• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Retrofitting Projectors in ma boat!

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
:io:

Well, I never post car shit related here in TCG since there's too many cool people here and I tend to hang around with broke as shit people like me lol, so here it goes.
I will be retrofitting projectors to my headlights.
I have a used but in great condition set of MGM headlights, I was going to blackout or remove the chrome so they will turn in to Marauder. But, I thought about going further. Instead of blacking out the internal bezel I will paint it to match the body of my car, the color is dark green metallic (P5) which is super rare, only used on some 02 and 03 MGM.
As for the projectors I have bought a set of morimotos 7.0, they will work as low beam and high beam since they have a cutout solenoid. I will be making my custom harness so that it is plug and play, I will use 3 relays, one for each ballast and a third one with a diode for the high beams so that when I switch to the high beams the low beams will remain on without powering off the relays. I will use 9006 sockets too PnP.
But not just that, I currently have marauder corner lights on, I will be using another set of MGM corners and I will open them too and I will paint them to match the body as well. Also I will turn the cornering light in to an actual turn signal. For this I will simply add a 5 pin relay in the wiring so that when the turn signals are on it will make the cornering lights blink, I will replace the clear bulb for an amber one.
The paint, primer and clear is on it's way along with the adhesive sealant, talking about the adhesive I found this roll...
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/a...etrorubber-butyl-glue-50258.html#.VxlIDPkrJD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFXYRt_nD0

more pics later...

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, so I got the paint and I'm pretty much ready to start opening the housing's but the fucking adhesive strip is currently out of stock from the TRS and it's in back order. I hate fucking waiting...
What other adhesive sealant is good for this kind of project? I am more inclined to JB welding but honestly hate working with it because it's a mess handling it. Any other suggestions?

Pic of the paint....

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Ok, so I got the paint and I'm pretty much ready to start opening the housing's but the fucking adhesive strip is currently out of stock from the TRS and it's in back order. I hate fucking waiting...
What other adhesive sealant is good for this kind of project? I am more inclined to JB welding but honestly hate working with it because it's a mess handling it. Any other suggestions?

Pic of the paint....

Are you talking about jbwelding the housings shut? Most places sell butyl rope.

I have used this stuff to close up taillights in the past.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retrorubber-butyl-glue-50258.html#.VyDc0PkrLZI

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Update,
I removed the oem wiring out of the housing, luckily for me the whole left in there came up perfect for the wiring that I will be doing with the HIDs and the high beam solenoid, I will add some sealer when ready...

I placed the housing in the oven at 280* for 7 minutes, it worked out perfect..

Then I removed the chrome bezel and cleaned it with some simple green cleaning solution, it removed the chrome leaving a gloss black finish. This is like making instant marauder headlights..

and here is how it will look but without the chrome.

My next step will be removeing the old adhesive and painting the bezels. Now part of me wants to just leave them black like a marauder. hmh?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Nice! I just got the mini D2S square projectors and everything for the retrofit on my Silvy. I'm still on the fence about getting butyl for resealing because the Silverado headlights don't take well to being baked, they have to be cut open with a Dremel and resealed with silicone.

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
As parts arrived I started to put them together.
A got these plug sockets from ebay that I used on the reflector, as parking lights. I got a sylvania led.

Then I started to work on the projector, the assembly was pretty much straight forward, only one tiny issue was that the clip bracket wouldn't screw all the way in so I grinned the bulb whole a little bit... then I worked with the wiring.

20160530_145958_zpswqcwszbk.jpg Photo by goldpanther | Photobucket

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
I took the housing out to the car for testing and leveling and aligning the lighting pattern. incredibly the pattern was perfect LOL didn't have to align. I also must mention that I didn't glue the lens back in yet, and as for my painting project to paint the bezel green, I will not paint it anymore. What happens is that the lens has a few chips and since all the chrome was removed they because more visible. I decided to live them black as marauder. Also I may sell them later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info