to have any pumps/lines/sump visible from the back of the Cobra, so I have conjured up an idea.....

I am toying with the idea of installing a 1-2 gallon mini fuel cell in the trunk that is tied into the fuel system in some way. It will get filled up with a T-Fitting from the return line. Then a -10 line will go out the bottom to a fitting in the top of the tank and allow fuel to enter the tank basket via a boost controlled valve (that only opens at a pre-set psi) Then when Im back to cruising the tank will fill back up and the process repeats.

Be honest, is this crazy? Is there an easier way?

Discuss!
You're always like a mad scientist with this stuff. :p I'm going to be in the exact same situation, but my solution will be to fill up a bit more frequently. Like you, I rarely let the tank get below 1/4 and never race with it under that. I'm going to see what kind of range I get on a tank of E85 before I start looking into other options. I've always followed the K.I.S.S. principle and my fuel system, if practical, will reflect that approach.

Good to see you're going to be a guinea pig with this though. :biggthump Keep us posted with what you wind up doing and how it works out.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the bother and added weight for a mere 1-2 additional gallons.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Its not for the added fuel capacity gnxs (is your name Larry?) its to keep the basket full so the pumps wont go dry. (when under 1/4 tank of fuel)
Yes.

Gotcha. How big is the tank in a Marauder? I guess I assuming your tank is larger than a Cobras'. In my smallish (16 gal?) Cobra tank I'm still expecting to go ~200 miles before beaing at 1/4 tank. No doubt though that you don't want to starve the pumps.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Yes.

Gotcha. How big is the tank in a Marauder? I guess I assuming your tank is larger than a Cobras'. In my smallish (16 gal?) Cobra tank I'm still expecting to go ~200 miles before beaing at 1/4 tank. No doubt though that you don't want to starve the pumps.

My Marauder tank is 19 gallons and I never get more than 200 to a tank (unless Im cruising on a long trip)

I beat the SNOT out of my cars. :clap:

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I don't think you'll have problems with sucking the basket dry in Cobra tank, 03-04 Cobra tanks are baffled tanks , it prevent from sucking the basket dry.I never had problems on my car even when my low fuel light comes on.
I know, my concern is more capacity than fuel starvation. E85 and 16 gallon tank (of which only ~10-12 is usable in "anger") might prove unacceptable.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I know, my concern is more capacity than fuel starvation. E85 and 16 gallon tank (of which only ~10-12 is usable in "anger") might prove unacceptable.
On that note Im glad Im sitting on the sidelines watching this unfold. Im pondering going e85 but want to see more feedback.

Its not for the added fuel capacity gnxs (is your name Larry?) its to keep the basket full so the pumps wont go dry. (when under 1/4 tank of fuel)

Zack just dont go on long trips LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info